User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  12

Thread: Classifieds Confusion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Classifieds Confusion

When a person is looking for a piece of equipment to purchase he or she wants to be able to look at what is available and not what has been available for 200 days or more but if you delve deeply enough you will find out if it is still available or not! The would be buyer doesn't want to have to wade through piles of already sold stuff.
    Currently some of the items under Ausphot have the word SOLD at the beginning of the ad. so why cannot it (and all the others) be removed instead of clogging the list? Then there are those which you have to click on and find several posts later that it has been sold! This is just soooo frustrating. Surely with all the technology available these redundant for sale items can be removed. Then there might be just three items left for sale instead of 300.
    Phil.
    Equipment: Panasonic Lumix FZ2500, Weifeng WF-717A tripod, Manfrotto 560B-1 Monopod.
    Software: Corel PaintShop Pro x9 + Corel Painter Photo Essentials 4
    - Beauty and Design in Nature - do you see it?

flickr

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The SOLD addition is added by myself or another mod when we notice that the person selling the item has marked it as sold. We don't watch the classifieds like hawks waiting to swoop on each and every post. So we tend to mark those ones as sold when we either notice it in the thread, or the seller sends a PM to one of us saying it is sold. Some we have not looked at may not get the SOLD added.

We do not remove the threads because people might want to see if someone has a good selling history in relation to their sales. Members are allowed to post to the classifieds threads giving feedback once they bought/sold an item, on efficiency, payment, goods as described, etc. So all ads remain so that a history of traders exists.

Remember that we used to have classifieds and we removed that site feature due to all the trouble and time that the classifieds forum took up. We re-created a new classifieds forum as a trial initially to see if it could be a part of this site, without it needing daily management. We do not charge a fee or commission to people to use the classifieds forum. Ausphotography is not a trading site! We merely try to offer a place for active members to trade some gear.

Simply, I and the mods have better things to do with our time, than troll through ads to see what has sold and what hasn't.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant mongo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phil, Mongo understands your comment. However, overall, Mongo has to agree with Rick on this. We all but begged to get the classifieds back. We were given another chance. One of the bases we got them back was that it would not be a burden to the mods/administration and no bun fighting, etc etc

If it is to be the members' classifieds/facility, we really have to do a number of things for ourselves instead of expecting it all to be done for us.

1. If you advertise, please have the good sense and courtesy to others to keep your ad immediately up to date by posting a SOLD message in the ad. Because we cannot edit our mucher earlier posts, You can do this by further posting to your original ad, in which case it may appear at the bottom of a few posts in that ad. It may be a little inconvenient to read through them but not a biggie to be able to have the benefit of the classifieds. You can also create another thread for the same item and just show it as SOLD. People looking at the classifieds may well see this later SOLD notice before they look at any older ads for the item.
    the same should apply if you advertise to buy something you are looking for and then find it or no longer want it.

2. As suggested by Rick, PM the mods notifying of the withdrawal, or sale etc. if you have more than one notice, try and tell the mods in the one PM rather than multiple PMs if at all possible.

Since the classifieds were returned, Mongo thinks they have been very useful and a general benefit to members. Mongo urges all to use some good sense and courtesy to each other to help run and retain the classifieds in a befificial way for all.

(or Mongo will come around and eat something near and dear to you !!)..........
    Last edited by mongo; 16-02-2014 at 1:56pm.
    Nikon and Pentax user

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick,

Sure I agree with all you say and I also fit the description in your last sentence. Although I am retired I have two young sons to look after and have no time to troll through all the listed stuff to see if it has been sold or not. At the moment I am looking for a good long lens so I need to pounce quickly either here or on Gumtree or anywhere else. I can't really justify the new price for anything for just a hobby.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Mongo - shapen your teeth!
    Anyone with a good long lens or zoom for Canon (at least 400mm) please let me know!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rick, just out of curiosity would it be possible/practical to have a check box available for the seller to click on that would show a sold tag on the original listing or is it tricky to do.
    Nikon, D750, D5000, 35mm f/1.8, 18-55mm & 55-200mm kit lens,
    Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, Sigma 120-400mm, Sigma 150-600S, SB-910, Metz mecablitz 58 AF-2
    Manfrotto 680B Mono + 234RC tilt, 055XPROB + 804RC2.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ROA44 View Post
    Hi Rick, just out of curiosity would it be possible/practical to have a check box available for the seller to click on that would show a sold tag on the original listing or is it tricky to do.
    The Sold is a prefix (one of the site features), and like everything else, it locks for editing by members 60 minutes after the post/thread is made. There is not a feature that allows us to amend access permissions for editing etc based on forum.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mods
    i have just left a reply in classifieds, i purchased the cf cards from jim d a while ago, and there is none left
    cheers macca

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macmich View Post
    mods
    i have just left a reply in classifieds, i purchased the cf cards from jim d a while ago, and there is none left
    cheers macca
    Done!