Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  13
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TIme to look at new system

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIme to look at new system

Am currently looking at building a new system that's the easy part. But don't know enough about differences between DVI-A D & I, HDMI or Display port (DP) connections. (Don't need to get to Technical).

I know DVI-A analogue, DVI-D digital and DVI-I does A & D.

HDMI is considered the better of the @ by most but know nothing about DP.

The board I'm considering is an ASUS M5A99X-EVO-R2 or Pro-R2.
    CPU AMD AM+X6 FX6300 or X8 FX8320

G/Card still thinking probably around the $150 mark MSY prices.

OOps Time to take daughter to rehab. Cheers for now.
    Nikon, D750, D5000, 35mm f/1.8, 18-55mm & 55-200mm kit lens,
    Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, Sigma 120-400mm, Sigma 150-600S, SB-910, Metz mecablitz 58 AF-2
    Manfrotto 680B Mono + 234RC tilt, 055XPROB + 804RC2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any new monitor will support digital input so you may as well use it. The choice between them doesn't really matter much.
    Cards are favouring display port and HDMI because they're much smaller to fit and give the impression of being more modern, but you can get a cable or dongle to plug from any one to the other.
    DVI won't carry an audio signal which in theory makes it not as good, but who plays the sound out of their monitor?
    If you're connecting to an AV receiver then hdmi is the answer though. It'll take the video and audio with just a cable and the receiver will do all the switching.
    Google the the connector types all at once and you'll get a heap of detailed descriptions.
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dvi+hdmi+or+display+port

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you building it yourself, or is someone else doing the assembly?

Reason I ask, is...

if DIY: hold off on graphics card for a while yet.

AMD has very good onboard graphics capability!
    This is what I'm using, and I've not yet seen any reason to replace my graphics card.

short story:
    My sis had a PC with a separate graphics card. Thing went AWOL, so not having the ability to nip down the shops late on a Sunday to get her one, I used my graphics card, and reverted my PC to the onboard graphics chip.
    This is now over 2years ago!.

Even tho the graphics chip is considered to be onboard(the motherboard), the way that AMD systems operate is that the CPU does a lot of the graphics processing too.

ie. get the FX8350!!

If someone else is doing the build, and the issue of coming back at a later time to install the graphics card is going to be painful .. then of course get a card.
    OR!! if you're into gaming, and high frame rates are of interest to you.

For almost all other purposes(including photo editing on a hobby scale!) .. the onboard will suffice .. until you need multiple monitor support!

BTW, you should still have a HDMI connection on the mainboard for connection to the screen. Best advice is to use that too.
    And don't spend big money on a uber HDMI cable .. waste of money. They're all the same, unless they have unique features such as right angle connectors, or something .. don't buy into the gold plated garbage either!

I've also been looking recently into a new graphics card too. I eventually want it for the multiple monitor support and more importantly the DisplayPort connections!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Arthur, thank you re G/cards I was looking at it from multiple monitors and am using 2 at the moment and operating between 2 computers so 3 screens. One comp. for internet and general use the other for photos and it is that one that is playing up and still haven't had time to look at it. But can down load new images through a laptop. But to save $170's on G/card does sound good.

Got a bit of time but not much need it for the course I'm now doing so my son in-law may be around very soon.
    Also need to up grade Operating platform.

I was talking to some one today and they recon they moved away from AMD due to configuration conflicts with their later systems but this could be sales talk not sure or just prefer Intel.

Regarding cables I agree a relative of ours has grown up in the industry along with his son, MSY $10's all the rest is just hype and ego tripping and where there may be a difference then you need the rest of the gear to notice it.

WIll do a bit more research through other sources

I am comfortable with assembly but do fall down with the proper configuration side of things and usually go with the standard config. and hope things iron themselves out with a few re-starts and adjustments.

Always appreciate you input sadly some goes over my head but still enjoy.

Cheers for now.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL! should'a checked the specs of the motherboard before posting!

(so i just did) .. that board doesn't have any onbaord graphics anyhow
    I had a quick look, but not too in depth tho, on the ASUS website and it doesn't appear that any 990 systems do.
    Nor for that matter do any of the slightly slower(but still capable 970 series boards neither).

So it seems for now, for any onboard graphics you have to drop back to 890/880 series boards.

(990/890/880 is the series of chips that AMD release to manufacturers that control the flow of data to the CPU and so forth. Some mfgs use the actual chip numbers, obviously ASUS drops the zero in their naming conventions).

Generally, the higher number is the better(faster) chipset type.

So 990, is faster than 890 which is faster than a 880 .. and so on.
    Always go with the higher specced system, even if it's going to cost you a lil bit more in the short term. Mine is now over 4 yo, closer to 5 now and is still running sweet as!
    That is, I didn't go too far back in the tech pecking order, and because the system still runs more than quick enough .. there's no reason to update.
    My sis, who always buys stuff I recommend her NOT too(DELLs, HPs, and now an ACER ), has updated her PCs 3 times in the past 4-5 years

So back to the topic: err, which card, which connect system .. dunno and dunno!

I'd say look for a card with displayport to start with. I'll have a look for some myself too(as I am interested in one for myself too)
    I'll let you know what could work for ya.(we seem to have similar price constraints too).

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Arthur just looked at this one $187 MSY Adelaide. Sort of looking around the mark 1 X PD, 1 X HDMI & 1 DVI-I, 1 DVI-D 2.
    Motherboard should have read M5A99FX EVO or Pro 2 (Sabertooth 990FX looks nice)

http://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/...OTH_990FX_R20/
    https://www.asus.com/au/Graphics_Cards/R7260XDC2OC2GD5/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a big fan of the asus gear although I only use intel CPU's so I have no idea about that side of things but the Sabertooth boards are fantastic can highly recommend having several (intel ones) in service now for sometime.

If you do decide to go down the intel path let me know.

Also I assume you'll be using a SSD for your operating system etc Stay away from OCZ drives though......
    Last edited by JJM; 14-02-2014 at 11:16pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi JJM thank you for your input output that is what it's all about (sorry some words to part of a song) Yes I am going to go with SSD, decided probably a good idea to get out of the dark ages mine probably about 10 year old motherboard the other about 7-8.
    Sabertooth probably pushing the $'s just a bit already being threatened with a trip to Paris or Tuscany so need to be careful.

Why she doesn't want to go Barra fishing around the top end no idea.
    AMD processors just that bit cheaper and X8 core.

As it stands trying to go as far as possible $'r wise but trying to be a little conservative the mention of a variable ND Grad I don't think went down to well at this point. So will look at another P series Cokin.

Have you heard of any set up problems with AMD processors and G/cards at all.

Cheers for now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With SSD's I have a number of Samsung drives in machines I have built in our office and I can high recommend them.

AMD I really have never used one or even looked at them so I have no idea but yes certainly cheaper than a 8 core Intel (not that I can see you ever needing all 8 cores). I have zero performance issues with my personal 3930K CPU machine and I have a number of 4670K and 3570K machines in our office that are heavy use and no one complains about speed, admittedly their main use is 3D CAD which seems to also be heavy on graphics as well as CPU. What are you planning to cool your CPU with, just the standard cooler or....?

I do know I have had some program compatibility issues using ATI cards though with certain programs (CAD) so I have steered away from them in recent years.

These benchmarks might be interesting for you though

http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/im...ERI-APU-54.jpg

http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/im...ERI-APU-75.jpg

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just had a new system built after retiring my 7+yo Dell. (Maybe they don't build 'em like they used to AK ).

Like Arthur mentioned, I've only ever used the integrated graphics and that's what I'm using again (i5) as it's sufficient for my needs, so didn't need to buy a separate graphics card. (I don't do anything that requires any heavy processing, but can always add later if that changes). I think (but not sure) that some mobo's can run multiple monitors so might be worth checking out - you'd need to make sure the connectors matched you monitors or could be adapted. So intel with integrated graphics might work out less expensive than AMD + gpu, but obviously the multi monitor requirement needs to be factored in.

For me, I didn't see any value in getting a small SSD, at least initially (though all SSD would have been nice but beyond the budget).

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you fillum. I Currently have 3 systems, 1 laptop in use & 3 other systems + 1 laptop? not in use that are older and all I want to get rid of and totally up grade. Will keep at least one L/top possibly both and anything I do get hopefully will last a few years without having to continually change parts. My wife is sick of all the out dated gear i'm hanging on to in case of problems and improvise between out dated connections.

I can certainly appreciate where your coming from. I am still researching when I can, as still have to wait a bit longer. but multiple monitors is something I'm considering as if I'm trying to read and do something while flipping between screens, drives me insane I struggle with software enough as it is.

Cheers for now.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJM View Post
    With SSD's I have a number of Samsung drives in machines I have built in our office and I can high recommend them.

+1(00)

Not the cheapest.
    I got mine based on reported achievements.
    Didn't use it in the PC, which would have been more efficient use of it.
    Used it in my teeny tablet, which subsequently transformed from an occasionally useful tool, to something more akin to a PC!

PS. my issue with Dell isn't about build .. certainly their service experience is something to rave about tho(extremely pleased with that!)

it's the quality/performance of the individual parts used in the machines that (sort of) irked me.

Not the highest end systems money can buy, yet a bit more expensive in total over a personally built system using slightly better quality items.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIme to look at new system

More than 2 screens will have to make use of display port outputs anyway. If you don't use a display port cable then you will need an active display port adapter (converts display port to hdmi or dvi) it has to be active, as passive won't work properly.

I would recommend a separate graphics card (not on board the motherboard) if you want multiple monitors as it takes more strain off the motherboard.

The 3930k is quite a good processor, if you really want to get the most out of it you should over clock it, if not then just look for the non K version (3930 not the 3930k) as the k just removed the overclocking lock

I built my computer and it has crossfire 7970s 32gb ram and an overclocked i7 3930k. So that should suit your needs, whatever they may be
    Last edited by mortalitas; 17-02-2014 at 9:35am.
    Hi im Steven,
    I have been known to take photos of stuff, usually landscapes, dabbling in environmental portraits

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/StevenFoxPhotography
    500px: https://500px.com/stevenfox_
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mortalitas/

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am certainly adding a G/C, The G/C I've been looking at is around the R7-260X DC20C R2.0 around the $180 mark. Depending where I get the gear from.
    This card has 2 DVI ports, 1 HDMI port & 1 DP port and is a 2 GB card so may be able to use all 4 ports not sure if I would need to go to higher on card RAM
    Motherboard has CrossfireX and SLI but not sure I'll need to Overclock don't want to if I don't need to and never done on any other machines I have.
    But may have to delay a bit longer GRRRR.
    DP to HDMI cables are available so connectivity is no issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not know enough about bits and bytes to argue with a 6 year old let alone you knowledgeable folk so will just detail what my new system consists of
    CPU i7 4770
    Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3
    Samsung 840 250gig solid state
    2x 2TB WD Caviar Black
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB graphics card
    16 Gig ram
    750 watt power to run the 2 gig card
    and an ASUS PA 279 Q monitor
    windows 8.1 to drive the thing...

john
    “Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils."

Hector Berlioz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will only be able to use 2 of the 3 non display port outlets at a time, as the third one will have to be a display port ready monitor or use an active adapter, each card will only support 2 legacy displays (hdmi or Dvi) if you plug a passive display port adapter in, it just steals the output from one of the legacy displays (still only leaves 2 legacy displays in total) you either need the third screen plugged into an active adaptor OR a monitor that natively supports display port.

You could always just add another graphics card to solve your problem, but that comes with it's own set of risks.

I currently have 3 asus 24 inch full HD led monitors and a single 27 inch 1440p IPS screen, and getting all them to work at the same time was a nightmare.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that Mortalitas, I'll have to look into that a bit further.

Cheers

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well today's the day here's the list any thoughts Possibly Win 7 unless I can get it to run Apple.

1 - Thermaltake Case S41
    1 - thermaltake P/Sup. 80+ Bronze 750w
    1 - M/B M5A99FX PROr2.0
    1 - AM3+ FX-8320, 8350?
    1 - ssd h/d 256G
    1 - G/Card2G GTX 660
    1 - RAM 16g. 2400MHz kit

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I've Bought the gear currently assembling but not sure regarding the 16G (2X8G 2400) RAM.wondering if it could be a problem Book lists only (4 X 4 2400) haven't opened yet thought I would question first. Bought the AMD3+ FX-8320 CPU
    Thanks for any thoughts

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ROA44 View Post
    Well today's the day here's the list any thoughts Possibly Win 7 unless I can get it to run Apple.
    My goto site for getting Apple stuff running on a PC : http://www.hackintosh.com/
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast