User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  11
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seeking Focal Length Advice Based on Style of Images (Samples Shown)...

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Guys,

Today I finally finished my search for a new camera and purchased an Olympus OMD E-M1 with the 12-40 f2.8 PRO lens. It was a close one between the X-T1, A7, and the E-M1. They all had attributes I wanted, but in the end the E-M1 won out for all-round capability, ergonomics and control handling. It also had the awesome 12-40 zoom as a kit option and this pretty much solved my focal length question, for now.

I also purchased a Sirui N2204 tripod with the G20 ball head. By many accounts, a company that competes with Gitzo for quality and build while coming in well under the cost. Very happy.

Olympus is releasing their PRO 40-150 f2.8 around september and that will likely be the lens I'll get if I have the cash. Then in 2015 I'll have the option to purchase their 7-14 PRO lens. This trio will provide a fantastic set if the ultra wide and telephoto zooms are anywhere near as good as the 12-40.

To solve the small and light snapper requirement I may end up purchasing a Ricoh GR (28mm equivalent). I realise that I like this focal length quite a bit. It is quite close to the Nokia's 26mm equivalent.

Thank you for all of your advice and even though I ended up with something else entirely it helped very much.

I may end up with a second hand A7 and a small handful of manual focus primes for landscape and architectural work.

I'm in Bangkok right now and plan on travelling back to India in late September. It will be fantastic to have the little Olly to shoot with.

Cheers,
    Nick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great news Nick.
    That is what I love about this forum. You put it out there, and in your case I admire how you narrowed down to what you like to do, and others with relevant knowledge chip in with even more info.

Neil

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12