Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  66
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "My 24-105 f4 L Died'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"My 24-105 f4 L Died'

I was at the Fingal AP Meet yesterday and my 24-105 started malfunctioning, It now is a 24mm Prime sort of, Has anbody else except myself and Julie ann/Jules had this problem , I rang Canon and they have no record of it (The Problem) , Which is strange cause I had heard of this through this site , I'm sure of it , Jules got hers fixed for $600 I do have the repair place in Brisbane that Jules used or should I send it to Canon Sydney or some other place that you guys can recommend that fixes L Series lenses at a nice price , Or should I just dump it , Any help appreciated - Bill
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch!

What's going on? You mean the zoom mechanism is physically stuck? $60?! That seems like a lot to spend on a lens that probably cost $1700 but you can now buy new for $1200ish
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah Tony worse than that, Both Jules and mine suffered the exact same death symptoms I was taking a shot looking through the viefinder and as I took the shot I noticed a flicker in the viefinder, Nothing is stuck, but as soon as you zoom out , Even just off the 24mm I still have focus points but it shows up as an ERROR 01 on the newer cameras , And as a ERROR 99 on my 30D , The image Stabilizer goes crazy as well a lot of buzzing and whiring , I can still take a shot at 24mm all works fine No go if you zoom out , Tried it on three cameras , Did the same on all

PS ; I heard something about a ribbon that comes off inside , when that comes undone when you zoom the lens does'nt talk to the Camera , The lens has to be completely stripped to repair
    Last edited by William; 11-07-2011 at 11:12am.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep William you are correct, there is a Ribbon cable that attaches to the aperture mechanism, it IS known to break, with now yourself and Jules I know of at least 3 others that have gone the same way.
    Canon will only replace the ribbon cable AND aperture mechanism as a single part, ie they won't just replace the ribbon cable.

I have a feeling that there was a crowd in Sydney that will repair the lens by replacing the cable only, considerably cheaper than the Canon option, I will see what I can dig up
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nasty! And yes, that does sound expensive. I googled it a bit and I'm seeing typical repair costs around $US150 - so where did the $600 come from?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Mark :I have a feeling that there was a crowd in Sydney that will repair the lens by replacing the cable only, considerably cheaper than the Canon option, I will see what I can dig up : Ooo ! That would be good , I was wondering why so much cost , The place in Brisbane must replace the whole lot as well from what Jules was telling me yesterday , Try hard for me Mark Please

Well , What ever it is that canon wont admit I found more here : http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=36104926

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does rather sound like the same problem. When Jules had her problem I did a bit of searching on it and there are quite a few comments on various forums including this one.
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...light=error+01
    This post.
    My 24-105 f/4 L IS is faulty. The first time I saw err 01 about a month ago. So the lens was about 4.5 years old.

The lens is playing up exactly the way other people experiencing:

works fine at 24mm any aperture
    works fine wide open any focal length
    gives err 01 at any position other than 24mm if aperture not wide open

It makes fancy noise from time to time (sounds like the diaphragm is closing and opening few time a second).

When I put camera in M and set f/22 and press DOF preview button I can see the following:

at 24mm lens diaphragm is closing and opening no issues
    at any other focal length it's kinda sticks and doesn't open once I release DOV preview button. The only way to open it is to zoom out to 24mm and press/release DOV preview button again.

Today I went to the Canon Australia service centre. Canon tech had a quick look and he said it looks like it's a faulty diaphragm unit. And replacement would cost me up to $650 AUD ($592 USD at the current exchange rate). Well... It's about a half of new grey mport lens here. I didn't go for repair at this stage as I didn't expect this price. So I will have to decide if I can find a cheaper way to fix it.
    Last edited by agb; 11-07-2011 at 11:53am.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkChap View Post
    Yep William you are correct, there is a Ribbon cable that attaches to the aperture mechanism, it IS known to break, with now yourself and Jules I know of at least 3 others that have gone the same way.
    Canon will only replace the ribbon cable AND aperture mechanism as a single part, ie they won't just replace the ribbon cable.

I have a feeling that there was a crowd in Sydney that will repair the lens by replacing the cable only, considerably cheaper than the Canon option, I will see what I can dig up
    I had this exact thing last year with the same lens - it is very common - but try getting Canon to acknowlegde or fix this known issue.

Canon wanted about 700-800 to fix it.

A camera repairer should be able to replace the ribbon and the aperture ring it is attached to for (I think it cost me $350-400).

Don't panic too much.

Scotty
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a start they wont acknowledge it !! I asked today (Canon Sydney that is) they have no knowledge of this fault on their records , I say bul#sh%t Scotty can you remember where you got your's fixed for that price ? ps ; dont panic to much !!!! you say
    Last edited by William; 11-07-2011 at 2:52pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    For a start they wont acknowledge it !! I asked today (Canon Sydney that is) they have no knowledge of this fault on their records , I say bul#sh%t Scotty can you remember where you got your's fixed for that price ? ps ; dont panic to much !!!! you say
    I know. I had the same problem with Canon. They are [self edited for legal reasons ]!

I have heard of it from several people and I know it to be a very common problem.

Anyway, it may have been less than $350. I am sure it was $300 and something dollars.

http://www.cameraservicecentre.powerup.com.au/

Scotty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same problem exists with the EF-S 17-85.
    Had one repaired by Canon last year for approx $300.
    The same problem is now back again, just over 12 months later.
    Canon's response: Send it in and we'll charge you another $300 to fix it.
    After a chat to the ACCC, they suggested that I send Canon a letter of demand, trying to compel them to repair what is a wide-spread problem with this lens, and apparently the 24-105 f4L as well!!
    Mark

Canon 70D w/Grip l Canon 60D w/Grip l EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM l EF 70-200 f4L IS USM l EF-S 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM l EF 100 f2.8 USM Macro l EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS STM l EF 50 f1.8 II l Canon EF-S 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM l 430 EX II Flash l Rode Stereo VideoMic l Manfrotto 055XPROB + 498RC2 Tripod l Benro MP-96 M8 Monopod l Lowepro Vertex 200 AW Backpack l Lowepro Pro Runner 300 AW Backpack l PS CS5 Extended l Lightroom 4.3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bill, Im sorry your lens died yesterday, hope you can get it fixed at a reasonable price either that or convert it to a coffee mug
    Kassy
    Nikon D700
    CC Welcome and Appreciated

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unistudent1962 View Post
    Same problem exists with the EF-S 17-85.
    Had one repaired by Canon last year for approx $300.
    The same problem is now back again, just over 12 months later.
    Canon's response: Send it in and we'll charge you another $300 to fix it.
    After a chat to the ACCC, they suggested that I send Canon a letter of demand, trying to compel them to repair what is a wide-spread problem with this lens, and apparently the 24-105 f4L as well!!
    Thanks Mark for that info did you send the letter of demand ? after Scottys comment about there attitude to the problem , I was going to see if something could be done as well , So have we got a legal %#$@ , Ooops were not aloud to talk about that
    Last edited by William; 11-07-2011 at 3:52pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also a victim of the 24-105 IS failure.

Still deciding if/when to fix, or buy another lens instead.

I talked to Jules about hers, and the $600 repair cost, those dollars would go a long way to getting another lens, I could use in conjuntion with my 17-55.

But I MISS my 24-105, it is a great walk around lens.

Watching this thread with a lot of interest.

Cheers Dave
    I have this silly idea, that I should actually go and take photos with all this photography gear I have already accumulated, before I collect any more!

See some of my photos here.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/David...5888662?ref=hl
    And my very randomly updated blog.
    http://davidarnold.wordpress.com/

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good news Scotty and markchap Got onto http://www.cameraservicecentre.powerup.com.au/ Thanks mate , already have an Email estimate for $420 from these guys , I did ring and talk, what a friendly aussie guy , and he was one of the techs !! knew what i was talking about straight away ring these guys and ask for Richard , very friendly and helpfull , well the the repair cost is coming back into the ball park , as they say how , low , can we go

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey Dave , Maybe we can get a group discount
    Last edited by William; 11-07-2011 at 4:02pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good news Scotty and markchap Got onto http://www.cameraservicecentre.powerup.com.au/ Thanks mate , already have an Email estimate for $420 from these guys , I did ring and talk, what a friendly aussie guy , and he was one of the techs !! knew what i was talking about straight away ring these guys and ask for Richard , very friendly and helpfull , well the the repair cost is coming back into the ball park , as they say how , low , can we go
    $420 sounds about right (and prob half of what canon will charge). My $300 and something was probalby in the high $300s (bad memory ) and I guess it's gone up a touch since then.

Scotty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey Dave , Maybe we can get a group discount
    May be if we sent them in together we might, for that price could probably justify getting fixed sooner then later.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ Dave , my son Joel is going to Sydney 2nd Week of August, They have a 7-10 day repair time , Joel said he would pick mine up while down there , I still have to find the money also, I'll check on a discount , will get back

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crikey Bill, sorry to hear about the lens. I have heard a lot about this issue and now it seems more common than my expense acct can handle. Have been saving for a while would be hard pressed to foot a $600 repair if it failures in the short term. It really has put me off getting one. I have also been looking at the 10-20 sigma and the way my photography is going may get more use out it it. My Tamron SP AF 17-50 f2.8 is serving me well and though a bit short does ok for general lens usage.

I am thinking I may wait for canon to get their act together and resolve the fault in a 24-105 mk II and I might by one. Seems pretty poor for L series lens

I hope it works out for you Bill.
    Last edited by mikew09; 11-07-2011 at 5:50pm.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast