User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: can you take the lowepro flipside on the plane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can you take the lowepro flipside on the plane

Anyone had experience with lowepro flipside 300/400 AW when travelling overseas? As well I would like to take 2 bodies, nikon d700 and d800 plus 16-35, 50 and 70-300. Is there any room for personel gear - rain jacket/jumper/water bottle?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Lowpro Mini trekker AW and took that OS four years ago, looking on line there is a difference in the dimensions.
    Flipside 400.. 1.6kg 30.3 X 25.3 X 46 cm.. Mini trekker.. 1.2kg.. 25.8 X 17.4 X 44.5 cm so a little smaller
    Into my smaller Mini Trekker I packed a Canon 40D + 5D Mk 11, 24-105mm lens, 90mm macro lens, 70-200 f/4 lens 1.4 extender, speedlite, batteries in the main part.
    Memory cards and filters and other small things went into big space in the front pocket it was not full as I made sure it was just under the 7kg allowed for cabin luggage..
    Yours is a bigger bag so you can fit more later just watch the weight on board. Hubby had a wide brief case with laptop, battery charges, more batteries, and extras up to 7kg
    Somewhere on you ticket, do they have them these days ? it should tell you the dimensions allowed for the cabin luggage.
    Air NZ 118cms, Qantas International we travelled Emirates allowed the same cabin luggage up to 115cms and 7kg, yours being 30.3 X 25.3 X 46 = 101.6 cms so no problem there
    When you know what Airline you will be using get on line and find out what size is permitted, hope this has been of some help.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have taken my Lowepro Flipside 400 and 500 on a plane many a time, so, a Flipside 300 or 400 will be fine, no problems whatsoever. A Flipside 400 will easily take the D700 and D800 plus 16-35 and 70-300. However, why do you want to take both cameras? Just take one or the other.

On my trip to Europe in 2010 I took my Flipside 400, I took the following:
    D700
    16-35 f4 VR
    24-70 f2.8 attached to camera
    70-200 f2.8 VRII
    1.4x TCII
    2x TCIII
    SB700 flash
    Lans cleanning and spare cards.

On my trip to Europe 2013 in my Flipside 500, I took the following:
    D800E
    16-35 f4 VR
    24-70 f2.8
    80-400 f4.5-5.6G
    Sigma 35 f1.4
    1.4xTCII
    15" Laptop.
    Lens cleaning and cards etc.

No issue whatsoever with carry on board.

Water bottle can go in side pockets rain jacket in the back pocket, but this is once youy get to destination. Rain jacket etc should be in your check in luggage until you get there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've taken my flipside 300 on planes internationally & domestically as cabin baggage with no issues. I usually find it a tight fit with a 7d, 70-200,24-70 and a speedlight. I keep memory cards and batteries in the pockets and water bottle in the side holder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've taken my flipside 300 internationally and domestically as well.

It fits perfectly under the seat while having access to the foot rest, this was with Virgin, Jetstar, Philippine airlines.

It's been a while since I've taken it overseas, but I think as long as you don't look like you're breaking your back, you should be fine with weight.

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll have no problems using it as cabin luggage. If it's overweight - I've never had cabin luggage weighed when leaving Aus but have when returning. Just take your camera and heaviest lens out - put them over your shoulder and get it re-weighed. Strange - we're taking the same weight on board but it's no problem as long as it's not in the bag. We usually just replace the camera in the bag while in the departure lounge.
    Glenda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too use a Flipside 400 and had 3 flights last year with no issue.

I gave one to our eldest son, James, and he used as carry on luggage a lot. We had to have it fedex'd home from LA after Christmas and it officially weighed 19lbs which hadn't been a problem getting from Chicago to LA