User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  8

Thread: Images double stacked

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Images double stacked

Oops went to open up some images tonight clicked on the one I wanted and another image comes up. A series of photos appears to have doubled on top of another series of images. Can they be separated.
    Nikon, D750, D5000, 35mm f/1.8, 18-55mm & 55-200mm kit lens,
    Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, Sigma 120-400mm, Sigma 150-600S, SB-910, Metz mecablitz 58 AF-2
    Manfrotto 680B Mono + 234RC tilt, 055XPROB + 804RC2.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll Re word this thread.

I was Converting some photos in VIEW NX2 from RAW to JPeg and then placed them into a new folder on a flash drive. (For Reference purposes #1)

My wife then informed me that she required some more. So opened up the appropriate folder and checked through them and found that the images I had converted had also overlaid themselves on top of some files in the second folder (#2) I was going to re-process. When I click on the image in #2 which is now the image from #1 the Image from #2 opens up if you can understand what I mean. Fortunately I still have the original Images all on the cards I used ( I know don't go there ) luckily I had held off deleting them. So not quite sure what's happened Any ideas?

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having a little bit of a hard time with that one RO.

Are you opening the images on the flash drive or your pc?
    I have heard of images overwriting each other on flash drives before without "permission being granted" or asked for.
    I have never had an issue with View NX handling files but if in doubt you can simply uninstall the program, clean the registry and load it on to the machine again for free.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi I @ M this last year has been a bit like that and will be for a little longer yet. A big breath and keep going.

This is all on my pc I don't think IO had #2 folder open at the time. I had already finished transfer to another PC.

Just about to go out so catch up a little later.

Thank you for any assistance will reload if have to but interested as to how or why and how to avoid unless it's just one of those scenarios.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK.. image opening up over another image can mean two things:

1. you have like a double exposure, where one image is overlaid onto another .. hence two images in the one file!

2. You see one image in the thumbnail yet another image in the actual display screen

if 1. this could be an accidentally set double exposure in the camera, set to overlay on the one file. Solution: none

if 2. then you need to go into a particular file location and delete a specific file/or files. ie. cache.

I've had ViewNX2 do #2. to me on the odd occasion, where say file DSC_6599 is of a purple orangutang, yet the thumbnail image(in the film strip) is of an orange eggplant!

There is a simple fix, but it may depend on which version of Windows you are using.

I'll wait for your reply as to what exactly the issue is(I'm thinking #2 tho). I just want to be sure that the problem is thumbnail related.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Arthur, each I have 2 cards both cards were used batch #1 on 1 card on 1 day Batch #2 on another card a few days later both cards down loaded on separate occasions. Both cards had different. currently using win.7. I can as stated re-load but am curios so as to avoid in future but also hanging out for a total all round upgrade.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ROA44 View Post
    ... luckily I had held off deleting them. So not quite sure what's happened Any ideas?
    From someone who knows not a lot about this sort of thing.
    If no easy answer crops up, delete problem files from computer. Then re-transfer original photos from your card and start again. See what happens.
    If that works, it still won't solve why what happened happened.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    do you format this USB drive or do you just delete and re-write? It could well be an error in the filetable on the USB if you just delete and write again. When you delete a file it really doesn't delete, it just hides. It only really deletes when you format or the segment on the drive is written over. Even then with a format it may not really delete. Confused yet?

Not being sure of your computer knowledge. At the 'top' of any storage device is a filetable, that hold the details of what files are stored where in the memory. Sort of like an index at the start of a book. When you seek a file, the filetable is accessed, the memory spot that file is stored is obtained and the computer goes to that memory spot to grab the file. Like the index, it says look at page 102, so that rather than flicking through all the pages, it can go straight to the right place. If this filetable is corrupt in some way, you could be getting this double-file.

But from my attempt at understanding what you are saying, you could be dealing with a filesystem corruption on this USB drive. So format it. But it could also be the USB is about to fail as well. I have a USB drive fail (first one) recently. All the files on it were readable, but each file was not what it was. If I tried to open a word doc from the drive, I would get a excel file, but then found the word doc was there, but showing as a image file. I could not copy the files off, but could open them and then re-save them to my hard-drive. The USB would not let me format it, telling me write protection was turned on. The next day I decided to try again and all the files were jumbled mess and then the USB was detected as containing errors, but they could not be fixed due to write protection. A quick email to TDK (manufacturer) and was advised that the drive was dead and to throw it away.
    Last edited by ricktas; 06-02-2014 at 7:31am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Rick & Mark, This happened on the PC as a result of converting from RAW to JPeg. I had accessed both folders previously with no problems. this also happened when I did a process & conversion to JPeg for the image I posted on AP of 2 from Melbourne. Opened the image in View NX2 processed created a copy of processed image converted the copy to JPeg for Flicker, posted on AP went back into folder for another image to process and found both overlaid on 2 other images.

I will delete the affected folder and reload images but I am curious it is possible I may have done something but and the images in the file affected were not important so no real harm done, but can not wait for new gear both IT and photographic. once again thanks for looking and will keep watching for anything that may be posted regarding this issue.

Don't we just love Technology

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried just clearing the cache in View NX2? It can get confused and have the wrong thumbnail connected to a photo. Clearing the cache makes it re-do the thumbnails.
    Last edited by davidd; 06-02-2014 at 9:15am.
    David

Nikon D810
    Nikkor AF-S 24-120VR, Nikkor AF-S 16-35VR, Nikkor AF-S 70-300VR, Nikkor AF 50 f1.8
    Tamron 90mm Macro

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you David no I have n't not that techi but will look into that thank you.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still confused as to what you're actually seeing to tho.

As David said, (hopefully) it could be a simple matter of clearing the cache if it is the thumbnails issue.
    But I've found that it's not as simple as this, and the cache(thumbnail info files) needs to be manually cleaned out and totally deleted.

Other things I've found is that if you use CaptureNX as well, there is another ViewNX2 cache with more thumbnails that should be cleaned out too .. and so on and so on.

When you say that you open image #1 but you see image #2, I'm assuming that the thumbnail in #1 is different to the image in #2 so this is what the problem is.

I've never seen a situation where all images have been distorted like that, but only a situation where maybe two or three images have been fumbled in this manner, in a series of lots(50-60+)

And like I said, clearing the cache cleans the problem up, but then it manifests itself again some time later.
    The best way to clean up the cache in VNX2(in fact most caches!!) is to manual delve into the folder and delete everything.

cache location at default is username/app data/local/nikon/viewnx2/cache ..... anything in there(mainly .nkd and .nki files) is fully deleteable, and all will be restored upon reopening NX2.
    I recommend tho that you locate the cache folder in an easier to find location on your drive, and better yet, a separate internal drive if you have the option.

If you have ever installed CaptureNX2 as well .. even the trial version only, you could also have thumbnails in an appdata folder that could also be an issue too. Unlikely, but possible(I've had that issue too).

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you everyone I'm not going to worry about it I will just to a delete and re down load again and at least that should resolve the issue at this point but I will check with my son in-law when he gets back and question him as he is a programmer so may offer a possible answer and if he does will post the results. Cheers for now.

PS to try to clarify. I open a folder eg 49 start looking at thumb nails from a series of images (DSC_0001 - DSC_0050).

Then as I'm going through them I come to an image No. eg DSC_0032 and see an image that doesn't belong in the folder that has come from another folder eg 52, eg DSC_0123.

I click the thumb nail No. DSC_0032 and the image that should be showing as the thumb nail DSC_0032 appears but the thumb nail is the image of DSC_0123. Not sure if that's any clearer.

Now i'm getting confused Cheers
    Last edited by ROA44; 06-02-2014 at 11:23am.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep! clear as mud!

LOL! actually that's what I thought was the issue, but had to be sure.

Fix is easy, but strangely, I think if you have the default setup for ViewNX2, you may not actually fix the problem with a re-install!

Reason is that the cache file(s) may remain as in the residual folder setup by VNX2 after it removes itself.
    So on the next installation, it may turn out that VNX2 will re-use the old cache files already in there.

Depending on how Win7 is setup for you, ie. to have the ability to view system files and folders, the fix is easy.

Like I said, for a default setup(ie. not re arranged via the preferences menu) .. the cache file is located as per above:

C:/users/<yourusername>/app data/local/nikon/viewnx2/cache

There are about 10 or so files in there with the .nki/nkd file extension mostly in the couple of hundred kilobyte file size range .. all safe to delete them.
    In deleting them, you are not making any settings alterations to VNX2 in any way other than to the thumbnail viewing capability(which is what you're trying to fix anyhow! )

If you do try this(and I recommend you do) .. one thing that you will notice is browsing through your image files via VNX2.
    On initial viewing, you should notice a very slight(1/2sec) delay between image display as you flick from image to image.
    This is both good and normal.
    Good as the thumbnail database has been reset(as expected), and normal as it's rebuilding the thumbnail database again on every viewing.

FWIW: I do the thumbnail cache delete thing on a regular basis. Why? because it will contain thumbnails of images I haven't looked at for many years.
    That is, for viewing only more recent images(say > 6 months or so), it proves to operate a bit faster for browsing.. especially if there are many(as in hundred or so) files in a single folder.
    Every image is displayed instantly .. which is much better than a lot of other raw file viewing software.

But, so that you can do this for yourself as an on demand basis, the very first step is to set Win7 to allow you to view hidden and system files.

you can do that following these simple steps:

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Arthur, may not happen for a couple of days but will definitely follow up on this. you are a man of many talents,

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well looks like problem solvered appears to be the cache so woooohooo but still looking at new system. Thank you Arthur, son in-law & all others who offered assistance.
    Last edited by ROA44; 14-02-2014 at 7:10pm.