User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Good P&S for photos and video out on the snow?

Ausphotography Regular Hired Goon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good P&S for photos and video out on the snow?

I am heading to the USA next week to do some skiing. I'm taking my Canon 7D DSLR and a few lenses in case I get a chance for some landscape work.

But I also want to take some shots and also some video while skiing, and I'm not going to use the 7D for that. I'm looking for a camera that is cheap, takes decent-ish images, and has full HD video capability, and is compact enough to fit in my pocket. And hopefully one that I can reuse back in Australia for those times when I'm not in the mood to lug around a DSLR and lenses.

I looked at a Fuju Finepix XP60 today ($199) that seems to fit the bill: waterproof, shockproof, but the 4X optical zoom was a bummer. Hoping for something with a bit more reach.

Any suggestions? Budget is around $300 or so (hope that's sufficient).

Another alternative is a GoPro, but I don't see myself using that when I get back to Australia, which is a big negative.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (Just a thought: Have you got a decent-ish smart phone?)
    (Am.)
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    never say never to a go-pro, do you snorkel? or scuba dive, surf or hand glide? the go-pro is made for a multitude of environments, get a go-pro you'll love it
    long live

http://www.birdphotographyworkshops.com.au

Canon R7, and a lot of other bits and bobs

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    (Just a thought: Have you got a decent-ish smart phone?)(Am.)
    Got a Nexus 4, never been happy with the quality of its camera.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by paulheath View Post
    never say never to a go-pro, do you snorkel? or scuba dive, surf or hand glide? the go-pro is made for a multitude of environments, get a go-pro you'll love it
    Haven't surfed in a long time ... I can see the attraction of a GoPro but I need to look into it more. Seems quite limited in functionality, e.g. can I zoom in/out while shooting?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a look at the Sony Action Cam, it is small light and similar in many ways to the go pro I have one and I like the fact they have a waterproof casing and simple to operate they also have a high speed mode for taking really fast footage. Between the ActionCam and the D7 you can't go wrong

Kind Regards
    Livio

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally decided on a Canon PowerShot 280 : 12MP sensor, 1080p/60 video, 20x zoom.

All cameras at this price point have major compromises, either more noise or lack of detail, or limited zoom, or lower-def video. The Canon was the least-worst, IMHO. It will do for capturing video of the family on the slopes and some shots of the snow and mountains. I read on the internets that there are issues with the battery and shooting video, but I shot a 15+ video without problems, so I must have the latest firmware.

Decided against a Go Pro: it's great at what it does (strap a camera to your helmet and leave it there) but overall too limiting for my needs.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hired Goon View Post
    I read on the internets that there are issues with the battery and shooting video, but I shot a 15+ video without problems, so I must have the latest firmware.
    Typical: once I get to the USA the Canon Powershot 280 exhibits video shooting problems: turn it to video mode, start recording, and the camera thinks the battery is dead and shuts down. It worked initially, but then failed. What a POS.

Looks like I need to apply the firmware, even though the serial number indicates that applying the firmware should not be required.