Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Camera for travelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Camera for travelling

Need some sdvice on this one.

I will be travelling to Europe later this year for a sporting event and will be carrying as little as possible.
    I would like to take the DSLR, but it will probably be a little bulky for my needs.
    Can anyone (preferably who has had personal experience) recommend a small pocket sized digital camera.
    Price is not that important - I want something that will deliver top quality shots, within the limitations of a compact camera.
    Canon 6D
    Canon 40D
    16-35 L 2.8 11 USM
    24-105 L IS USM
    70-200 2.8 L IS USM 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you tell us if you have a price range your looking at.

As you can imagine eg the Nikon N1 or other brand equivalents could be a good alternative as these have interchangeable lenses available but price may restrict you. Other wise most of the higher end P&S are very good

Good hunting
    Last edited by ROA44; 31-01-2014 at 1:36pm.
    Nikon, D750, D5000, 35mm f/1.8, 18-55mm & 55-200mm kit lens,
    Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, Sigma 120-400mm, Sigma 150-600S, SB-910, Metz mecablitz 58 AF-2
    Manfrotto 680B Mono + 234RC tilt, 055XPROB + 804RC2.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...and what sporting event?
    CC, Image editing OK.

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the canon G2 (my first digital camera) and G11 and find them to be very good providing you don't want to make large prints. A4 turn out good. I think they are up to G15 now so the quality and technology keep getting better. My other half took video of the fountains outside the Bellagio in Las Vegas and it came out very good on the computer. cheers Brian
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do you need a telephoto lens?

I would buy an EOS M with the pancake lens if I had to take a small camera.
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Sony NEX 6 (twin lens kit) which I've taken on trips to Vietnam and Indonesia and been very happy with. For my trip to Vietnam I also bought a pocket sized Sony RX100 (M1) and found it great to carry around. Both have excellent IQ, are light and a pleasure to use. I haven't picked up my Canon since buying the NEX 6. Well, I've picked it up then immediately put it down after feeling how heavy it is so at the moment it's gathering dust!

I found that some (but not all) of the RX100 photos are slightly noisier than the NEX 6 but I tend to be a bit of a pixel peeper.

I bought the RX100 duty free at the airport - I sometimes find it difficult to resist buying new cameras
    Carole

Canon 550D|Canon 15-85mm|Canon 70-300mm|Canon 100mm f2.8 macro|50mm f1.8 II|
    Sony NEX 6|Sony 16-50mm| Sony 55-210mm|Sony RX100
    www.carolelloydphotography.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plus one for the Sony Nex 6 as a small lightweight travel camera - big issue may be sports photos? What type of event is it? If you need a fast tracking AF then the Nex is lacking in this regard as it can hunt for focus trying to track something fast moving, you can work around this shooting with manual focus and it's 10 fps will certainly get the action. It has the added bonus of wifi so you can upload pics straight to Ipad / smart phone and you can also use them as a remote viewfinder / shutter.
    Last edited by Old Skool; 03-02-2014 at 6:28pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See my post #9 in the following link.

http://http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?119658-Light-weight-travel-kit&highlight=travel+kit

I took my DSLR and a selection of lenses, which, whilst being a bit of a load to carry around, meant I had the flexibility to react to the environment, circumstance and conditions. Given our travel arrangements and accommodation, this worked out OK.

In your case, it will depend on what you are planning, where you are going and the type and use of the shots you intend to capture.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acko View Post
    "Camera for travelling"

I will be travelling to Europe later this year for a sporting event and will be carrying as little as possible.
    I would like to take the DSLR, but it will probably be a little bulky for my needs.
    Can anyone (preferably who has had personal experience) recommend a small pocket sized digital camera.
    Price is not that important - I want something that will deliver top quality shots, within the limitations of a compact camera.
    Canon SX280HS is worth a close look.

If you just mean you want "a camera for travelling" then the Fuji x100s is worth a look too, but you'll need a slightly bigger pocket.

WW

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sporting event is the Dragon Boat International event in Revenna, Italy. I will be close enough to the action to get some good shots without the need for my telephoto lenses like on my EOS cameras. That is only a small part of the trip, with much travelling to do and a lot of landscapes, churches, old buildings to photograph. Plus a visit to Marinello to see the Ferrari museum, of course!
    Thanks for all the suggestions - appreciate the input.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for the Sony RX100
    I am a Canon user, but needed a compact camera for convenience as i travel a lot for work.
    After a lot of online homework the RX100 looked to be the go. And can say i have not been disapointed.

Really great camera for a compact, and i see there is now a RX100 mk2 that is meant to be a little better

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you considered the Canon G1X?
    It takes 14 bit raw images and has f/2.8 capability with a Digic 5 processor.
    It won't match a 1Dx or a 7D for burst speed but what frame rate do you need for dragon boats - it's not like water ski-ing or snow-boarding!
    I'm sure it would more than do justice to the other aspects of your trip given that you don't want to carry a DSLR & a selection of lenses as a result of its
    decent low-light capability and 14.3 MP sensor.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that.
    I like Canon products, so the G1X just might be the one to go and look at.

BA

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I finished up going over to the dark side and buying a Sony RX100 Mark 3.
    It looks like it might be the go, and the few photos that I have taken so far are well within expectations.
    Heading off to Italy and I am sure it will get a good work out.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've come back from 6 weeks overseas with just a Sony RX100M2 and I've been very happy with it overall. It's not perfect however and my daughters Canon G16 (although only 12Mpixels) seems to have the edge in some practical respects such as a longer and faster lens at the telephoto end (28 – 140 mm (equiv), f/1.8-f/2.8 on the G16 compared to 28-100mm (equiv), f/1.8-4.9 on the RX100M2). Good luck with the M3.
    Last edited by jjphoto; 31-08-2014 at 7:30pm.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban Josefino's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If price is not an issue, go with the Canon 5D. Brilliant!