User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Unreliable photo journalism - anything for a story?

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unreliable photo journalism - anything for a story?

http://www.news.com.au/technology/on...-1226831244649

IT WAS a picture that broke hearts around the world. Taken by a UNHCR worker on the Syrian/Jordanian border, the picture showed a boy carrying a plastic bag looking lost, desperate and seemingly alone in the desert.
    And like all amazing pictures it soon swept across the internet, but not all was not what it seemed.
    As it turns out the boy, named as Marwan to protect his identity, was actually never abandoned or alone — he had simply became temporarily separated from his mother in the rush to cross the Syrian border into Jordan.
    So how did this picture end up going viral?
    Shortly after posting the picture taken near the Hagallat boarder crossing by Jordan’s UNHCR head Andrew Harper, it was picked up under the hashtag #syria.
    CNN anchor Hala Gorani posted the picture, revealing her own heartbreak about the boy’s desperate situation.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps just unreliable journalism in general, whether there's a pic, footage or not. What get's published/broadcast generally has a bigger story behind the headline which is often not told. At least in this instance, the UNHCR released the image which told the whole story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldnt say its 'unreliable', just someone jumping the gun and interpreted it differently without cross checking or waiting for confirmation.

I would use the term misled or misleading more than unreliable.
    Commercial/Editorial/Wedding work - www.jackietranphoto.com
    Travel Photography - www.wanderingasianguy.com

Broncolor lights up my world.

Photo Bizarro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    I wouldnt say its 'unreliable', just someone jumping the gun and interpreted it differently without cross checking or waiting for confirmation.

I would use the term misled or misleading more than unreliable.
    Agreed.

The guy who took and posted the photo didn't present anything particularly ambiguous. It was the CNN anchor who shared the photo and embellished the details..

The original text: Here 4 year old Marwan, who was temporarily separated from his family, is assisted by UNHCR staff to cross #Jordan
    The reposted text: UN staff found 4 year-old Marwan crossing desert alone after being separated from family fleeing #Syria
    My name is John.
    www.jrfraser.com