Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Hold on to that UWA though - 11 to 24mm F4

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hold on to that UWA though - 11 to 24mm F4

Take a look here if you haven't already.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/01/p...-24mm-f4-lens/
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still haven't purchased any UWA's for my 5D3, waiting to see what else is coming. Heard a lot of rumours.
    Cheers, Daniel
    5D III | 35L | 85Σ| 100L | 50/1.8 | 600EX-RT | Di622 II

facebook

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It must be for their APS-C(possibly APS-H) series of cameras tho!

according to the lens patent specs:

Image height Y = 21.64mm

Full frame has a sensor height of 24mm, so this lens would mechanicaly vignette on that format.
    I don't know what the specs of an APS-H sensor are, but APS-C is usually about 16mm in height.
    So, considering the usual leeway most lens makers allow to account for minimal vignetting at the sensor and half decent IQ at the periphery, chances are that this design is for APS-C.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I think this would be an L series lens in line with the 17-40 and 16-35 models. They dont make anything wider than this for FF DSLR's so it would fit in their range nicely.

The Sigma 12-24 is a popular UWA for this reason.....

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackberner View Post
    Actually I think this would be an L series lens in line with the 17-40 and 16-35 models. They dont make anything wider than this for FF DSLR's so it would fit in their range nicely.

The Sigma 12-24 is a popular UWA for this reason.....
    But as AK points out, their own specs show it would vignette on a FF camera. So whilst it might fit into their range nicely, it would seem that would not be nice for FF, without noticeable vignetting across about 1/7th of any image produced using it with a FF sensor. FF sensor height approx 24mm, lens image height 21.6mm, something has to give! Time will tell.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh how I wish for either a 14-24 2.8 like nikons level of quality, or a 16-35 III. My 16-35 sadly I dont think is as good as my 17-40 was, and really want something thats sharp corner to corner.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimCz View Post
    Ahh how I wish for either a 14-24 2.8 like nikons level of quality, or a 16-35 III. .....
    If history tells us one thing, that is that Canon(nor Nikon) sit still and let the other take the upper hand so easily!

You can be sure that Canon is working on an equivalent UWA zoom .. for sure.

Just like they just recently introduced their answer to Nikon's 200-400/4 pro lens .. only Canon had to release it with 'an upper hand' (ie. the built in teleconverter).

It's just a matter of time until their UWA is released.

My comment re the image height of the image, and the possibility that it's APS-C only is just pure conjecture. Without knowing what image height Y is, or where it's located in the schematics, impossible to tell what this lens can do.
    I'm just assuming that the value for Y is at the image plane, and hence APS-C.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would they make another APS-C lens in that range???

Dont they already have a 10-20mm..??

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackberner View Post
    Why would they make another APS-C lens in that range???

Dont they already have a 10-20mm..??
    I think Canon already have a 10-22 but it's a variable aperture type lens. This one seems to be a constant F/4 design.

Seems unlikely that they'd design another APS-C only lens, when 'all the world' is slowly gravitating toward 135 format sensors.

FWIW too tho: patents for lenses are a dime a dozen. Manufacturers seem to apply for them every day, and usually a couple of times a day too.
    What's rare is when one of those lens makers patents makes it to the production line.

Serial Truant....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canon have been dragging their feet at the wide end of the spectrum, if it's constant F4 and L series they would be breaking with tradition making a crop lens, all L series lenses to date are Full Frame.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    It must be for their APS-C(possibly APS-H) series of cameras tho!

according to the lens patent specs:

Full frame has a sensor height of 24mm, so this lens would mechanicaly vignette on that format.
    I don't know what the specs of an APS-H sensor are, but APS-C is usually about 16mm in height.
    So, considering the usual leeway most lens makers allow to account for minimal vignetting at the sensor and half decent IQ at the periphery, chances are that this design is for APS-C.
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    But as AK points out, their own specs show it would vignette on a FF camera. So whilst it might fit into their range nicely, it would seem that would not be nice for FF, without noticeable vignetting across about 1/7th of any image produced using it with a FF sensor. FF sensor height approx 24mm, lens image height 21.6mm, something has to give! Time will tell.
    Gents,

Here is the height spec for the 24 - 70 F2.8 IS, it's the same height .. ??? This is a EF lens.

Or This.
    Last edited by Roosta; 06-03-2014 at 5:22pm.