User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Looking for a RAW P & S Any Suggestions ?

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for a RAW P & S Any Suggestions ?

Hi APers,

Heading to Cambodia next week, and not real keen on taking my Canon gear with me.

I was looking at the Sony Cyber-shot DSCRX100 (http://www.sony.com.au/product/dsc-rx100)

Looking for any other suggestions or some feedback from people that may have this camera.

It seems to be a winner on DP Review and the likes, for overall performance, and the new sensor.

I would like RAW File format, and the benefits that the Sony offers, rather than a budget P & S.

Thanks in Advance,
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I've read, the RX100 is about as good as a high end P&S gets.

Other options include Canon G series(I think they're up to #15 or something like that)
    Nikon P7000 series(apparently not very good in handling terms .. Canon's G series are better)

Then you have some ILC type compacts(m4/3rds) like Olympus Pens and Panasonics.

I think the Panasonic GM1 is about as small as you can get when it comes to interchangeable lenses, and the body is smaller than most compacts.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took an RX100 to Malaysia. First time without an SLR, and no regrets. It performed magnificently, and was so extremely handy. I always had it with me.
    “The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible” – Oscar Wilde

My Flickr feed: http://www.flickr.com/photos/100090825@N04/

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    From what I've read, the RX100 is about as good as a high end P&S gets.

Other options include Canon G series(I think they're up to #15 or something like that)
    Nikon P7000 series(apparently not very good in handling terms .. Canon's G series are better)

Then you have some ILC type compacts(m4/3rds) like Olympus Pens and Panasonics.

I think the Panasonic GM1 is about as small as you can get when it comes to interchangeable lenses, and the body is smaller than most compacts.
    Hi AK, Looking at a non interchangeable lens camera.

These hands and a Nikon, Nahhhhh Nuda Never.. LOL

Looked at the G's but for me, they're just a little to basic in the P & S.

Cheers mate,

Quote Originally Posted by bowjac View Post
    I took an RX100 to Malaysia. First time without an SLR, and no regrets. It performed magnificently, and was so extremely handy. I always had it with me.
    This is what I'm after, Cheers bowjac.

Any dramas with humidity? Did you use it by chance on a flexi tripod or Gori Grip?

Some great B & W street stuff on the Flickr site mate, the Pigeon is a ripper "In a Flap"

- - - Updated - - -

Foot Note.

Canon G1X V's Sony DSC-RX100
    F2.8 V's F1.8 Sony Wins
    Sensor Size, Canon Wins
    Both have IS/OS
    14.3 M to 20.2 M Both Cmos (Effective Pixels to Sensors size obviously) Maybe Sony?
    Video better in Sony (Apparently)
    No hot shoe on Sony, but tiltable flash, with sync modes
    No View Finder on the Sony, but rear time view on quality LCD Screen.

Huuummmm ???
    Last edited by Roosta; 25-01-2014 at 9:12pm.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    f/1.8 vs f/2.8 while it sounds like a no brainer and Sony wins .. I think the reality may not be so simple.

Sony's smaller sensor will produce more noise for a given ISO level, so it really needs the f/1.8 speed lens, just to compete with the Canon in the same lighting conditions.
    BUT!(you think, yeah .. so what!) at f/1.8 the lens is more likely not to render as acutely at it will at f/2.8 .. that is an f/1.8 lens is more likely to render the scene somewhat more softly or less contrasty.

I don't about all the other features, and while 20Mp sounds nice to have ... in lower light levels, 15Mp may be more than enough.

I reckon weight up the features list, and price differences and then look at what they can do in a comparative environment:

DPR comaparo

You may note my deliberate act of sarcasm(for your hands) in that provided link

FWIW: I'd probably choose the Canon if it were; 1/ cheaper or even slightly more expensive(but not too much more) 2/ there was the possibility I was going to shoot in low light levels a lot.

Other stuff like built in features are nice, but not as important as the camera output and usability. G series Canons have the best reputation for usability( almost mini DSLR like in their controls).

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks AK,

The DP comparo was interesting. Didn't know DP had that function on their page. The low light higher ISO is a clear winner on the Canon, and the ability for me to use my existing flash unit on the Canon is also a good thing. Looks like the Canon's only low point is the Video Capture, slower frame rate and older H.264 against MPEG 4, but hay I can live with that.

The Canon has got some very good points, would be great if they decided to release a new version right about now.

Thanks for your input mate, Canon it is then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post

Any dramas with humidity? Did you use it by chance on a flexi tripod or Gori Grip?
    Hi Roosta,

No issues with humidity, despite heavy rain at some point each day. I also kept in in my pocket, which was not immune to sweat.

PS. Thanks for the feedback.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bowjac View Post
    Hi Roosta,

No issues with humidity, despite heavy rain at some point each day. I also kept in in my pocket, which was not immune to sweat.

PS. Thanks for the feedback.
    Thanks for the info.