Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Colormunki

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Colormunki

Hi all
    Has anyone used the colormunki for both calibrating screens as well as creating printer profiles ??

I would be interested in hearing about how it all works if you have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pentax K-5iis, DA* 50-135 IF SDM | Sigma 18-125 3.5-5.6 | Sigma 70-210 4-5.6 |Sigma 28-80 3.5-5.6 Macro |Pentax-FA 28-80 3.5-4.7 |Pentax A 50 1.7 |Pentax DA 12-24 | Pentax DAL 55-300|Sigma 28-300 3.5-6.3 and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Milesy,
    I use a colour munki for both, it works ok but it still depends on your screen and what you print, I have a 27" iMac with a semi glossy screen and I only print in matt not gloss so the prints never look exactly the same. Well I do print gloss from an epson r800 but I have never calibrated it to the screen only my 7600. It certainly does help get the colours close though esp if you use different papers.
    David

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Milesy,
    I use a colour munki for both, it works ok but it still depends on your screen and what you print, I have a 27" iMac with a semi glossy screen and I only print in matt not gloss so the prints never look exactly the same. Well I do print gloss from an epson r800 but I have never calibrated it to the screen only my 7600. It certainly does help get the colours close though esp if you use different papers.
    David

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thanks for your reply ... My main function is that we have s number of different printers and the same image printed on a different printer produces markedly different results and would like to get them to be the same ( or at least very similar) its just a bit of cash to lay out so I want to know it works before buying one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have been using it for a few years now, much better than Spyders and cheaper stuff that I started out with in terms of accuracy and functions.

Use it purely for monitors at home and studio, on Dell Ultrasharp Premier Color monitors on 24 and 27 inch. I only do my client printings at commercial printer so never at home, always accurate and never had a problem.
    Commercial/Editorial/Wedding work - www.jackietranphoto.com
    Travel Photography - www.wanderingasianguy.com

Broncolor lights up my world.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks JM have you ever created a printer colour profile ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No sorry I havent, as I do not possess a quality one at home, more cost effective for me to print it at the company

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With printer profiles you can also take a profile you have created and used and load another photo you want to print into the software and refine your profile by printing another swatch to scan with the munki so theoretically it gets better all the time with each new photo you choose to redo it for, of course you must make a new profile for a new paper or printer, each profile is specific for each paper or printer.
    The profiles are better than the canned profiles I've used.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok trouble with the canned profiles is they aren't always available for 'no name ' paper

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No sorry I havent, as I do not possess a quality one at home, more cost effective for me to print it at the company

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use one on my iMAC and Canon PIXMA Pro 9000 MkII. The screen from the iMAC is pretty hard to calibrate, due to the high gloss it's pretty sensitive to environmental conditions. I have to really close out all natural light to get consistent results.

On the printer, I use several types of paper. I created profiles for all of them and redo the profiles when changing inks. The output is pretty consistent. Note I mostly print a slightly blue tinted B/W, but the color prints are quite good too.

When creating printer profiles from a MAC, you need to disable colormanagement which needs some trickery when printing on a Canon printer - check out here: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/34105159
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your input Jev do you know if the same issue exists printing from windows ?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by milesy View Post
    Ok trouble with the canned profiles is they aren't always available for 'no name ' paper

If you are seeking the best quality output, which this thread suggests, i would not recommend using no-name paper.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks I do understand that but for what we use the no name paper for its ok except for the colour shifts when printing hence the profile

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by milesy View Post
    do you know if the same issue exists printing from windows ?
    I don't know how windows 7 and 8 do it, but in XP you could disable color profiles from the OS. I never print photo's from windows, so YMMV.