Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  9

Thread: Intervalometer for Nikon

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Intervalometer for Nikon

My husband would like an intervalometer. I remember seeing a post a while ago about good third party choices. Don't want to spend a fortune so does anyone have any recommendations.
    Glenda

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Search on ebay for intervalometer for Nikon. They are about $30 from china. They are not quite as well made as the Nikon ones, but at 1/5 the price they are ok.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    ..... They are not quite as well made as the Nikon ones, but at 1/5 the price they are ok.
    Not 100% sure I'd agree with that .. but Nikon's only current intervalometer solution is far from 'well made'.

It's sturdy enough, and could possibly take a beating .. but I suspect only as much as any thirdparty brand would too.
    My reference to questionable quality of Nikon's intervalometer remote(MC-36) is more about the actual design of the thing .. incompetence at it's best!
    You'd never think that they'd design it without an ON-OFF switch! So to turn it off, you have to remove the batteries, otherwise they just die, as the only other option is that it stays on all the time .. and hence drain it's batteries. I suppose this is Nikon's humourous attempt to offer a power saving auto off mode ... but when it kills your batteries if you forget to remove them .. it ain't funny any more.

Nikon only make intervalometers for the 10pin capable cameras too .. that means D100-D300 and any high end Dn body.

Which camera does your husband use as this not only makes a difference as to what remote you will need to get too, but whether he actually needs one too. Some models have a built in intervalometer.
    The built in feature isn't as fully comprehensive as the dedicated MC-36 remote, but for 99% of folks it'll probably be enough.

I think that D7000 and D7100's have it built into the camera .. and almost all 10pin capable cameras also have them built in too(except the D100 and D1).

That's another annoyance with Nikon's MC-36 .. it only fits DSLR's that have an intervalometer built in anyhow! .. with no way to convert it for use on any other of their cameras.

Also .. what constitutes a fortune?

Like Steve said, you can find them on ebay and there are few instances of wireless remote intervalometers available too(which I'd recommend as the best option to go for).
    Aputure or Phottix are two brands I know of in a real sense(and would hazard a recommendation) .. and most other brands actually looks like derivatives of those two brands anyhow.
    And even tho these cost a bit more, I think they're generally a better option(than wired remotes).

Of the $30 options available on ebay tho, be wary of the models that look similar to the Nikon MC-36.
    Do a search for Nikon MC-36, see what it looks like and avoid any third party model that looks like it .. chances are that it also will not have a ON-OFF switch, like the MC-36 doesn't.

So first work out if your husband really needs one(camera model) and then work out which type of connection he requires and then work out the brand model best suits your budget.

The wireless Aputure and Phottix types generally sell for about $60-100(ish) dollars on ebay.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Member formerly known as : Lplates
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the detailed response. Does he "need" one probably not as we have the D7000 and D7100 but while researching them myself did read it was easier with an intervalometer. He has a birthday coming up and at our age it's getting harder and harder to think of something to get and he mentioned a few months ago he'd like one - hence my question. As to the cost - was going to suggest this for one of our sons who asked what to get him - so didn't want to suggest something involving hundreds of $.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something in between, would be a Hahnel gigapro remote - i've been loving it since using one recently - I believe it comes for all brands including Nikon.

You can use it for intervals, bulb exposure, continuous shutter, single shots, timed shots etc. very versatile and can be operated from 20-30 m away (from what I've tested)
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Photo Bizarro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dtoh View Post
    Something in between, would be a Hahnel gigapro remote - i've been loving it since using one recently - I believe it comes for all brands including Nikon.
    I will second this.. I have one of these for my Nikon D90 and it's great.
    My name is John.
    www.jrfraser.com

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah well, I just assumed that the Nikon versions were good as I have never used one. I do however use several intervalometers for my Canon, mostly for time lapse which I do a lot. I use the $30 versions and they work. With my partner we have 3 and they all get a lot of use (all different brands). The Canon versions are exactly the same as the Nikon except they have a different plug. I did try a wireless version but gave up as it went through expensive batteries extremely quickly.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    Ah well, I just assumed that the Nikon versions were good as I have never used one. ....
    yeah, it works, and it works well.

What it doesn't do is the standout feature tho!

If only it had a simple feature such as an on off switch .. I'd never have complained about it(other than the usually ridiculous high price!)
    Of course the other issue is a lack of compatibility with all of their cameras .. and some of those incopatibilities include pro cameras!!(ie: Df .. as Df has no 10 pin port .. idiots!)

Intervalometer in camera(D7000) is quite easy to setup and use(or at least it should be if it's the same as a D300/D800).

I've actually found that it was easier to setup the use of a timed/timelapse type shoot with the in camera feature.

I have no specific recommendation other than to make a choice of the versions available on ebay .. but as a random search on ebay(and not an endorsement of product or seller) ..

something like THIS looks to be reasonable(Aputure Pro Coworker II wireless timer remote)

At $60 (if I were in the market for such a device) I wouldn't hesitate to choose something like this.

I don't have any Aputure remotes, but I do have one of their battery grip products, and can't find fault with it .. even tho it cost less than 25% of an original Nikon product that it emulates.

NOTE THO! If you do decide to recommend/purchase such a product, note the use of a CR2 type battery in the receiver unit. These are not a common battery type, so to save the hassle of receiving a birthday gift and not being able to use it 'properly' due to the lack of an available battery for it ... get a couple of CR2 batteries to go with it.
    This is probably not essential tho, as most of these wireless devices can also be used with the supplied cable anyhow .. it's just cooler/more fun to do it wirelessly

Personally .. I'd just get a wireless remote tho(but that's me) .. I suppose it's handy having access to another way to do something.

Member formerly known as : Lplates
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. Will pass on all the info to middle son