User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  10

Thread: My 6D vs 5dmk3 impressions so far

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 6D vs 5dmk3 impressions so far

Marianne and I travel with 2 camera bodies and a backup when we go on trips, however, our previous set up was that of 5dmk2 , 5dmk3 and 7D backup.
    Given that I wanted to use one body for work and the backup works best as a full frame unless we bring along another backup wide angle lens, we opted to get a 6D body.
    I used the 5dmk3 and 6D for about half of the most recent trip each and here's some of the initial experiences

1. Body : 6D smaller, lighter and if set up as 6D +17-40 vs 5dmk3 +16-35mm, the 6D setup is much more compact. This means that that's my preference for taking it on treks where I'm looking to minimise weight (eg multiday hikes)
    2. Ergonomics: all of the buttons are on the right hand side of the 6D which takes a bit of getting used to and I'm not sure if it's better. The joystick on the 5dmk3 is far superior to the rather flimsy feeling 4 way joystick sitting on top of the dial of the 6D.
    3. AF : 5dmk3 clear win with options for AF points - I haven't been able to test the reportedly better 6D AF in very dark settings
    4. Image quality: Suprisingly at low iso, I notice a little bit of noise on the 6D (very slight) but at high iso, the 6D does VERY well , in fact, I'd have to say at least on par with the 5dmk3 for the star shots that I took on the trip.
    5. Post process: I find that the 6D files cannot be pushed as far as the 5dmk3 files in terms of colour adjustment or highlights and shadow adjustment. This may be a good thing in terms of keeping me from going too far with post processing but from what I've played around with, artefacts do start to appear earlier.
    6. Weather sealing : thankfully I've been paranoid enough to not test this by keeping the cameras protected.

My verdict - if you are a landscape photography solely and into night photography - I can't see much reason to fork out the significant extra $$$ for the mk3. If on the other hand, you do other genres of photography (even for me, taking pictures of Charlotte are much easier on the mk3 due to the AF options) which might be AF dependent, then the 5dmk3 is clearly ahead.
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear some feed back from someone who has used the 5Dmk3 as a comparison.
    I've had a 6D for about 6mths and I have been impressed with its performance.

I can see the advantages of it complementing the 5Dmk3 as a second camera for landscape/night photography, but at the same time offering alternatives with its weight, size and even the GPS for your travels.
    Where there is a chance of damage, it could also be used as the more expendable option (given the price difference).

Its a good incremental upgrade from the 5Dmk2 I would think with the 6D's size, weight, processing speed and newer AF system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 6D and purchased it mainly because of health issues with arthritis in the hands. It is lighter and smaller than my 40D and also really comfy to hold. So far i am very pleased with the performance, no weather sealing doesn't bother me as i don't have any either so not likely to be testing that aspect of it.
    Julie

Canon 6D,Fuji X100
    l Canon 50mm f1.8 MK l l Canon 85mm f1.8 l Canon 100mm f2.8L Macro l Canon 24-70IS f4L l LR4/CS6

Shore Crawler
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just used the 6d /5dmk3 setup for our last wedding
    holding the 6D all day , I have to say, was easier work than 5dmk3 (especially when paired with heavier lenses)
    Who would have thought that 200 odd grams or so would make a such a difference!
    Also, I spent most of the day shooting at highish iso while indoors and if well exposed, those iso3200 and 6400 shots just obviate the need for flash as the quality is awesome!
    Will post some from the wedding in the appropriate section.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcas View Post
    I have the 6D and purchased it mainly because of health issues with arthritis in the hands. It is lighter and smaller than my 40D and also really comfy to hold. So far i am very pleased with the performance, no weather sealing doesn't bother me as i don't have any either so not likely to be testing that aspect of it.
    Me too - I have arthritis in my hands and the lighter weight of the 6D is a big plus. I still use the 40D occasionally, but as a carry around unit the 6D is brilliant.
    Canon 6D
    Canon 40D
    16-35 L 2.8 11 USM
    24-105 L IS USM
    70-200 2.8 L IS USM 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing your experience. Please keep us updated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am finally getting a 6D next fortnight which is an upgrade from my 60D. From everything I have read and watched, I shouldn't have many problems getting used to it as it appears to be based on the 60D layout. In saying that, having everything on the right is exactly what I have been used to the last few years.

I tried to justify getting a 5D mk3 but just couldn't. I did get a bit tired of watching youtube reviews comparing the 6D to the 5D MK3. I ended up thinking that it is an unfair comparison as they aren't aimed at the same market, nor are they close in price.

Shore Crawler
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Despite how good the 6d is, if I have to choose which to take on a landscape shoot, the mk3 still wins out. Better quality images to work with and ergonomics which I find more natural. af may not be so much of an issue now we are not doing weddings or events !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having owned both also, I have to agree with most of what you found Dylan. I recently sold my 6D in favour of a 5dmk3 purely for the AF system. The 6D's center point was amazing, but I found I needed a bit more for the wildlife stuff I was going to do on my trip.

One thing different though - I found the 6d files when pushed a little didnt get the notorious banding issues that the 5d2 and 5d3 have. Either way, they both have amazing IQ.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for doing this comparison - been thinking of getting a 6D as a second body and currently shoot with a 5D3 so this is super relevant to me.
    My website has my most recent work - mostly music photography. I am a photographer for Violent Soho, Dune Rats and more.

I also have a photography podcast you might love, or download some Lightroom presets.

Shore Crawler
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tim, I reckon you're right, I wrote that while editing on the laptop - at home I find I can push the files just as much on the 6D
    Fed, the 6D would make a great companion for your lowlight music photography (and landscapes of course!)