Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5

Thread: Some questions on upgrades to new PC

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some questions on upgrades to new PC

Im looking at purchasing a new PC and wondering what I should upgrade or things I should make sure I have for efficient/speedy use for photoshop programs and plug ins.
    I'm having this built by a local computer place and they have what they call a performance box but I am looking at upgrading a few things.

has
    2TB
    I7 4770
    asus NVidia GT640 2GT but upgrading too asus Gtx660 2G extra $140 or gtx760 2G extra $225 (if worth it)?
    8gb ram but upgrading too 16gb 1600mhz for $90 or should I go faster or more ram?
    mother Board not sure what it is but upgrading too msi gaming board, think it has 6 USB3 and 2 usb2 in front don't know specs extra $110

should this do me? Is the graphics card important? I play a little online gaming but not much. This gets close to my budget of $1400
    cheers
    Glenn
    Last edited by glennb; 03-03-2014 at 10:21pm.
    Cheers Glenn
    NIKON D610
    FUJIFILM X-T20

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glenn, those specs should do the whole block where you live!!!
    IMO - or AFAIK - higher video cards are more of use for gaming and rendering applications rather than just processing images
    with the likes of Photoshop. Well, the cost sounds about right.
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Glenn, those specs should do the whole block where you live!!!
    IMO - or AFAIK - higher video cards are more of use for gaming and rendering applications rather than just processing images
    with the likes of Photoshop. Well, the cost sounds about right.
    Am.

Thanks AM, Shouldn't out date in a few years then

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll be out-of-date when you get it. My "system" is 4+ years old and does me fine, but just for the pic editing I do. I do not play games or do
    any heavy video work. It is just a Core2Quad at 2.4Ghz. But hang out for other opinions.
    Am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glenn, I'd seriously consider adding a 128GB (At least) SSD for your operating system and programs they are only $150 so don't add too much to the overall cost just stay away from the OCZ ones...

Make sure your 2TB hard drive is 7200rpm and not 5400rpm, makes a bit of a difference for large image files....

Graphics card wise I doubt you'd notice the difference between the 760 and 660 unless your hard core gaming so save your cash and get the 660 even though it is the outgoing model. Check if it is the overclocked model 660 or not?

Motherboard wise make sure it is SATA3 6GB compatible and has a couple of ports, same with your hard drives make sure they are SATA3 6GB.

Costs should be equal to or better than as follows and if they are much better please let me know where from!! lol

2TB HDD 7200rpm - $160
    128GB SSD - $150
    I7 CPU 4770 - $360
    MSI Motherboard inc 6xSATA3 Ports and USB3- $150
    16GB RAM - $190
    MSI GTX660 Graphics - $220
    Case - $100
    Power Supply $100
    DVD - $20
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit (OEM) - $165

Assembly - The shop I buy my parts from does assembly and OS install and test for $29.....

I think we are a little over your budget over $1,400 though at $1,650 inc assembly and install etc though unless you are supplying the case etc from your existing PC.
    Last edited by JJM; 04-03-2014 at 1:09am.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agree re an SSD for the operating system and programmes. But get a 256GB one not the 128. I have a 128GB SSD and with Windoze, Office, Photoshop, Lightroom and a couple more programmes I use, the 128GB is nearly all used up.

Software, make sure to buy a 64 bit version of windoze as the 32bit version has a limited access to the RAM stack and having 16GB ram is really a bit useless if you only have 32 bit Windoze.

And yes a decent graphics card. When you start opening several photos at once to stitch a panoramic, the more RAM you have access to and the better graphics card you have, will see you rendering those multiple images smoothly and quickly. Try stitching 10 Nikon D800 files of 30-50MB each together and then you will see your system being tested to its limits.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone, comes with windows 7 and 8.1 64bit so I can get the full use of the RAM. was thinking of adding the ssd later but might get it now and the 256 GB one. JJM thanks for that info on the Hdd speed and the SATA3 6GB info I will make sure it has that on the mother board and hard drives.
    Cheers
    Glenn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your setup may need cooling depending on how close you're going to it's limit. One or two strategically placed cooling fans work for most applications

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glenn adding a SSD at a later date is painful as it means reinstalling all your operating system and programs. If your budget can stretch to the 256GB SSD then for sure get it as the extra space is worth it. I have been making do with a 128GB and only having my current working files on it. With the 128GB drive and all my programs Including AutoCAD, Revit, Inventor, CS5 and a number of others I have about 12 - 20GB free so I am constantly shifting photo's to the storage drive once processed. I'll be installing a second SSD just for storage in the coming weeks though....lol

Quote Originally Posted by glennb View Post
    Thanks everyone, comes with windows 7 and 8.1 64bit so I can get the full use of the RAM. was thinking of adding the ssd later but might get it now and the 256 GB one. JJM thanks for that info on the Hdd speed and the SATA3 6GB info I will make sure it has that on the mother board and hard drives.
    Cheers
    Glenn

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJM View Post
    Glenn adding a SSD at a later date is painful as it means reinstalling all your operating system and programs. If your budget can stretch to the 256GB SSD then for sure get it as the extra space is worth it. I have been making do with a 128GB and only having my current working files on it. With the 128GB drive and all my programs Including AutoCAD, Revit, Inventor, CS5 and a number of others I have about 12 - 20GB free so I am constantly shifting photo's to the storage drive once processed. I'll be installing a second SSD just for storage in the coming weeks though....lol
    Thanks JJm, I think your right, I didn't think about having too reinstall everything when installing the the SSD at a latter date. I think I will save a bit longer and get it.
    cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The SSD is the best thing you can do if your planning on running photoshop etc. 16gb of ram is plenty 1600mhz is good no real need to go higher. CPU sounds ok and the video card is not too important.
    Make sure you get a good cooling system and consider the case you buy in this respect.