Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5

Thread: The 70-200 conundrum for Nikon

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 70-200 conundrum for Nikon

Well, after mulling over this decision for many, many, many months, I bit the bullet today and made a decision.

The obvious choice was the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VRII, but as an enthusiastic amateur, I just could not justify the price.

I thought seriously about the f4 version, but also felt that the pricing was over the top, particularly when the Nikon bean-counters decided not to include a tripod mount.

I looked at Sigma, I had a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 in Pentax mount, and was delighted with it.

So, that leaves the Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di VC USD. I still have a Tamron SP 19AH 70-210mm F/3.5 Lens, and apart from the dreaded purple fringing in high contrast shots , it's a stellar lens.

I was about to hit the 'BUY' button with either eGlobal or DWI, when I had one last troll of the market and found Ted's Camera's offering it for $1299.00, with a genuine local oz warranty. Ted's Cameras ???? When did they wake up that the market was bypassing them for better pricing and service? Did their 'Price match' thingo and they came back with $1265.00, with genuine Australian warranty.

At only a bit over $110 more than the grey imports, it was a no-brainer.

So, the Debit Card has been 'Hit' and , hopefully, it should arrive next week.

I've read a squillion reviews, and they all seemed pretty positive, Fingers crossed.

Will keep you posted!
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I did the same thing. Albeit through George's in Sydney. Found out through here that Tamron (well the importer anyway) sells locally at the same price as grey import.

I LOVE my Tamron 70-200 sharp, quick (not as quick as nikon) and comfortable to use (better than nikon). And you certainly can't argue with the price

On my D7000 I did have to fine tune the focus just a little.

I am sure you'll enjoy it!!
    cheers
    danny
    Last edited by danny; 18-01-2014 at 10:57pm.

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Tamron is a superb 70-200 f2.8. From what I have read and seen about it, you will not be disappointed. Happy shooting with your new toy.

Still in the Circle of Confusion
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    The Tamron is a superb 70-200 f2.8. From what I have read and seen about it, you will not be disappointed. Happy shooting with your new toy.
    Cheers Mate.

I've been asked to do a wedding, not too formal, in a park, for a friend, and it gave me the excuse to get a VC/OS/VR type lens.

Looking forward to posting some shots from it.

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    Cheers Mate.

I've been asked to do a wedding, not too formal, in a park, for a friend, and it gave me the excuse to get a VC/OS/VR type lens.

Looking forward to posting some shots from it.
    70-200 is a great range for a wedding. Look forward to your results.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that.. I have been looking at the tamron 70-200 2.8 VC myself

heaps of reviews out there..90% aregood, great to see a no fuss post about it.. but Teds Camera's bit blew me away!

Hmm, have fun and enjoy the camera, hope to see some images
    Cheers

Wazza
    ---------------------

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lens is good Kevin.

I've had a play with one in the store.

Focus felt fine. it feels 'Sigma fast' rather than 'Nikon lightspeed' in terms of swiftness, and definitely faster than the old non VC 70-200 they have.

One thing I noted was the lack of any feedback in the VC system, and more importantly an almost total lack of noise.
    If you're used to Nikon's VR, this may give the impression that VC may not be working properly, but it is(or should be).

Ted's pricing sounds almost too good to be true, and if I we're currently restricted I'd be chasing one down as we speak!

This is definitely a lens I'll be acquiring in the foreseeable future to replace my old non VC version(I find old age necessitates stabilization now).

Ted's!!?? ... who'da thunk it
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *removed - read the site rules : in particular rule 3* I have also had my eye on one of these for a while, also a few other bits and pieces. Don't always expect bricks and mortar stores to be cheaper / close to grey, but at only 10% markup, i think it is acceptable!
    Last edited by ricktas; 07-02-2014 at 4:23pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *removed - read the site rules, in particular rule 3*
    Last edited by ricktas; 24-02-2014 at 11:43pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danny View Post
    I LOVE my Tamron 70-200 sharp
    I am having mixed feelings about my 70-200, seems to be quite soft across the middle when at 200mm, F/8 focused at infinity. Possibly user error rather than a faulty lens. I would ask if anyone knew a place in Sydney that can check the optics of a lens (is this breaking forum rules?)

However that said, the build quality is really good on this lens, the autofocus is very fast, focus breathing is obvious, but for the price you pay for one of these, i absolutely love it.

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you done an AF fine adjustment check?

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattweller View Post
    I would ask if anyone knew a place in Sydney that can check the optics of a lens
    Well, assuming that the lens is still under warranty and that you are still using a Nikon camera, I would trot it of to Maxwells who are the importer / distributor.
    Seeing as Maxwells used to be the official Australian Nikon distributor and that they have moved headquarters reasonably recently from the same industrial estate that Nikon used to inhabit in Lidcombe to their new address in Homebush which is entirely coincidentally very close to where Nikon moved to in Rhodes.

I am sure that between the 2 places they would be able to evaluate and reassure you about both lens and camera.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been considering the Tamron 70-200 F2.8 for a while. All the reports I've read claim it to be outstanding. The quality of the Nikon F2.8 but for the price of the Nikon F4.
    Interesting about Ted's pricing. Haven't looked at their site for ages. Last time I was looking for my D700 (2012) and their prices were 50% above Hong KOng priceing.

Still in the Circle of Confusion
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drivermann View Post
    I have been considering the Tamron 70-200 F2.8 for a while. All the reports I've read claim it to be outstanding. The quality of the Nikon F2.8 but for the price of the Nikon F4.
    Interesting about Ted's pricing. Haven't looked at their site for ages. Last time I was looking for my D700 (2012) and their prices were 50% above Hong KOng priceing.
    Just make sure you are looking at the newer VC model and not the old 'Macro' version.