User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Broke my 18-55mm Canon 600d lens. Advice on more versatile replacement

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Broke my 18-55mm Canon 600d lens. Advice on more versatile replacement

Dropped the camera. 18-55mm lens itself didn't break, but the autofocus no longer works.

1. I'm assuming cost of repair is probably not worth it?

2. REPLACEMENT = I don't tend to use a big lens, but want a stock lens that can do the up close work, but with little more zoom than the 55mm.
    I'm not a $1000/lens person. I'm kind of hoping for $200-$400 but will pay more if that's what's really needed. Open to Tamron or Sigma lenses.

I photograph people, landscape, portraits, little stuff (almost macro)... and I travel a lot so love something that doesn't take too much room. Photography is only one of many interests so I'm no expert and don't buy the best of everything - but still try to capture those things that intrigue me as thoughtfully & creatively as I can. Amazing images were produced on pinhole cameras, but... lenses do make a difference, I know.

Would appreciate suggestions on appropriate lenses.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    17 - 70 MM Sigma - Covers the bases very well on a APS-C body.

Review here, and very positive.

Rough idea on price - local stock, and Aussie warranty. Here - I'm not pushing DCW, just used as an example. There are Site Sponsors that will be able to help you directly with firm pricing, look under the site sponsors tab/banner
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 15-85 canon, ef-s only so if you go full frame it is no good. Bit more than you would perhaps want to pay, $600 odd, but it is a really good lens and very versatile with that range of zoom.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a useful link to show the image quality of the two above mentioned lenses, you just need to move the cursor over the top and the arrow show which camera/lens combination is displayed. The Sigma is quiet good indeed.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...mp=1&APIComp=2