User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  15

View Poll Results: What is your favourite photographic genre?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Places (landscapes, seascapes etc)

25 29.41%
  • Creatures (birds, animals etc)

20 23.53%
  • People

10 11.76%
  • Sport

9 10.59%
  • Other (please specify in thread)

8 9.41%
  • Macro

6 7.06%
  • Nature (plants, insects etc)

4 4.71%
  • Abstract

3 3.53%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your favourite genre?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went for creatures. Although I wouldn't say that it is my favorite it's just something that's easily accessed. I do like sport for a challenge but that's few and far between.
    Canon 7d efs 15-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Nicon coolpix 5400

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ROA44 View Post
    ..... However I do want to try and extend into other genre's
    Need a reason? Join in here ....... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...enges-52-2014:)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not surprising that 'Places' is leading, well at the time of writing anyway. While I sometimes dabble in other genres I always return to the only genre that really interests me, Land/Sea/City scapes, coupled with 10 stop ND long exposures.
    Canon 550D/7D - Canon 24mm IS USM - Sigma 10-20mm - Canon 15-85 IS USM - Sigma 28-300mm | RS60E3 cable remote | B&W ND110, Hoya CPL, ND2, ND8, Cokin P series H250A GND 'kit' | An embarrassingly cheap SLIK tripod.
    Software: PS CS5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sport sport sport and then weddings. odd mix i know
    Canon 6d, 7d , 40d, 100-400L, 24-105Lmm, 50mm 1.8, 28-135 and a sigma 18-200
    Aquatech underwater housing
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/neilpoulton/

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked "other" because I like weird creative stuff and tabletop photography. It's the God complex .... table top photography gives you total control !!!

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like looking at landscape photos and macros as photographed by other people but chose creatures as my own subject of choice as native animals and dogs are my passion and interest .... however not at the same time or in the same photo!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I chose Nature, because it's so open haha. But I really love shooting land/seascapes, animals, macro, I often don't get the camera out when I'd love to. Land/seascapes are so versatile, animals are unpredictable and you can get magic shots with an itchy trigger finger, and macro is simply another universe.

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I chose places but I'm still waiting to shoot a fantastic landscape/seascape. I also enjoy sport, birds and candid people shots - but only have the confidence to do this when away on holidays.
    Glenda

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Creatures" for me, which mainly means birds, but I also enjoy Macro ie insects. The main reason for this is because you don't have to hunt too hard to find a new subject. Just walk outside. With Landscapes & Architecture etc. it usually means jumping in the car and going somewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anything paid :-)

Mostly sport though these days
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted other as I don't seem to have a favourite.

Just enjoy what I do take.

Derek
    Pentax K-3 and some Sigma lens's

CC always welcome but please ask first.Thank you, Derek

Trust in God,but tie up your Camel.

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    F O O D ...!! Particularly other peoples'
    Nikon and Pentax user

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I chose places but I am getting an interest in macro/insect photography, Im starting to see a different alien like world that getting my interest.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked "other". Anything that requires creativity to tell a story, really. Always looking for Le Moment Decisif, in any picture.
    Last edited by jev; 15-01-2014 at 11:15pm.
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Places, namely architecture and the way it interacts with it's surrounds.
    Canon 600D; Twin Kit Lens; EF 50mm 1.4; EFS 17 - 85mm
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ev601/

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the comments and votes. I wanted to see if your choices in this poll reflected how the voting went on the Photo of the Year. Thus from this poll and the 'least favourite genre' poll, I was interested in seeing if the way you viewed different genre, affected how you would vote in a photography competition.

*You being as a group, not individually
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an individual I definitely vote lower on genre and subjects I am least interested in compared to the "Group".
    I like to look at how I have voted compared to everyone else. It is interesting to see that the biggest variation usually correlate to those genres and subjects I do not find ingesting. This should be no surprise, just human nature, the biggest surprise is the amount of variation.
    Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most certainly places.

I grew up interacting with the outdoors and now I do it for a job. Landscapes make sense to me. When I look at a photo of somewhere I find it easier to embrace it.

Photos of someone on the otherhand don't encourage that same level of empathy or personal involvement. Animals go a bit both ways; photos of animals in their natural habitat absolutely do it for me, but the habitat is crucial. Photos of animals in zoos/enclosures/managed places, no, no thanks.

Photos of something I find go a bit both ways too. How that thing interacts with its surroundings is pretty key (so a lighthouse getting smashed by a huge wave, yes, everyone has seen that photo, I shamelessly love it)... otherwise it just strikes me as documentation (here's a photo of me with the Eiffel Tower/Leaning Tower of Pisa/Opera House/etc).

Sport is pretty great though. The conflict and the pursuit of excellence, when it's captured well it's awesome. A lot of the time though it still strikes me more as just snaps from a sideline. I think it's genuinely hard to cross that bridge.
    Last edited by rackham; 31-01-2014 at 5:57pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wild birds are my number 1 focus, however of late I have been getting into photographing my extensive chicken collection

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoy shooting a wide range of subjects but I derive most enjoyment from capturing shots of wildlife of the non-human variety.

The (civilised) human animal is too often prone to affectation (trying to look 'hot', be 'cool, 'unreal', 'wicked'...especially in their selfies) and the desire to make a buck at the expense of losing any kind of credibility. This certainly does not apply to victims of wars, famines, disasters... captured by press photographers, often at personal risk. I treasure a great many pics I've taken of people in villages in Africa, India, South America, Borneo, Madagascar... going about their daily business.

There are always amazing triumphs or calamities in the sporting arenas. I have shots of nacreous clouds in Antarctica and amazing sunrises and sunsets all over the world but the shots I treasure most (other than those of my grandson) are of wild creatures doing their thing: lions, tigers, cheetahs, leopards, hyenas chasing and bringing down their prey; Polar bears, Rwandan gorillas, Malagasy lemurs, orang-utans & proboscis monkeys of Borneo at play in rainforests; albatrosses, boobies, condors, drongos, eagles, flamingos, frigate birds, horn-bills, tropic birds ...

...it really gives me a charge to catch them doing their thing, being beautiful without posturing!
    I voted for creatures.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast