User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Magic lantern and damage to cameras??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Magic lantern and damage to cameras??

Hey all,

After reading a bit about Magic Lantern for canon cameras I have noticed that it mentions that developers are not liable for any damage to a device.

My question is can devices be damaged by using programs like this on cameras?? Or are they just covering themselves?

Thanks Ragsy

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With my(limited) understanding of how Magic Lantern's firmware works, they're just covering themselves.

The biggest issue with loading a non genuine firmware is the risk of bricking the device.
    But ML runs from the memory card, not loaded into the cameras memory module. So if the camera locks up, you take out the card and the camera works as per normal.

As for hardware damages??? It's safe to assume that the manufacturer has limits imposed on what the devices hardware can and can't (physically) achieve.
    On the lower end devices, these limitations will surely be a marketing exercise, more than a physical hardware limit.
    But if there is any option to push hardware further, for the purpose of achieving greater results in some form, then you could run into trouble.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply.

Much helpful.

Ragsy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using LM on a 60D and 550D for a couple of years now with no problems at all. Most used features for me are the magnified focussing and audio monitoring when videoing the kids' stage performances.
    Mark

Canon 70D w/Grip l Canon 60D w/Grip l EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM l EF 70-200 f4L IS USM l EF-S 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM l EF 100 f2.8 USM Macro l EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS STM l EF 50 f1.8 II l Canon EF-S 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM l 430 EX II Flash l Rode Stereo VideoMic l Manfrotto 055XPROB + 498RC2 Tripod l Benro MP-96 M8 Monopod l Lowepro Vertex 200 AW Backpack l Lowepro Pro Runner 300 AW Backpack l PS CS5 Extended l Lightroom 4.3

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unistudent1962 View Post
    I've been using LM on a 60D and 550D for a couple of years now with no problems at all. Most used features for me are the magnified focussing and audio monitoring when videoing the kids' stage performances.
    Sorry to but in, Mark - How well does the magnification work? and is that on the 60D as I've towed with the idea of putting ML on 50D. I use Liveview a lot for landscape work.

Cheers
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for your contribution

Another question for you guys that use it, how did u manage to copy ML to a SD card?? Can you use a card reader or does that only read the cards?

Ragsy

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ragsy. Yes. That's right. Usually, you copy it to the root directory of the card, so, if for example, your card
    shows up as Drive E: on your computer, put ML in a folder structure that will look like:
    E:\ML.

That is, of course, unless the instructions tell you to do something else. Then follow your camera instructions for how to load and run it
    for use in the camera.

Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks Am

how do you copy it?? with a card reader, will a card reader write onto the card or only read it??

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With a card reader(/writer). So it's too long to say card-reader/writer, so...
    Hook it up. It acts like a disk drive. Copy the files onto it (the root directory), and
    put the card back into your camera. Anyway, you can just hook the camera direct to the computer with USB, too.
    Am.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have only heard of people having problems when they've created te problems themselves.
    My website has my most recent work - mostly music photography. I am a photographer for Violent Soho, Dune Rats and more.

I also have a photography podcast you might love, or download some Lightroom presets.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed - I installed it for my 60D as well and have had no problems at all
    Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have installed the basic Magic Lantern version and the RAW version about a dozen times now. The only problems i had was the camera going dead and having to remove the battery and the card. But all is well. Yesterday the sensor overheating icon came on after the camera had been switched on for an hour. that is the first time i had the sensor overheating problem. The reason why the guys give the big disclaimer is to protect themselves legally - if you install Magic Lantern then you need to take full responsibility but from what i have read on the Internet and my own experience so far there does not seem to be any real danger with ML. Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried installling Magic Lantern on my 60D a few months back and couldn't get it working. However, it was really late (or, more precisely, really early the next morning) and I was tired and in a rush to get it done so I could go to sleep, so I might have missed a step or two.

Going to try again soon, and see if I can get it working properly.

- - - Updated - - -

I tried installling Magic Lantern on my 60D a few months back and couldn't get it working. However, it was really late (or, more precisely, really early the next morning) and I was tired and in a rush to get it done so I could go to sleep, so I might have missed a step or two.

Going to try again soon, and see if I can get it working properly.
    Nick T.

Canon EOS 60D; Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM; Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM; Canon "Nifty Fifty" 50mm F/1.8 II; Canon 100mm f/2.8 IS USM Macro; 2x Sigma EF-530DG Super flashes; Manfrotto 190XProB + 804CR2

Lightbender
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This looks interesting. I shoot with a 500D and note theres a port for that body.

From those who use it, what are the long exposure benefits? The wiki has some info but not much specific to the 500D.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant S View Post
    This looks interesting. I shoot with a 500D and note theres a port for that body.

From those who use it, what are the long exposure benefits? The wiki has some info but not much specific to the 500D.
    I have on the 1100d and with mine you set "bulb" to basically as long as you like. I'm not sure what else apart from maybe the Intervalometer and advanced bracket controls that may help long exposures.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grant S View Post

I have on the 1100d and with mine you set "bulb" to basically as long as you like. I'm not sure what else apart from maybe the Intervalometer and advanced bracket controls that may help long exposures.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this thread is still alive, I have just installed it and it works fine for me.

A couple of things to note:

Format the card in your camera - as per instructions.

Insert card in computer.

Copy files to the card's root directory.

EJECT the card. (I"m using XP and you open the drive list and right click the disc and scroll to EJECT")

Put it in camera, "updates software" let it run.

You see a screen saying it is done, and that's it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have ran ML on my 600d for over a year no problem, great for taking photos of lightning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup old thread but I also never had issues with my 60D
    Hayden

Canon Collector
    My Flickr