User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camera bag as carry on bag, options?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Camera bag as carry on bag, options?

Hello,

I was wondering what people here have used camera bag wise as a carry on bag when flying international?
    An upcoming trip has me wanting a good size camera bag that needs to fit the carry on bag requirements, Qantas, while still carrying a good amount of gear.

Photo Bizarro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use an f-stop Kenti, and have found it to be an exceptional bag for this purpose. Enough room for a DSLR plus several lenses, still with enough space for food/extraneous clothing etc. It's a side access bag also, which I really like for accessing gear on the go (no need to put the bag down).

http://shop.fstopgear.com/us/product...cks/kenti.html
    My name is John.
    www.jrfraser.com

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks will check them out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just picked up a Crumpler for an upcoming trip. Well built, and there are a few options based on how much stuff you have, and you can arrange the dividers as needed.
    [CENTER][FONT="Arial"]Canon 40D
    Velbon Sherpa 450R | Canon Speedlight
    Canon 17-85mm F/4-5.6 IS USM | Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM | Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Photoshop CS4 Extended

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try thinktank. In my experience, they are much better quality than Lowepro and they don't look like camera bags. The bag I have is the ThinkTank retrospective 20 which carries a pro size DLSR with 70-200 attached but they have different sizes to cater for different requirements.

I put up a review here:

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...tive-20-Review

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would highly recommend the Think Tank range of 'Airport' backpacks http://www.thinktankphoto.com/catego...backpacks.aspx As the name implies, they are specifically designed around maximising capacity but complying with airline requirements. I have two - The (older model) smaller Airport Antidote V2 will fit two pro bodies + 4-5 lenses etc. The larger Airport Accelerator I took to Kenya late last year was packed with two Canon 1D3's, EF500f/4, EF70-200f/2.8, EF24-70f/2.8, EF17-40f/4, TC1.4x and various other bits & pieces including laptop & ipad. Whilst it weighed a 'little bit' over the 7kg limit I had no problems with it size wise and got to Africa & back with no dramas.

Cheers
    John

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers guys, I shall check all these out.

Has anyone used Gura Gear? The new bataflae 32L looks interesting though it seems to command a premium.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
    I would highly recommend the Think Tank range of 'Airport' backpacks http://www.thinktankphoto.com/catego...backpacks.aspx As the name implies, they are specifically designed around maximising capacity but complying with airline requirements. I have two - The (older model) smaller Airport Antidote V2 will fit two pro bodies + 4-5 lenses etc. The larger Airport Accelerator I took to Kenya late last year was packed with two Canon 1D3's, EF500f/4, EF70-200f/2.8, EF24-70f/2.8, EF17-40f/4, TC1.4x and various other bits & pieces including laptop & ipad. Whilst it weighed a 'little bit' over the 7kg limit I had no problems with it size wise and got to Africa & back with no dramas.

Cheers
    John
    Just a little Any idea how much it weighed all up?
    Did they say anything about it?

I'm heading to botswana and its my first time taking a large amount of camera gear by myself and I certainly don't want to check anything (except a flash, spare batteries etc)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not check ANYTHING remotely valuable flying to Botswana. You'll fly through Johannesburg where you have about a 1:5 chance of having your luggage raided by baggage handlers who help themselves to anything they feel is worthwhile. I did work in Saudi where I was flying through JHB once a month. My bags were broken into 3 out of 5 trips. I'd find jeans, shoes and other random items missing because I had no valuables in my luggage.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a little worrying. When you say broken into did you have locks on your suitcase or was it just opened? Just trying to work out if some small padlocks or cable ties might help my chances or it they would make the bag more of a target by trying to keep them out.

Might have to just use my old dusty and worn suitcase in the hopes it appears to be less worth their time to raid compared to other peoples.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgo View Post
    Just a little Any idea how much it weighed all up?
    Did they say anything about it?

I'm heading to botswana and its my first time taking a large amount of camera gear by myself and I certainly don't want to check anything (except a flash, spare batteries etc)
    It was about 12.5kg all up... I wasn't worried about size as it was compliant, however I was worried about getting weighed. I slung it over one shoulder when going through check-in/security etc. to make it 'look light'... must of helped as had no requests for weigh in I did have a contingency plan however... I wore a vest, yes very stylish I know , but there was no way I was checking that bag! If I did have to weigh in, the bodies and smaller lens would have gone in the vest, through check-in, then back in the bag!

Cheers
    John

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a little worrying. When you say broken into did you have locks on your suitcase or was it just opened? Just trying to work out if some small padlocks or cable ties might help my chances or it they would make the bag more of a target by trying to keep them out.

Might have to just use my old dusty and worn suitcase in the hopes it appears to be less worth their time to raid compared to other peoples.
    I'd use a hard case if you can and plastic wrap.

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only had carry on luggage weighed a couple of times. Last time our camera bag was way over but we just took out the cameras with the two heaviest lenses attached, put them over our shoulder which made the bag under the 7kg limit. We then replaced them in the bag once we had been through security.
    Glenda

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
    It was about 12.5kg all up... I wasn't worried about size as it was compliant, however I was worried about getting weighed. I slung it over one shoulder when going through check-in/security etc. to make it 'look light'... must of helped as had no requests for weigh in I did have a contingency plan however... I wore a vest, yes very stylish I know , but there was no way I was checking that bag! If I did have to weigh in, the bodies and smaller lens would have gone in the vest, through check-in, then back in the bag!

Cheers
    John
    I have pretty much the same plan. I'm looking for a cheap vest to put in the bag so if I'm hassled I can take it out, put it on and fill the pockets. I don't believe they can argue with that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    I'd use a hard case if you can and plastic wrap.
    Plastic wrap? As in the contents?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lplates View Post
    I've only had carry on luggage weighed a couple of times. Last time our camera bag was way over but we just took out the cameras with the two heaviest lenses attached, put them over our shoulder which made the bag under the 7kg limit. We then replaced them in the bag once we had been through security.
    Did they have any issues with that?

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have pretty much the same plan. I'm looking for a cheap vest to put in the bag so if I'm hassled I can take it out, put it on and fill the pockets. I don't believe they can argue with that.
    I am a little puzzled as to why you feel that you are being hassled if someone who is doing their job asks you to comply with the terms and conditions that you agreed to when you bought the ticket.
    As for any argument, I reckon that if one ensues you will be looking at buying another ticket on another airline at very short notice and considerable expense.
    Size and weight restrictions are applied for several reasons. If all carry on luggage remains within set dimensions then all the passengers who bought a ticket get a fair chance at having the same luggage space and the weight issue is there to try to prevent overhead luggage causing excessive damage to passengers and crew when it is propelled violently around the cabin in times of extreme turbulence that can pop open overhead luggage bins.
    Both pretty fair points I reckon.
    I know, we all like to get a little extra for our money and it puzzles me why there are differing weight limits set on different airlines but at the end of the day their rules are their rules and ignorance is really no excuse for bending them.

As for the original question, set your budget, look at the quality and functionality of bags that match your needs and buy accordingly, after all with a few exceptions from the well known premium brand makers all of them come from much the same factories in China and Viet Nam.
    Even the knock off lowepro, think tank, gura gear products that are available cheaply on the net are rumoured to come off the same production line in the same factory as the genuine items.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    I am a little puzzled as to why you feel that you are being hassled if someone who is doing their job asks you to comply with the terms and conditions that you agreed to when you bought the ticket.
    As for any argument, I reckon that if one ensues you will be looking at buying another ticket on another airline at very short notice and considerable expense.
    Size and weight restrictions are applied for several reasons. If all carry on luggage remains within set dimensions then all the passengers who bought a ticket get a fair chance at having the same luggage space and the weight issue is there to try to prevent overhead luggage causing excessive damage to passengers and crew when it is propelled violently around the cabin in times of extreme turbulence that can pop open overhead luggage bins.
    Both pretty fair points I reckon.
    I know, we all like to get a little extra for our money and it puzzles me why there are differing weight limits set on different airlines but at the end of the day their rules are their rules and ignorance is really no excuse for bending them.

As for the original question, set your budget, look at the quality and functionality of bags that match your needs and buy accordingly, after all with a few exceptions from the well known premium brand makers all of them come from much the same factories in China and Viet Nam.
    Even the knock off lowepro, think tank, gura gear products that are available cheaply on the net are rumoured to come off the same production line in the same factory as the genuine items.
    Hassle may not have been the best word and I fully agree as to why there are weight and size restrictions on over head luggage.
    That said this gear is going with me and as they certainly can't guarantee its safety as checked in luggage then its going on as carry on, one way or another. Even if that means stuffing it in my pockets, down my pants or under a jacket.

- - - Updated - - -

What really annoys me is the price they charge for prepaid excess luggage, over $500 return I believe for just 5kg. If it were more reasonable then I would have considered using my large pelican case and paying the extra for it, but not at those rates. Especially when Joe bob in front of me who weighs 20kg more than me gets the same weight carry on and check in.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That said this gear is going with me and as they certainly can't guarantee its safety as checked in luggage then its going on as carry on, one way or another. Even if that means stuffing it in my pockets, down my pants or under a jacket.
    Please do relate the stories of favourable treatment that you receive from airline staff once they have checked out your physique that is enhanced by a 300mm F/4 lens stuffed inside one trouser leg ------

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Please do relate the stories of favourable treatment that you receive from airline staff once they have checked out your physique that is enhanced by a 300mm F/4 lens stuffed inside one trouser leg ------
    What? Are you saying a female wouldn't be impressed with the bulge from a 300mm f/4 in someone's pants?

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it goes down the pants then its going to need a foot on the lens to clip it on with, so more like a 120-300 2.8 or 200-400 than a 300 f4

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    What? Are you saying a female wouldn't be impressed with the bulge from a 300mm f/4 in someone's pants?
    Who mentioned gender? ------

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a Crumpler "Cobram Outpost" bag which had ample room for my needs. It weighed about 7 kilos when fully packed with all of my gear (not including a tripod) and I wasn't asked to have it weighed at any of the 4 airports that I departed from. I also took a smaller Nikon bag (about $20 at the time of purchase) which I folded up in my luggage - I used this for the day trips as I didn't always need to have all my lenses on me at the one time.
    CAMERA: Nikon D800, Nikon D7000
    LENSES: AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Macro, Sigma 10 - 20mm F/4 - 5.6, Sigma 150 - 500mm F/5 - 6.3 APO DG OS, Nikkor 18 - 200mm F/3.5 - 5.6 VRII,
    Sigma 70 - 200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron SP 24 - 70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, Sigma 85mm F/1.4 EX DG, Nikkor AF-S 16-35mm F/4 ED VR, Nikkor AF-S 200-500 f/5..6E ED VR
    MY WEBSITES: www.nawimages.com, http://nelliewajzerphotography.smugmug.com/, http://NellieWajzerPhotography.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast