Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Weird Can Some Forums Be ?

Formerly : Apollo62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dtoh View Post
    administrator's intelligence was challenged by the thought of 3rd person speak?
    I think you might be on to something there.......

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Pipe View Post
    Stick around here Mongo where your friends appreciate what you have to share. What is Mongo like when on the turps, a bit like Animal off the Muppet's I would imagine..
    great imagination Dave and it would have to be in Mongo's case because he virally does not turps at all. Just as well, he is after all, a handful as he is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by old dog View Post
    definitely their loss I. We all love I on this forum and hope that I loves us as well....which I know he does.
    Mongo knows it sounds strange Dylan, but Mongo could not put it down to anything else. Mongo gave him an opportunity to explain his actions but he failed to do so.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by old dog View Post
    definitely their loss I. We all love I on this forum and hope that I loves us as well....which I know he does.

Mongo says thank you Graeme and says its all mutual.
    Nikon and Pentax user

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a bunch of ninnies, and as other's have said, it is their loss! I love the third person speak of Mongo, as we know that Mongo is a fictional, hairy, bird and animal eating culinary expert and your wordcraft in the third person that makes for very entertaining reading.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to admit that it took me a while to get used to this site in a navigation sense and I disappeared for a good while but I have never found the administration a problem.
    As a moderator on another site I can appreciate the careful monitoring of a newbie but not the rude response.....john
    “Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils."

Hector Berlioz

Who me?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are some strange ones in this world Mongo !!
    Cheers David.

Canon 40D/EF-S 17-85 mm IS/Kenko Extenson Tubes/Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
    Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 /Sigma 70-200/ Sigma 1.4 teleconverter/ some Conkin filters | Adobe Photoshop CS6

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mongo should re-join that forum and speak instead in the FOURTH person. Lettem try to fix THAT!
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me love I to. And me love you.

I deliberately put myself in a situation to get myself band from a forum because I had had enough of the being put down for my thoughts. They would start topics for members to comment on and I found that if my beliefs differed from the majority I would be ridiculed and in a nasty way..

**name removed per forum rules** You and your members Suck
    Last edited by ameerat42; 30-12-2013 at 7:24pm.
    Canon 7d efs 15-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Nicon coolpix 5400

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    What a bunch of ninnies, and as other's have said, it is their loss! I love the third person speak of Mongo, as we know that Mongo is a fictional, hairy, bird and animal eating culinary expert and your wordcraft in the third person that makes for very entertaining reading.

Thanks Lance - Mongo hopes he continues to contribute, entertain and amuse .......he certainly loves trying to.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dbax View Post
    there are some strange ones in this world Mongo !!
    Yes David, it seems so but Mongo thought he was the strangest of them all ....that is until a couple of days ago. someone else is now wearing that crown.........

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Mongo should re-join that forum and speak instead in the FOURTH person. Lettem try to fix THAT!

there is no doubt that would learn 'em AM !!!........but Mongo may never recover either from speaking that way............

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by mongo; 30-12-2013 at 8:23pm.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting thread.
    Sometimes AP is criticised for being too heavy handed in terms of rules and moderations, but that is exactly why AP is safe
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sometimes we just shake our heads as well. When you join AP we send an automated PM to you, both welcoming you to the site and linking you to the Getting Started on Ausphotography guide.

Below is a reply to that PM. There were no other communications with this new member, just this...so I banned them straight away. Member name and email etc redacted.

Whilst this is not the case with Mongo's interaction with the moderators on another site, but from an Admin/Mod point of view, sometimes we just shake our heads..and ban people.

-----Original Message-----
    From: AusPhotography:: Australia's Premier Photography Forum::
    [mailto:rick@ausphotography.net.au]
    Subject: New Personal Message at AusPhotography:: Australia's Premier Photography Forum::

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL!

Dear *redacted*,

You have received a new personal message at AusPhotography:: Australia's Premier Photography Forum:: from ricktas, entitled "Welcome: Getting started on Ausphotography (AP)".

To read the original version, respond to, or delete this message, you must log in here:
    http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/private.php

This is the message that was sent:
    Welcome to Ausphotography. I, the moderator team and the members are looking forward to seeing you on the forums

To help you get started I have included below a link to an Article on the site that gives you an overview of Ausphotography, and how to go about participating on the site.

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...etting_Started
    _on_Ausphotography_AP

Once you start posting, most of the site will open up to you (including the photo forums), within 60 minutes of your first post.

I hope you enjoy the site as much as our existing members do. Welcome aboard Australia's Premier Photography Forum.

Regards,

Rick
    Site Owner/Administrator

[mailto:rick@ausphotography.net.au]
    Subject: New Personal Message at AusPhotography:: Australia's Premier Photography Forum::

You are such a shallow and very weak spirited person. You are not worthy of operating any sites

That was it, no other contact. Not sure whether they did not like my PM, our site rules, or what. But something obviously annoyed them.

Here is another one. A member had created a thread then posted into the thread that he wanted the thread deleted. None of the moderators or I noticed his post, thus the thread stayed on the site for a few hours. I came home to an email demanding I remove the thread. When I went and looked, by that time, one of the moderators had actioned it and removed it.

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 9:10 PM, Ricki Kean <rick@ausphotography.net.au> wrote:
    I came home this evening to your email requesting your thread be removed. I then viewed the thread and saw that the moderators had removed your thread. I apologise this was not done sooner, but we cannot always be online and do not get to view every thread. If you use the report post/thread icon in the thread, every moderator is sent an email advising them of this and whoever is online can action it in a more timely manner. However your last posts to the thread, venting your frustration at the lack of moderation are not appreciated. We actioned it as soon as we became aware of it.

Yes it took several hours to remove your thread, cause we did not see that you wanted it removed.

Below is the reply I received:

Hi Prick, never contact me again via email or elsewhere! Your a ####ing Rude Pathetic ####### ferret looking ####sucking Bastard, so Go and #### YOURSELF and your bitch #####!

#### you very much!

Ah the joys of running a website....hehe
    Last edited by ricktas; 31-12-2013 at 8:46am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL those responses to moderation were ......interesting........someone having a bad day with a touch of coprolalia ?
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some people don't get it that AP is run by a voluntary team (and the members for that matter) and is a free site.

AP (Rick) gives out prizes and awards; runs with significant costs (hosting and software licenses); and does this purely from great sponsorship and advertising.
    A quick calculation tells me that prizes and awards etc. since Rick took over amount to nearly $10,000 and the running costs over that period were of a similar amount.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some forums can be a rewarding and enjoyable experience and some just leave you shaking your head in utter disbelief as to how people wish to portray themselves.

Another hobby of mine is online car racing simulations which I have been doing for the last seven years.
    There are numerous forums ranging from the company who makes a sim, sites dedicated to sim racing and then private leagues who have a site/forum which people can join and race in structured series thus providing good clean racing with a regular and known crew.

I have been involved in several Australian league sites over the years and was a moderator on one.
    I was always proud of how 99% of the members acted and respected each other to an extent that moderation was not needed.
    Just a bunch of fair dinkum Aussies wanting to enjoy their hobby, exchange a bit of good ol' Ausie 'don't take yourself too seriously' banter and remembering we aren't racing for sheep stations.

Then we go to the overseas forums and you'd think you've been dropped in a war zone.
    Inability to accept other peoples opinions, racism, adults acting like 10 year old spoilt brats, teenagers who need a large dose of manners shoved down their throat, threats of violence whilst using in-game voice chat plus on the forums, deliberately provoking arguments ( even has it's own name, trolling ) I could go on and on and on.
    A lot of the times it seems moderators don't want to do much as they have to keep the paying customers from leaving thus losing revenue.
    At other times moderation is taken to extremes.
    I heard of someone getting a forum ban for several months for posting a picture of a carrot. I didn't see the picture but how offensive can a carrot be?

So to sum up, I've found Australian forums to be the most polite and enjoyable ones around.
    Yes, you'll come across the occasional bad apple, or should that be carrot, but that will always be the case.

Sites like Aus Photography can hold their head up high and be proud of it's members and the civilised manner in which they act whilst providing a popular and helpful service to enrich our hobby/passion/job.

Anyway that's my two cents worth, happy new year, it's time I got myself a coldie.
    No, this post wasn't a coldie fuelled blurb, just an observation of the good and bad ways forums are used.
    Last edited by adro; 01-01-2014 at 2:49am.
    Canon 7D
    70-200 f4 L IS
    100mm f2.8 L IS Macro
    EF-S 15-85mm IS

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adro. My ears are still ringing from your endorsement of Aus Photography and Aus Phorums in general

I can agree with some of what you say. I am also on another forum, which, until recently, didn't "bother" to indicate who were the
    moderators. No matter what anybody posted, it would soon descent into a vitriolic bath of tirade, insinuation... etc.

Well, now there are 3 or 4 mods with their roles indicated after their names. The discussions are now still robust, but lacking in the chaotic
    diatribe of aforetimes.

(Actually, the general level of the pictures presented is not as high as on here, although they do range from really top ones. Oh, just musing.)

Am.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the most entertaining photography ones I love to read is a certain landscape forum. A lot of the MF brigade on there. Some superb 'togs and good cc and advice. But a cc thread can turn into 10 page debate about French food vs American food, rights and wrongs of vouyeristic street photography, or the meaning of life. and don't ever mention Mr Rockwell or the hasselblad lunar........

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2
    Matt
    CC always appreciated

My Website
    A Blog of sorts

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mongo has lived anything but a sheltered life and even his jobs can be pretty confronting at times. However, he felt a little naive when he read Rick's last post with very prime examples of what sometimes goes on and is said in the background. Hard to believe and head shaking stuff.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adro View Post
    Then we go to the overseas forums and you'd think you've been dropped in a war zone.
    You must have had bad luck than. I am a member on several forums, some Australian, a couple US ones and several Dutch ones. Topics range from photography to cars to golf to hifi to work-related subjects. I have been a moderator at a couple and a juror with one of the largest Dutch photography forums. There are badly run forums out there, sure - but many others are just as welcoming, open-minded and controlled as this one. Just weed out the bad ones and continue on the great ones like ausphotography.
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mongo's story reminds me of this scene from the West Wing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAB858elJOw

Even if you're not a West Wing fan you can get the picture of what's going on. The internet is a crazy place.

I'm a forum veteran despite my relatively young age (23) - I've been hanging out on online communities for nearly half my life. I've seen some horrendous stuff in some forums and been an active member of some very good ones, but I've never been in a forum that's as welcoming and as engaging as this one.
    I'm Sam.

D810, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8, Nikon 16-35 f/4, Nikon 80-200 f/2.8. Sirui W-2204 Tripod w/ K-20x ballhead. Heliopan and Hoya filters.

My photos: Instagram | 500px | Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poor, misunderstood and maligned Mongo.

The forum of which you speak used to have a great sense of humour, but a few years ago, it lost it, for some reason or another, which is why I also left it................
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennymiata View Post
    Poor, misunderstood and maligned Mongo.

The forum of which you speak used to have a great sense of humour, but a few years ago, it lost it, for some reason or another, which is why I also left it................
    thanks for your reply George. Mongo thinks it was also very unfortunate - he would otherwise liked to have stayed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12