Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Weird Can Some Forums Be ?

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How Weird Can Some Forums Be ?

It may be no surprise to many of you that Mongo only lasted about 24 hours on another forum.
    No, it was not another photo forum - it was a car club forum.
    No, it wasn't because Mongo was his usual/whatever self

it was for something totally unbelievable .............
    quick story..........

joined car chat forum (which shall remain nameless - after all, what's in a name ??) on Friday night.
    made a few posts as "Mongo". Got the attention of a few nice and interesting members.
    Some of those members expressly said they loved the Mongo in the third person dialog. Of course, some of the duller ones didn't get it and had a little dig at Mongo. But Mongo has broad hairy shoulders.
    Mongo wrote some in depth goods and bads of a particular model of car which few members had experience with. So, we were constructively contributing to this particular thread.
    Mongo logged in the next day only to find that the administrators had changed all the "Mongo(s)" in Mongo's posts to "I" instead. No notice or permission from Mongo to do so.
    Of course, Mongo immediately wrote to the administrator asking why his posts had been altered, suggesting this was not the norm on other sites and hoping this was not the norm there either.
    Mongo got a very unsatisfactory short answer saying his posts had not been changed - only the "Mongo(s) had been. That of course told Mongo what they did but not why they did it.

Mongo took this as blatantly poor attempt to avoid an explanation. The fact was, the post had been changed by changing "Mongo(s)" to "I" and in such a sloppy way as to then not correct the incorrect grammar that resulted.
    The worst part is that the administrators thought this was OK to do and that members including Mongo should have to put up with that sort of direct interference and misquoting a member's post content.

Mongo's practice did not violate any rules of the forum. It is possible some people are just dull/humourless or intimidated by what they don't understand.

Mongo reminded them that "I" does not make the comments or contributions to the forum - but that Mongo does. Further , that if Mongo was not going to be permitted to make his comments on the forum, then, to please close his account. Thus commenced and ended the short and weird 24 hour experience with that forum. Mongo is used to being thrown out of places but this time, he told them to keep it and that he was leaving.

Mongo does not expect comments on this topic , he was just so blown away with the mentality he encountered, he just had to tell you that, sadly, it still exists.
    Nikon and Pentax user

Moderately Super
    Marlo, a small coastal town in the far east of
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, people can be strange! I think car clubs can be a little bit like stamp collecting clubs - old and stuffy perhaps. Their loss.
    Nikon F65, D50, D200, D700

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as we love you Mongo that the main thing, look I enjoy you speaking in the third person dialogue, its different and puts a spark in my day.
    They are a bit behind the times I think.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their loss Mongo, maybe they couldn't handle that Mongo drove a car or something, lol. My hubby is on 4wd forum and he has made some good contacts, 4wd meets and met some people. Cause he is mechanical and makes/adapts stuff - he has helped many .... its a FJ forum thing for his beast that he drives.
    Shelley
    (constructive criticism welcome)

www.shelleypearsonphotography.com

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We loves Mongo(s)
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mongo lingo caused you to be flingoed?

There was a character from an old TV show 'Fire' called "Grievous" who always spoke in third person.
    He came across as rather dull witted but was a very gorgeous and brave fire fighter!
    When I read your posts I visualise you as the deep voiced hunky Grievous..but a whole lot smarter.
    Oh dear..have I overshared?
    Last edited by JoPho; 29-12-2013 at 3:37pm.
    Been here, not done that.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks to all for your comments and views. The funny part was that Mongo had no difficulty with any of the members really - it was with the last person you would expect i.e. the administrator who should be the most sensible and reasoned person to speak to.

Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    We loves Mongo(s)

Mongo accepts - its a date !........

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JoPho View Post
    Mongo lingo caused you to be flingoed?

There was a character from an old TV show 'Fire' called "Grievous" who always spoke in third person.
    He came across as rather dull witted but was a very gorgeous and brave fire fighter!
    When I read your posts I visualise you as the deep voiced hunky Grievous..but a whole lot smarter.
    Oh dear..have I overshared?

thanks JoPho. Mongo remembers Grievous (Bodily Harm) now that you mention it but did not realise Mongo was doing what he used to do..........

as far as the deep voiced hunky and smart.........Mrs Mongo and the whole research team analysing the "missing link" in human evolution at Cambridge University would definitely not agree with that part of the Mongo fantasy.

You have shared (but not over shared). Even if you had, it is amongst friends.

Mongo much thanks you for your comments.
    Last edited by mongo; 29-12-2013 at 4:43pm.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you should have named the forum and "we" could have joined en masse and all typed in the 3rd person.
    That would have kept the administrators busy for a while to the point of robbing them of valuable gear stick knob polishing time ----
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there loss mongo
    cheers macca

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We loves Mongo(s)
    careful Kym, the world ain't ready for multiple Mongos, neither is the native fauna
    cc and enjoy

Photography is painting with light

K1, Pentax 18-250mm zoom, Pentax 100mm macro, Sigma 50-500mm, Pentax 28-105mm
    Velbon Sherpa tripod Photoshop CS6

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Maybe you should have named the forum and "we" could have joined en masse and all typed in the 3rd person.
    That would have kept the administrators busy for a while to the point of robbing them of valuable gear stick knob polishing time ----
    Ahhh...Andrew how Mongo doth love thy style. A righteous rogue cast in Mongo's own (well, we won't say "image" for your sake) virtues. Truly love the idea. Sadly, the other members there would not have thought to do this or even have attempted it had they thought of it.

Reminds Mongo of when he told this forum that some cranky woman came out abusing Mongo when she saw him taking photos of some Plovers in a small open grassed area next to the national park. No one was in or near the area at the time. One of the AP members said much the same thing ....."tell us where this park is and 40 of us will show up to take photos"......that'll learn her !! Shows great sense of humour, sense of fairness and camaraderie.

thank you for your comments.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mudman View Post
    careful Kym, the world ain't ready for multiple Mongos, neither is the native fauna

Alas, sad but true that Mongo may have to give up his date and deep passions to ensure that there can only be ONE ! .....for the world is not ready for more than that. Sorry Kym.........but can Mongo still keep the prepaid tickets to movies, dinner and hotel suite.....
    Last edited by mongo; 29-12-2013 at 7:30pm.

Formerly : Apollo62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In these days of, at times, extreme political correctness, I would hazard a guess to suggest that all of the Mongos in your post were changed because Mongo can be construed as being short for Mongoloid so it was changed in case anyone might be offended. It certainly doesn't bother me. Mongo is always welcome here .

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo62 View Post
    In these days of, at times, extreme political correctness, I would hazard a guess to suggest that all of the Mongos in your post were changed because Mongo can be construed as being short for Mongoloid so it was changed in case anyone might be offended. It certainly doesn't bother me. Mongo is always welcome here .

thanks for your comments Apollo and interesting theory. Mongo must profess ignorance of what the term "Mongo" may be otherwise used for or associated with. Certainly, he intends no offence.
    In relation to your theory behind the forum's actions, Mongo suspects that is not the case. However, even if it were, then, one would have thought they would not have allowed Mongo to use his name as his forum name either - yet, they did. Very confusing. We will always be left wondering about something that may have no rational answer.
    Last edited by mongo; 29-12-2013 at 8:40pm.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am sure there are plenty out there who think Ausphotography is weird..well that at the least I am. I have had some doozies to deal with over the years. But Mongo, you are not one of them.

Your are a great member, helpful, polite (except for the occasional threat to eat something or someone), your photography is good, your advice is spot on. In other words, we appreciate having you hanging around here.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    I am sure there are plenty out there who think Ausphotography is weird..well that at the least I am. I have had some doozies to deal with over the years. But Mongo, you are not one of them.

Your are a great member, helpful, polite (except for the occasional threat to eat something or someone), your photography is good, your advice is spot on. In other words, we appreciate having you hanging around here.
    Mongo does not quite know how to respond to that. He must be doing something unMongo-like to be getting a good wrap - he must be getting soft. He guesses he will have to eat the neighbours children, their two cats and their galah after all to reprove and re-establish himself and his reputation. He will also throw in their grandmother if she is still living there and the mobility device so their is no doubt.

For a very naughty and oft maligned creature, he is very grateful for the free rein and sanctuary he is given at AP . Thank you for the kind words and confidence.
    Last edited by mongo; 29-12-2013 at 9:44pm.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    Mongo does not quite know how to respond to that. He must be doing something unMongo-like to be getting a good wrap - he must be getting soft.
    softness is a good quality to have in one's fur...

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We loves Mongo(s)
    However, somewhere else, I's loves I.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stick around here Mongo where your friends appreciate what you have to share. What is Mongo like when on the turps, a bit like Animal off the Muppet's I would imagine..
    Canon 7d efs 15-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Nicon coolpix 5400

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    administrator's intelligence was challenged by the thought of 3rd person speak?
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    definitely their loss I. We all love I on this forum and hope that I loves us as well....which I know he does.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast