User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  15
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My latest UPGRADE (a rare event)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    You mean like every virtually other topic that is worth talking about? Everything of interest in photography is "potentially never-ending". If it wasn't for the never-ending topics, this forum wouldn't exist. Is it better to shoot AV or manual? Never-ending topic. Canon vs Nikon? Never-ending topic. Cheaper, lighter glass vs expensive fast glass? Never-ending topic. In-body vs in-lens IS? Never-ending topic. Is the rule of thirds always relevant or should you ignore it? Never-ending topic. Is heavily processed HDR work real photography? Never-ending topic. How much nose reduction is the right amount? Never-ending topic. And so on.

Been a good discussion so far, none the worse for a few hot tempers here and there, with worthwhile views to consider, and I have been following it with interest.
    Hi Tannin - I inherited my looks from the old man I think and the considerable nose goes with it however I am up for a debate!!

Cheers

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just letting you all know - I have just upgraded to a full frame camera......and I put a lot of thought into my purchase and how I will be using it.
    CAMERA: Nikon D800, Nikon D7000
    LENSES: AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Macro, Sigma 10 - 20mm F/4 - 5.6, Sigma 150 - 500mm F/5 - 6.3 APO DG OS, Nikkor 18 - 200mm F/3.5 - 5.6 VRII,
    Sigma 70 - 200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron SP 24 - 70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, Sigma 85mm F/1.4 EX DG, Nikkor AF-S 16-35mm F/4 ED VR, Nikkor AF-S 200-500 f/5..6E ED VR
    MY WEBSITES: www.nawimages.com, http://nelliewajzerphotography.smugmug.com/, http://NellieWajzerPhotography.blogspot.com

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NikonNellie View Post
    Just letting you all know - I have just upgraded to a full frame camera......and I put a lot of thought into my purchase and how I will be using it.
    Congratulations, Narelle! So, is it the D800, D800E or D610?

We are going to the kestrel spot on Monday with Sifor (troy from ther Gold Coast as he is here on holidays) if you are interested in trialling your new purchase.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for you Narelle. Nice.

(Don't forget to update that info in your profile).
    Cheers

You don't have to be dead to be a donor.

Education is what remains after that which has been learnt, has been forgotten.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually haven't received it yet. I bought the D800, Sigma 85mm f/1.4 HSM, Sigma Apo 70 - 200 f/2.8 OS HSM and the Tamron 24 - 70 f/2.8 VS DG. I can also use by Sigma X2 Teleconverter on the 70 - 200.

Lance not sure if I will have the camera by then but I probably will come out with you anyway - hubby is working the late shift and won't be home until around 9pm.

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NikonNellie View Post
    I actually haven't received it yet. I bought the D800, Sigma 85mm f/1.4 HSM, Sigma Apo 70 - 200 f/2.8 OS HSM and the Tamron 24 - 70 f/2.8 VS DG. I can also use by Sigma X2 Teleconverter on the 70 - 200.

Lance not sure if I will have the camera by then but I probably will come out with you anyway - hubby is working the late shift and won't be home until around 9pm.
    Wow, you certainly have spent big and on some seriously good gear!!

I guess hubby has to work late shift in order to help pay for it all!

Anyway, look forward to seeing you there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read the OP..must admit I didn't read anything negative and understood the " thoughtless remark" more as a "no brainer" type reference and that FF was a logical upgrade for many ..
    I looked at the EM1 as a alternative to my current gear ..great camera but for me the files that it produced just didn't have the zing that my D800 does..so Ill lug the beast for a while longer until something better ( for me ) comes along ....good luck with the new gear mate
    Cheers and my name is Steve

OMD Em1...Now with two lenses !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_tompsett/
    http://tommo.smugmug.com/

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo1965 View Post
    I read the OP..must admit I didn't read anything negative and understood the " thoughtless remark" more as a "no brainer" type reference and that FF was a logical upgrade for many .......
    I think that's the problem here:

the idea or notion that an upgrade from a smaller format to a larger format is a no brainer ... that it's just taken for granted as an update path without the need to think about it.
    The reality is tho, as Narelle has also pointed out, that it does require a bit(even a lot) of thought, unless finances are in plentiful supply.
    For some folks this may be true, for others not so ...

So the point, whether made in the form of retribution, or merely as a comment is that this so called upgrade path is not necessarily so!

For Nikon folks(and I think Sony users) the path is made a bit easier, yet a lot more expensive if Nikon or Zeiss lenses are to be taken into consideration, but for Canon devotees the upgrade from APS-C to FF is made even more difficult, if the owner only has EF-S lenses at their disposal. Hence people that do tend to upgrade via this method, they tend to ask questions before they commit to the upgrade path.

This is evidenced by the numerous forum questions posted by many(both here and on almost all other fora) who may be unsure of this line of reasoning.

Yet hardly any, if any, questions are posted asking for advice and commentary with respect to 'upgrading' to a CSC type camera!

Those two conditions subsequently mean one thing:

the upgrade path to a larger sensor camera is much less thoughtless(no brainer) and more likely to be thought provoking!

.... yet an upgrade to a CSC appears to be much less thought provoking, or more natural , evidenced with proclamations of just having done it .. and subsequent related posts to the effect that they should have done it sooner .. etc, ad infinitum

if this weren't the situation close to 50% of most 'never ending' photography related forum activity wouldn't exist.

Of course another possible explanation could be; that people upgrading to a larger sensor simply know a lot less, and people upgrading to a smaller CSC type format know more ... but I doubt that's a reasonable proposition.
    Last edited by arthurking83; 17-01-2014 at 5:39pm.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose most with a top crop body such as a d300 or d300s saw the D700 as the logical next step...but now we live in a world where M4/3 or ML cameras touch on the quality that FF cameras produce the upgrade path needs more thought than the equation on whether you can afford FF lenses or not..of course every decision needs some thought financial or otherwise , but now we have many more choices that will do the job, photographically speaking, a shift to outside to "box thinking" is becoming more and more seductive rather than the next ( no brainer ) step in your current gear line up .. and thats what I think the OP meant .

also if poster is starting threads on a decision to enter the FF arena of cameras doesnt mean its thought provoking..in many cases they are trying to justify a financial expense on any gain they may have for the upgrade ...and on the reverse people that may consider a lesser camera are determining if the image tradeoff is worth the portability and cash in their pocket ..so for me to sell all my nikon gear and buy a lesser camera rather than a D900 would require more thought and consideration than just buying the D900

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12