User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: Up grading camera

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Up grading camera

Ok just wanted to ask yours guy out their that own a Nikon D7100 and the canon 7D what yours think of them and how they work for action and portraits photography. I looking to up grade my Nikon D3100 due to some factors that I don't need to go into. As looking at the reviews on these cameras some have beening saying that the focus is not working, shutter speed not what it should be ect? How have yours found these camera in working to be?

Thanks for you help

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got the 7D and find it a fantastic camera. My primary use is for landscapes but I have done many action shots when out with the 4WD club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently upgraded to the 7100 from the 5100. It's an excellent camera. I don't know the 7D, but I imagine they are both excellent. Not sure what you've heard about the shutter on the 7100. It's excellent. Can do 1/8000, which is great for action and sports, especially in good light. It's weatherproof too. The biggest change you will find is the handling and ergonomics. It won't handhold like the D3100. There are a lot more buttons accessing much used settings, and it's this level of handling that you'll probably find the biggest thing to get used to.
    yiu can keep your eye to the viewfinder and change every common setting just by feel, without taking your eye off your subject. If you're used to using the LCD for everything, you'll need time to adjust.
    It took me several days, but I love it. It's quick and ergonomic. It's a great body.
    what you will find though is the FPS is about 6. You can achieve 7 FPS if you put the camera in 1.3 crop mode though. Definitely a massive upgrade from the 3100 though. It will expect a level of knowledge from you upfront, if you know what I mean.

Bodies: Nikon D7100 / D5100
    Lenses: Nikkor 35mm 1.8, Nikkor 50mm 1.8d, Tamron 60mm Macro, Nikkor 55-300mm, Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, Tokina 11-16mm 2.8

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kel View Post
    ..... As looking at the reviews on these cameras some have beening saying that the focus is not working, shutter speed not what it should be ect? How have yours found these camera in working to be?

Thanks for you help
    Dunno what these reviews were trying to convey, but it sounds ..... 'awkward' .... to say the least(and that's just trying to keep the discussion family friendly! )

Both 7D and D7100 are both very good focusing cameras, and shutter speed will be as close to what the rated speeds could hope to be.
    Anyhow, if it were a choice of 7D or D7100, D7100 is the newer camera with a few advantages up it's sleeve.

The only real problem with ultra high resolution cameras, such as the D7100 (and I suppose to a slightly lesser degree the 7D too tho) is the need for good lenses and technique.

D7100 should serve you well for a while to come.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Dunno what these reviews were trying to convey, but it sounds ..... 'awkward' .... to say the least(and that's just trying to keep the discussion family friendly! )

Both 7D and D7100 are both very good focusing cameras, and shutter speed will be as close to what the rated speeds could hope to be.
    Anyhow, if it were a choice of 7D or D7100, D7100 is the newer camera with a few advantages up it's sleeve.

The only real problem with ultra high resolution cameras, such as the D7100 (and I suppose to a slightly lesser degree the 7D too tho) is the need for good lenses and technique.

D7100 should serve you well for a while to come.
    Agree about the sensor on the D7100. It shows any sloppiness, any motion and poor lenses. I'm still finding out which lenses are better for it than others. I can safely say that the 35mm 1.8 DX lens is still very sharp on the D7100. I;m surprised at the softness of others, but have yet to really test them in real world situations shot after shot, so I'm prepared to reserve judgement.
    The D7100, like the 7D I'm sure, is a serious camera for anybody. It has superb handling, Nikon ergonomics and that shutter is as sweet as cream when it opens and closes. Very happy so far with mine. I loved the D5100. It has fantastic IQ for the buck, but the two bodies are a world apart in terms of handling.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very one on your help with this it has given me lots to think about before going and upgrading my camera this year, as either way I go I want to buy some good lens to replace my kits lens as work is wanting me to do all the centre protraits for the class photo's for every of the children's room and also the fun raising family portraits. So if I decided to do it I need better lens and a better body to handle it