Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: Nikon 14-24 and D7000

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nikon 14-24 and D7000

Hi all,

I'm off to Noo Zillund for the second time in a couple of years in February. After what I saw last time, I'm incredibly excited to spend a good chunk of the time shooting. Last time I went I only had an iPhone (I wasn't into DSLR photography at that stage) and even with that I came back with the best photos I've ever taken. I'm positively giddy at the prospect of taking my D7000 over.

I've done some number-crunching and I've realised that I won't be able to buy a wide-angle lens before then, barring some sort of miracle. An UWA is a non-negotiable for this trip for me, so I started to look at hiring a lens for that period.

Now, I've been set on the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 as a permanent lens to buy in the near future for quite a while, although researching hiring costs sees the Tokina at $100 for a week, and the Nikon 14-24 f2.8 (drool) at $180 for the week.

To me, this seems to be a no-brainer, except for a couple of things I'd humbly like to seek your advice on:

1. Is it worth the extra $80 for a week's shooting? (I've already assumed the answer to this is a yes but I'm interested in another opinion)
    2. Will I gain any benefit out of having an extra 3mm focal length on the D7000 with the Tokina? If so, will the improved IQ from the 14-24 outweigh the extra focal length?
    3. Is the 14-24 'wasted' on the D7000?

The other consideration I've had is the Nikon 10-24 DX zoom, which I can also rent for $100 for the week.

Also, it's nice to be able to get back onto this forum and post - I've had a work-induced layoff from this forum and photography for 7 or 8 months.

Cheers,

Sam
    Last edited by Sdison; 09-12-2013 at 4:04am.
    I'm Sam.

D810, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8, Nikon 16-35 f/4, Nikon 80-200 f/2.8. Sirui W-2204 Tripod w/ K-20x ballhead. Heliopan and Hoya filters.

My photos: Instagram | 500px | Flickr

Photoholic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This probablyisn't going to help much but ,
    I can't comment on the Tokina , the 14-24 on the 7000 gives you around equiv 20-30 and is a cracker of a lens with almost edge to edge sharpness especially on theDX7000 , thrown into the equation I still have my 10-24DX and have to say that will give you a wider field of view and good results on the 7000 but can suffer a little with distortion around the edges , but saying that you can still get very good results with it at UW and you can use CPL's on it whereas the 14-24 not so , in saying that I lurv my 14-24 stuck on the front of my D700
    Does a one legged duck swim in an eliptic circle

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't give you any advice on the 14-24 except to say that it has an exceptional reputation. Hubby and I do have a D7000 and D7100 and also the Tokina 11-16 and Nikon 10-24. I love both these lenses and both have excellent IQ. The Tokina with its f2.8 is great for interior shots in low light but the Nikon going to 24 is better for a walkaround lens. For the stunning NZ landscapes I think either will serve you well.
    Glenda

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Goatch mentioned, whether you plan to use filters like CPL or GND may be a deciding factor.
    When I went over a couple of years ago, I used my GND's a lot more than I thought I would.
    Matt
    CC always appreciated

My Website
    A Blog of sorts

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never actually used filters. Might be a good opportunity to spend some time using them before I head over. I believe one of the hire places may actually provide a set with the non 14-24 lenses they hire out, so if that's the case it may be useful. I'm going to try and take most of my shots around golden hour in morning and evening but I guess there's going to be the inevitable "holy shit that's beautiful" moment when I need to jump out of the car and shoot something during the day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mate,

I recently purchased a Nikon 14-24mm, I haven't tested on a DX body but on my FX body it really lives up to the great reputation it has.

The first time I viewed my images I really was taken back by the edge to edge sharpness, it's a very impressive lens and has quickly become a favorite, the sharpness is just amazing and it's brilliant for astro shots to boot

If we're talking quality and nothing else it's right up there among the best UWA if not the best

Re: Filters, I've found you just need to be creative and pick your light to get around the fact you don't have many options. There are some filter mounts out there but I haven't need them yet

I came from a Nikon 16-35mm 77mm which I had lee filters and a CPL for and it was a joy to use but I'm not missing the fact I can't use filters, yet :P
    Last edited by ScottJon; 09-12-2013 at 4:56pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 17-55 nikon and its terrific but if I were you I`d hire the 11-16 tokina. I must admit that I did the Milford track using the 17-55 on a D80 and I didn`t miss much by only taking this (albeit heavy) lens. Big decision....have a great trip.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If 17 isn't wide enough the effective FOV of 21mm on the 14-24 is a dealbreaker for me unfortunately. Perhaps my sister-in-law wedding photographer might be able to lend me one of her D700s to go with it...

I did try out the Nikon 10-24, Sigma, 8-16 and 10-20 f4.5 today, and I was blown away by the sharpness of the Nikon especially, but also the 8-16 sigma. The Nikon looked fantastic even at the edges and was a bit more contrasty and saturated (things i love) than both Sigs. I may even go with the Nikon while I'm in NZ for the greater focal range, which means I can use it as a walk-around without needing to worry about taking my 35 1.8 everywhere I go during the day. Unfortunately I can't find a Tokina to try out anywhere in Sydney so I may just hire that in order to test it.

Thanks for all the advice guys - appreciate it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdison View Post
    If 17 isn't wide enough the effective FOV of 21mm on the 14-24 is a dealbreaker for me unfortunately. Perhaps my sister-in-law wedding photographer might be able to lend me one of her D700s to go with it...

I did try out the Nikon 10-24, Sigma, 8-16 and 10-20 f4.5 today, and I was blown away by the sharpness of the Nikon especially, but also the 8-16 sigma. The Nikon looked fantastic even at the edges and was a bit more contrasty and saturated (things i love) than both Sigs. I may even go with the Nikon while I'm in NZ for the greater focal range, which means I can use it as a walk-around without needing to worry about taking my 35 1.8 everywhere I go during the day. Unfortunately I can't find a Tokina to try out anywhere in Sydney so I may just hire that in order to test it.

Thanks for all the advice guys - appreciate it.
    I travelled around france with a D7000 and Sigma 8-16mm, was an impressive lens

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved how much wider it was at 8mm. The distortion was approaching fisheye proportions bit that thing is a serious piece of glass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdison View Post
    I loved how much wider it was at 8mm. The distortion was approaching fisheye proportions bit that thing is a serious piece of glass.
    Yer its nice on the DX, the distortion I corrected in ACR, this is a shot I took at the louvre on the way out with a sigma 8-16mm on a d7000, managed to keep pretty straight lines

watermarked-Window1 by Scott Jon Photography, on Flickr
    Last edited by ScottJon; 10-12-2013 at 1:21am.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got the 10-24 with a d90 and it's been great, especially with such a wide focal length. If you are jumpin out of the car for things to photograph then the 24 would be much more useful than 16 to zoom past road edge framing. I'd probably go with the 14-24 for holiday fun but it might backfire on you later when you downgrade to your permanent lens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the Nikon AFS 12-24 f4 on my D90 which I really regret selling with the body now that I have a D7000. Just to put another option out there.
    Main Body D800E plus a bunch of other Nikon stuff
    "The eye sees what it wants to see and the camera sees the rest" Nick

sapiens populus eo per camelus

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Done two Europe jaunts and one was exclusively with a Tokina 12-24 F4. on a D300,
    Did not miss the long end at all - just a good all-rounder IMHO.
    Lasted till the last day in Rome when I dropped it on the tile floor.
    Insurance covered it.
    Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started with the D7000 Tokina 11-16 combo it's the go.