User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  8

Thread: Help with which camera to buy Canon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with which camera to buy Canon

Hi, I would appreciate some advice regarding a DSLR camera please. I'm interested in a variety of shots but particularly landscapes and am very interested in night/star photography. Having written that I also like taking photos of animals and plants. I am currently using my daughter's Canon 400D which came with a twin lens kit a few years ago and now I'd like to buy my own DSLR. I've been looking at either getting a second hand 60D body or a new one with lenses. I don't wan to get one with the same lenses my daughter has however. I have also looked at the Canon EOS 700D (and am leaning towards this one), comes with a 18-135mm, f3.5-5.6 lens. I've had a look at the 70D but it is too heavy for me & costs more than I can currently afford. Any ideas on which model would perform better at night please?
    Last edited by ricktas; 08-12-2013 at 7:33am.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For night photography, yes the sensor in the camera comes into play, but it is the skill of the photographer and the lens used that will result in good photos. Your daughters 400D is very capable of taking brilliant night photos, when the photographer has the knowledge on how to.

You are leaning towards the 700D already, so get that!

However you will do much better with a faster (pro) level lens so consider the glass you will buy more carefully. Kit lenses ( the 18-135mm, f3.5-5.6 lens) can take great night photos, but are more likely to not lock focus at night than a pro level lens, so if you intend on using auto-focus, consider that. Also kit lenses use less superior glass in most cases and thus a pro level lens would often be sharper, less chance of chromatic aberration etc. So in the Canon range, look for some of the white lenses (f2.8).

But night photography is not about having a specific camera and lens. The big thing (as with all good photography) is the skill of the person behind the camera. The 400D of your daughter's is very capable of producing stunning night shots, so perhaps start out now and practice and learn the skills you need. Start putting some up for CC on the forums and asking members about them and how to improve them etc. Cause buying a 'better' camera and lens will in itself not make one iota of difference to the results, unless you know what you are doing.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rick, Thank you for your feedback and advice. I have finally managed to post a photo for cc, so hopefully this is the start of more to come. Carmen

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Milopia. I'm going to disagree with Rick on this one. The 700D (like the 400D you have been using) is one of Canon's single-wheel bodies. As such, it can do most of the things a two-wheel body can do, but the speed and ease of use is way, way down. Simply, it is much easier and more convenient to have dedicated adjustment wheels for the things you are most likely to want to change (typically aperture and exposure compensation in aperture priority mode or in manual mode - which you pretty much always use for anything involving flash - aperture and shutter speed).

I have no real opinion on which of the Canon two-wheel bodies you get (60D, 70D, 7D, 6D - they are all very fine cameras, as are the older 50D, 40D, and 5D II models for that matter) but the extra usability of a two-wheeler over a one-wheeler is significant and has real photographic benefits because you learn faster and are more inclined to do things right when your tool is responsive rather than fiddly and awkward and time-consuming to adjust.

(I used to own a 400D, by the way. It took great pictures but was just too awkward and difficult to use. I got rid of it in the end.)
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't disagree with that Tony. However it is based on how we each learn. You and I have both been around photography long enough that we get set in our ways and like the two-wheel setup. But those that have not, learn a different way.

My main aim of my post was to say the 400D is a capable night photography DSLR as the OP asked this. My concern was that the OP assumed that a 'better' camera would mean easier to get good results, when really the photographer themselves is the key.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the Canons you mentioned will do the job nicely, but if you want to take night photos, of any description, factor in the cost of a good tripod too.
    Not a $50 special, but a GOOD tripod and a remote release.

I agree with Tannin re the 2 wheel cameras, and I think you can get really good deals on the 60D right now, as it will soon be phased out, and it is a very good, all-around camera.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think any of the bodies you mentioned will do a good job.

Also check out some older cameras (maybe 600D etc,) if you think you can handle a bigger body maybe a 50D (they are only $300 second hand! -I paid $1800 a few years ago and I felt it was worth it back then) saving this money you can spend more on lenses later (and you will!) I would avoid 18-135mm lens, go for a 18-55mm lens for now (one of the new ones with image stabiliser). I would also suggest putting a 50mm f/1.8 on it as well.

If you need longer focal length let us know what you are shooting and your budget and I can suggest some options. Second hand you can put together a pretty serious kit these days for about ~$1000, but depending on what you want to shoot it can be a lot less.

--- also if you ask around on forums/clubs you might be able to get some people to show you /let you try their lens to get an idea what it is like.
    Last edited by fabian628; 09-12-2013 at 11:54am.
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, Thank you all so much for your replies and advice. I realise that the photographer themselves is of primary importance to taking a good photo. I am limited at the moment by only having an 18-135mm lens and so I have decided that the best option for me is to go for a second hand camera and save my money for a couple of lenses which will meet my needs/wants at the moment and then I will practice with these for a long, long time I am now leaning towards a 60D and there are some good bargains to be had. I will look at the others mentioned too, a 50D would no doubt be great too. I have found a 60D with an 18-200mm lens for less than $500. As for focal length, I like to take photos of lots of things but am really keen on night landscapes, learning to take photos of the stars and star trails and the lens I have limits me here but I'm still trying with it, just to get practice in and have a go until I can afford to buy a lens or two. Once again thank you all so very much.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't think that photo had loaded. I was just trying to post it as an example of the sort of photos I've been practicing. I like day time photography too. I hope this isn't in the wrong place here, Carmen
    Attached Images Attached Images

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I mean I only have an 18-55mm lens!

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The 60D will do what you want for now. I also consider two dials useful for any type of photography. Get the best lens you can afford.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have to agree with others that the bodies will be fine either way. Keep an eye out for quality 2nd hand lenses that fit your budget, and a decent tripod.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Mark and beardedcamera, I've bought a 60D and will definitely get a good tripod, the one I have keeps falling apart on me. I'm already on the look out for second hand lenses & will practice more with the ones I have ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do your home work on the lenses before buying. I have seen some shops on line asking twice what others do.
    Also if looking at the usual ebay or similar second hand sites, their prices are often not much less than a grey import or other new lens on special etc.

there are some sites under the sponsor button at the top of the page. i have brought from some of them.

Basically just wanted to say look into the lenses your interested in and shop around.

and google 60Da ( atro model )
    Last edited by Allan Ryan; 31-12-2013 at 5:46pm.
    50D, 50 f/1.8, 24-105L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS 11, Understanding Wife
    Photos - Panoramio - Flickr -

A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams. - John Barrymore -