Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: "Colour adjustments"

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Colour adjustments"

I have just been away on a trip to Tassie.

Took some nice images of Cradle Mountain.

The two images are an example of what I took and what I get after a "colour adjustment".

I accept the adjusted one does look better.

However, I don't really want to have to sit down and do all of them myself - manually.

The second one is the modified one, just to be clear.

I used IRFANVIEW to do it and am happy enough with its results.

But I can't find a way to do it for all the pictures in a directory.

Sure there are "bigger and better" programs out there, but they cost $$$$, which I don't have to spare.

I'd appreciate a bit of help.

I tried posting in the
    New to Photography CC (Beginners) area, but wasn't allowed to.
    (Go figure)

Anyone?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure about processing of all your new photos in the one go you may end up with an unacceptable finish, but you should have received free canon software which I thought would have been quite reasonable.

I have a Nikon and the free Nikon software available for that is quite capable and at least on par with canon I would have thought.
    I have found that I only end up doing minor adjustments on the images I think are worth keeping and the basics only take a minute or so, but to do every shot I take no way most will be deleted unless of something specific that I may never get again. but others may be able to help
    Nikon, D750, D5000, 35mm f/1.8, 18-55mm & 55-200mm kit lens,
    Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, Sigma 120-400mm, Sigma 150-600S, SB-910, Metz mecablitz 58 AF-2
    Manfrotto 680B Mono + 234RC tilt, 055XPROB + 804RC2.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks.

I probably have.

It is just I only "recently" had to rebuild my machine. PAINFUL!

As I don't use those programs that much, I don't really know what they do. But I do use IRFANVIEW a bit, and was mucking about with it.

I shall dig around and see if I can find the CD which came with it and install the software.

Bye for now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't have the CD I would think it should be available as a free download including any updates.

Also have a look in the AP library Tutorials there may be some things in there that will also help with learning about the various processes.

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run Irfanview v4.00 (which is probably pretty old?) and it has a batch process facility, although it looks a bit 'kludgy'. (I've never used the batch processing).

- in the File menu select Batch conversion / Rename...
    - the Batch conversion window opens that allows you to select which files to process, output directory, output format, etc
    - at bottom-left there is a checkbox Use advanced options - select it
    - the Set advanced options button (just under the checkbox) will become active - click it
    - this will open the Settings for all images: window which allows you to use auto-adjust, or set various parameters manually and these will be applied to every file
    - you can save the settings to a file and reload later if desired

Make sure you have a backup copy of all your files before doing any batch processing.

Hope this helps...

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillum View Post
    - at bottom-left there is a checkbox Use advanced options - select it
    - the Set advanced options button (just under the checkbox) will become active - click it
    I've got v4.36. To get to where Phil was taking you is now (instead of above),
    -second box at top right is Batch conversion setting. Tick advanced option and select it.
    -this will take you to the Settings for all images.

Of cause more up to date versions may have changed again.

If what you find on your Nikon discs is anything like what's on my Canon ones, you just need to process one photo. Copy that recipe (changes you made), select all other photos and paste that recipe. Then convert and save as a batch.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ROA44 View Post
    ....... but you should have received free canon software which I thought would have been quite reasonable.

Canon software will not help much in this instance.

Image is captured with a Nikon Coolpix(S8000), and hence (most likely) jpg. So with hat file format any software will provide good quality editing ability.

Some (other)free software to consider = Picasa, Paint dot net, FSViewer, (and others, that no one has the time to mention them all).

From personal experience FSViewer has a good batch editing ability.

One tip I will give you tho, for the easiest batch editing capability(that even my kids can get right!!)

ViewNX2 (google it and download it)

Set the software up so that it displays a film strip along the bottom edge of the screen. This film strip is for your image icons.
    For processing multiple images in this software, simply select the image icons in the film strip, holding the Ctrl key as you select each image.

Then, on the RHS is the Adjustments pane. Using this area to set any adjustments to the images .. colour, contrast, brightness .... etc.
    Once you have set the adjustments you want, simply click save.
    All the highlighted(selected) images will receive the treatment adjustments made on the RHS pane.

Can't get it more simple than that.

But as already said, adjusting images in this manner is not ideal(unless you know what you are doing!).
    Most images tend to require individual processing steps ..

But if this info helps you get through to the final outcome you desire then all is good.
    Last edited by arthurking83; 29-11-2013 at 10:05pm.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    -second box at top right is Batch conversion setting.
    mmmm, sorry, should be second box at top left.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll also add that you may not find batch conversions with the same colour/WB/saturation/curve etc. adjustments very appropriate unless they were all shot under very similar conditions. Especially if you're making significant adjustments to the first photo and expecting the entire batch needs the same PP.
    Arguably if you were after one set of adjustments for all your photos, it would've been far simpler to set up your in-camera jpeg parameters that way. Of course this is now after the fact but before your next shoot, it might save you a lot of time by tuning your in-camera jpeg settings to something more desirable for your eye.
    I'm assuming that you shoot jpegs of course.
    If you shoot RAW, then PP is part and parcel of the workflow. FWIW I always PP individual photos but I only select about 1/5 of my photos to PP usually and I don't shoot a huge quantity to begin with.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com