Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: New camera bag configuration

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New camera bag configuration

Hi all,

I have a question which may turn out not to be a question at all--but I am a newbie, so I will ask anyway. I just purchased a Lowepro Nova 190AW. There appear to be many different ways to configure the bag with all of it's dividers and pockets. The basic gear I have is: Nikon D-5000, 18mm - 55mm standard lens, 55mm - 200mm zoom lens plus normal charger, extra battery, memory cards, etc. I have seen configurations such as body w/ lens off; body with lens on horizontal placement, body with lens on lens up placement and so forth. What I am looking for are thoughts, pictures or perhaps videos of ways to configure this bag to make it most efficient for regular everyday use.

I am sure that the way each photographer configures his/her bag is mostly subjective because we all have different wants/needs/peeves. But, hopefully I can get a few replies that will give me different ideas I will be extremely appreciative.

On the other hand, if this question is a non-starter--please let me know that too.

BTW, I have only been on here for one day, but the response and support have been terrific. Thanks all!!!

BobK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, Bob. As you said this is a very individualized thing. One of the nice things about being able to move the dividers is that you can try different things until you land on what works best for you. Generally speaking, I'd recommend setting it up to accommodate leaving the lens you use most on the camera. With the kit you described you can probably set it up so that either lens can be left on the camera and still fit in the bag. I use a lot of long lenses so configure mine for horizontal placement in the bag.

Another thing you may want to think about. I used to keep ALL of my gear in the bag all the time. That meant carrying it all everywhere, all the time. As my kit grew I couldn't do that. Then I would get frustrated because I'd go on a shoot and something I needed wouldn't be in the bag. So now what I do is to not keep anything in the bag. I've got a spot at home where I keep all my gear on closet shelves. Then when I'm headed out to shoot, I load the bag with what I'm going to need. It saves frustration of forgetting stuff and saves carrying a bunch of stuff you don't need all the time.

Good luck.
    Last edited by NorthernFocus; 27-12-2013 at 4:50am.
    Regards,
    Dan
    "I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am..."
    Visit my galleries at Northern Focus Photography
    or my Alaska Galleries

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yep, individual thing. Configure it so those things you use most are easiest to access. For instance I have my camera with a wide angle lens on it as the default most times, and I have that in my bag so that I do not have to unizip it completely to get the camera out. There is also consideration to weight distribution, cause if you are going to be carrying the bag while walking any decent distance, a good balance of weight distribution makes it more comfortable to lug around.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi BobK,
    Cambags.Com is one review site where people often post their packing configurations as well.
    http://www.cambags.com/bag-type/shou...va-190-aw.html
    Or taschenfreak, in German but easily translated (and usually just look at the pics anyway).
    http://www.taschenfreak.de/TASCHEN/L...90AW/index.htm
    If all else fails just do a Google image search..

Cheers
    John