Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: New Computer for photography purposes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Computer for photography purposes

Hi,

My current laptop is getting old and slow and needs to be retired at to green pastures...

From a photography point of view, what should I be looking at in a new laptop? I want to make sure it is going to cope with such demands as photography.

Muzza

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Laptops generally use cheap screen technology to keep the price down, and thus are not a good choice for photo editing.

This should give you some food for thought on what screen your laptop needs: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...-photo-editing

Laptops traditionally also do not have huge RAM and high end graphics capability, so whatever you choose you will be compromising in some part of the system.

However, I would not be looking at the sub $1000 range at all
    Last edited by ricktas; 27-11-2013 at 10:05pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im also in the same boat and would love to get my kids off this computer. Ive been looking at the little macbook pro etc around the $12-1500 range, are these screens also poor compared to my table top mac or would I be better off getting another imac. ? Im not trying to put anyone on the spot just wondering which you thought may be better, Im leaning a bit more toward a second imac.
    Cheers Jon

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ricktas. Thanks for the great info. I didn't really know there was much difference between monitor types. Now I know. This explains why when I look at my current screen on my laptop from different angles, I start to loose the image as it goes like a negative or completely black or white. So I have to adjust the angle all the time.

So I have now decided to get a desktop instead. I am looking at a HP Envy Recline 23-K001A. This has a 23 inch IPS screen. I had to do a bit of research to find out the screen type from HP as the seller web ads don't display that info. The computer also has the latest Intel processor with 2.5 to 3.7 GH and 16GB RAM with 1TB HD. The graphics card is nVIDIA 1GB dedicated. I am guessing this should be all good then. I have found this for $1700.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dont know how technically minded u are ( not that its difficult ) have you thought ov building your own pc? it can work out a little cheaper , BUT you can build it to YOUR specs..RAM, HDD monitor, processor, graphics card etc.. have a look at some of the computer stores that sell components , flea bay and gum tree.
    long live

http://www.birdphotographyworkshops.com.au

Canon R7, and a lot of other bits and bobs

Ausphotography Regular wideangle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzza View Post
    So I have now decided to get a desktop instead. I am looking at a HP Envy Recline 23-K001A. This has a 23 inch IPS screen. I had to do a bit of research to find out the screen type from HP as the seller web ads don't display that info. The computer also has the latest Intel processor with 2.5 to 3.7 GH and 16GB RAM with 1TB HD. The graphics card is nVIDIA 1GB dedicated. I am guessing this should be all good then. I have found this for $1700.

A desktop computer will provide you with more bang for buck in comparison to what you would need to spend on a laptop of the same quality. I would agree with other comments here in regards to doing a "build yourself" computer. If you don't feel comfortable doing this then you can always get a computer shop to do the build for you.
    please ask before PP my images

"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans"