Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Canon ixus 255 or sx280

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canon ixus 255 or sx280

Hi,

I am after a budget camera,which has the best image quality in daylight and low light (ixus 255 or sx 280). Also which has panorama functions .

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Steve

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Steve, are you asking our opinion on your chosen two, as to which is better, or are you trying to see if someone on the site has one for sale?
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Hi Steve, are you asking our opinion on your chosen two, as to which is better, or are you trying to see if someone on the site has one for sale?
    Hi,

No I am asking for an oppinion as they are both are well priced at the moment, christmas sales.

Cheers

Steve

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The low light performance of these two seems to switch back and forth as to which is best depending on who is reviewing it. Some say the 255 is better and others say the 280. Ultimately they both offer the same physical sized sensor 6.17 x 4.55 mm with the same pixel dimensions 4000 x 3000 and the same sensor type. So it may be that the actual sensor is exactly the same on both models so the low light performance should be about equal. The reviews would suggest that this is also possible where reviewers are trying to pick a 'winner' and thus decide that one is better than the other, with differing reviewers coming up with one or the other as the better performer. There is not clear cut winner.

So based on your choice of one over the other of these two, it would seem it will come down to your own personal choice. As it appears that is it most likely the exact same sensor hardware, the results in daylight would be similar across the two as well.

There are reports of a battery issue with the 280 by some users., though not all. So the 255 might be your best choice.

Ultimately for low light performance that was outstanding, you would need to consider a camera with a much bigger physical sized sensor. A 12mp compact cannot compete in low light against an APS or FF sized sensor. Getting light to each pixelsite on the sensor is easier to do when the pixelsites are physically bigger. But budget constraint may limit you to your current two options, and thus based on the above, I would pick the 255..only as it doesn't appear to have the reported battery issue that some of the 280 users have experienced.
    Last edited by ricktas; 21-11-2013 at 10:58pm.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The low light performance of these two seems to switch back and forth as to which is best depending on who is reviewing it. Some say the 255 is better and others say the 280. Ultimately they both offer the same physical sized sensor 6.17 x 4.55 mm with the same pixel dimensions 4000 x 3000 and the same sensor type. So it may be that the actual sensor is exactly the same on both models so the low light performance should be about equal. The reviews would suggest that this is also possible where reviewers are trying to pick a 'winner' and thus decide that one is better than the other, with differing reviewers coming up with one or the other as the better performer. There is not clear cut winner.

So based on your choice of one over the other of these two, it would seem it will come down to your own personal choice. As it appears that is it most likely the exact same sensor hardware, the results in daylight would be similar across the two as well.

There are reports of a battery issue with the 280 by some users., though not all. So the 255 might be your best choice.

Ultimately for low light performance that was outstanding, you would need to consider a camera with a much bigger physical sized sensor. A 12mp compact cannot compete in low light against an APS or FF sized sensor. Getting light to each pixelsite on the sensor is easier to do when the pixelsites are physically bigger. But budget constraint may limit you to your current two options, and thus based on the above, I would pick the 255..only as it doesn't appear to have the reported battery issue that some of the 280 users have experienced.
    Hi,
    Thanks for the helpful reply. One thing I looked at the specs the maximum time to record on video is only 10 mins (ixus 255) whereas its 30 mins with the sx 280. Its based on 4GB card, I am wondering whether it would record longer on a 8 GB card or is 10mins the maximum time.
    Cheers
    Steve.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You might have to go to the Canon site and download the user manuals for both Steve, to get an answer re video record times as that is probably the best way to find out specifics about camera operation.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might have to go to the Canon site and download the user manuals for both Steve, to get an answer re video record times as that is probably the best way to find out specifics about camera operation.
    Thanks, I contacted canon and it took them awhile to clarify, 10 mins on 4GB at FHD video recording. I bought the canon ixus 255 and it has great image quality for such a small camera.
    Cheers
    Steve.