Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  17
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 2014 Members Challenge : your weekly theme input needed

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The 2014 Members Challenge : your weekly theme input needed

As we progress toward the end of 2013, I and the mods have been working behind the scenes on the 2014 competition/challenge plans

As announced previously, the 2014 Photo of the Week themes are going to be photographic genre based, and we also said we were going to tie the member challenges into the competition themes. So what will happen in 2014 will be, for example. Sport will be one of the Photo of the Week themes. A couple of week's before that competition starts, the member challenge will be Sport. This will give those who do not generally shoot Sport the chance to practice and then get some feedback, before the competition starts.

Interspersed between these photo of the week themes will be Open (non themed) competitions.

We now have created the Photo of the Week themes order for 2014, and thus we have some of the Member Challenge themes. However the weeks we have an Open Photo of the Week, we need some themes for the Member Challenge.

Therefore, I am asking you, the members; Please use this thread to list some ideas for themes that we could use for the 'off-genre' member challenge weeks. We will then choose a selection of ideas to add to the 2014 weekly members challenges.

We had thought to do some based on camera functions, if you like that idea (shutter speed over 1/1000th second, shutter speed slower than 1 second, High ISO (over 6400) etc. So feel free to suggest ideas along those lines, but we are open to all suggestions.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Camera functions sounds good Rick. It would get us out of our comfort zones.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shooting only at 50mm, or wider/longer.

I shoot with Canon And Olympus Cameras

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    Shooting only at 50mm, or wider/longer.
    each year, for week 50 we have had a 50mm theme for POTW, so that is likely to be included already.
    Last edited by ricktas; 10-11-2013 at 2:15pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Photo comp

Rick am wondering if there is an adapted lens week of different focal lengths with the numerous lens adapters available.On a less serious note I met a guy who photographed a garden gnome he borrowed and took it with him on a world trip and sent the owner postcards of the gnome on famous locations including Ayers Rock and seemed to have started a bit of a fad he claimed ,and the gnome arrived home in one piece regards nick.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Cliff View Post
    Rick am wondering if there is an adapted lens week of different focal lengths with the numerous lens adapters available.On a less serious note I met a guy who photographed a garden gnome he borrowed and took it with him on a world trip and sent the owner postcards of the gnome on famous locations including Ayers Rock and seemed to have started a bit of a fad he claimed ,and the gnome arrived home in one piece regards nick.
    I am really not sure what this has to do with the topic under discussion?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the ideas of the camera setting challenges Rick. How about adding one for flash?
    Hi! I'm Bill.

Constructive critique on photos and suggestions and tips for editing is most welcome.
    Nikon D5100, D7000, Nikon 35mm, Nikon 50mm, Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 17-50mm, Nikon 18-135mm, Nikon 18-200mm, Nikon 55-300mm, Tamron 70-300mm
    SB-700 Speedlight, Manfrotto MKC3-H01

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ' Movement' - ( not added in pp. ).
    Constructive critique of my photos is welcome and appreciated.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Include part of self in photo,
    then, include part of self in photo,
    then, .......

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant mongo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    best macro with non macro lens. That is pushing equipment, settings and photographer to pull a good result out of a box that was not really meant for that purpose. Of course, full details of equipment , settings technique will have to be given by the winners
    Nikon and Pentax user

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think thats a great idea, as already stated would really take us out of our comfort zone. Also think would help to learn the camera and its capability more.
    think Mary-Anne's, bill's and mango's suggestions are good ones.
    I would suggest time lapse, but not really sure if all cameras have that function.
    Have an object that got click when i press a button!
    My Flickr

Psst... The name is "David"

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you think taking people out of their comfort zone will encourage them (especially beginners) to get and stay involved in the members challenge?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would it not be the same encouragement that is what is giving a lot already on this site, "put it in manual mode". I think personal it seems like a expansion on that advice, plus you will learn a new feature about your camera and even see what potential it really has with other doing that same thing.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mongo Winners what Winners its a Weekly Challenge.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Do you think taking people out of their comfort zone will encourage them (especially beginners) to get and stay involved in the members challenge?
    We could add a 'blurb' at the top of each challenge that is camera function related on how that function works, how to use it etc. The idea behind the entire 2014 challenge/POTW is to help people learn and then see them give the competitions a go from what they have learned. If people choose not to participate, then that is their choice, however we hope to encourage people to learn new skills..and possibly win a comp using them.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the best competitions ever ran on this site was one from about 3 years ago. The theme was "advertising". From memory, an image promoting Bushells tea bags won it.
    I would like to see this ran again. But maybe with a restriction of products. Something like... advertising laundry products, or something found in a bathroom. Or even something found in our home office (Computer room)

Just a thought????
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since this is what this thread is about, I'd like to see you to get involved in next years weekly challenge Geoff.

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [I seem to only last about 3 weeks on these challenges so you might want to assign a weighting of 6% to this post ]

Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    We had thought to do some based on camera functions, if you like that idea (shutter speed over 1/1000th second, shutter speed slower than 1 second, High ISO (over 6400) etc.
    I think it's good to set challenges that get members to better understand their equipment, but I don't think the best way to do it is by defining the challenges as camera settings. It's kind of providing the 'solution' and having members look for the 'problem' rather than the other way around (if that makes sense). For example, I could just go and shoot the same building for each of the three settings you've mentioned. I think it's a better learning exercise if you define the challenge as a photographic 'problem' and let members work out how to deal with it. So for your 3 examples we could have something like "freeze motion", "show motion" and "low-light hand-held", etc, which would hopefully lead members to using their camera in the appropriate manner. Obviously there are often alternative ways to deal with these situations but that also adds to the learning process.

Cheers.
    Last edited by fillum; 12-11-2013 at 12:52am.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Light. Sunlight, moonlight, artificial light, low-light, light beer, speedlight, colored light, point-light, backlight, studio-light, floodlight, you name it. Because, isn't "light" what makes photography possible?

Or... McGyver. Challenge members to be creative to get that shot...
    Last edited by jev; 12-11-2013 at 12:59am.
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Fotonut
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the camera function themes. It generally allows a wide range of subject matter and creativity
    Brian
    Aspire to Inspire before you Expire

Gear : Nikon D3100; Nikkor 18-55 mm, Nikkor 55 - 300mm, Sigma "Bigma" 50 - 500 and a heap of Enthusiasm
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/beeps44/
    http://500px.com/beeps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast