Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nikon d800 advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nikon d800 advice

have been using the d800 for a month but have found that I have not been getting sharp images. Have tried shooting with faster shutter speeds (1/200 and above) handheld, but sharpness is inconsistent. Any advice?
    Last edited by torro; 09-11-2013 at 9:41am.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There could be plenty. Post up some shots with EXIF data intact and we can see and (possibly probably) tell.
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Advice: Post some photos to the CC forums, with EXIF in-tact and let us take a look, and while you are in the CC forums, give some CC to other members too.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Photo Bizarro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others have said, it could be many reasons.. however, the D800 has been known to have some focussing issues which some people on this forum will be able to elaborate on.
    My name is John.
    www.jrfraser.com

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As it's been only a month, and Nikon have finally resolved the AF issues, this is more unlikely to be the issue.
    Not impossible, and it could be that yours may have the issue too, but the original AF issue has now been resolved.

List your lenses too(or lens used).

Lenses that may have appeared sharp on any previous cameras don't necessarily fall into line on the D800!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use vr on if your shooting at anything under 500/sec you must have a steady hand with this beast it takes some work you have 36 megs so try a shot on tripod to see if that is better. also if you know someone close with the same camera try there lens. after 1 year mine for some reason went out of focus I sent it away and now its all good. You will need to sharpen you shots a little when processing your pics.
    Cheers Mike have a look at my shots in the bird forum or my flicker site.
    Cheers Mike
    A photograph is usually looked at - seldom looked into. ~Ansel Adams
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeschurmann/

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the basic shutter speed to be used for blur free images isn't as fixed as 1/500s.
    That's a bit extreme when using a 24mm lens!

Just keep it to a minimum 1/focal length at least .. and maybe just a touch faster if you're still having issues.

I just did a quick test/play and can get 1/20s-1/15s and sharp shots from the 24-70VC @ 70mm, with the VC on, but it goes to mush at 1/10s and below(zero sharp images out of 6 shot).

image stabilisation is a feature to have high up on your list of usage or next purchases with the D800.

if on tripod and images are still blurry, could be either an inadequate support setup, incorrect usage in some way, or just plain ol mirror slap.

Even with all this, I think the lens used(for these unsharp images) needs to be a priority in any further discussion.

if the lens is a Nikon 24-70/2.8, then technique is going to be your problem. This lens is stellar in it's image rendering ability.
    if the lens is a Kipon 1000mm f/11 'drain pipe', then no matter your technique and support gear .. your images will be pretty much unsharp!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i found that when shooting at anything under 1/60 using MLU was a must for pixel sharpness with the D800..as mine is prone to Mirror slap ..this is on a pretty decent tripod and head ...

also are you shooting Raw ...if so D800 files can be improved with a good dose of sharpening in PP.

your post says that you are shooting at 1/200 and above...As Rick has said, post these images for CC so we can see what you are on about
    Cheers and my name is Steve

OMD Em1...Now with two lenses !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_tompsett/
    http://tommo.smugmug.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What lens are they using? do you know it is a 24mm lens I have not seen any pics yet !@ best try a tripod with shutter release or timer don't worry about mirror slap its almost crap!!
    Last edited by Bintryin; 10-11-2013 at 2:03am.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think until we hear back from the OP, with some photos, then we are not really able to solve their problem. To many reasons, and not enough information.

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeing as the OP is in Sydney, I may be able to meet him/her and assist them with their problems, or at least see what the issue may be.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by torro View Post
    have been using the d800 for a month but have found that I have not been getting sharp images. Have tried shooting with faster shutter speeds (1/200 and above) handheld, but sharpness is inconsistent. Any advice?
    Thanks for everyone's advice. Spent today shooting with 24-70 and am happy with sharpness. Problem was me not the camera.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by torro View Post
    Thanks for everyone's advice. Spent today shooting with 24-70 and am happy with sharpness. Problem was me not the camera.
    So what was causing it? Posting details of what caused it might help other members. After all, you got plenty offering ideas etc in this thread. Hope also that we actually get to see some of your photos soon and you giving some other members help/CC as well.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    So what was causing it? Posting details of what caused it might help other members. After all, you got plenty offering ideas etc in this thread. Hope also that we actually get to see some of your photos soon and you giving some other members help/CC as well.
    - - - Updated - - -

Sharpness was improved by holding camera steady and digging elbows into ribs. As well, just spending time using the camera and understanding that it's a more demanding camera to use then the d700.
    Last edited by torro; 10-11-2013 at 6:03pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    steady eddie is the go with this unforgiving beast ...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo1965 View Post
    steady eddie is the go with this unforgiving beast ...

that plus VR/VC/OS/any other stabilization type ... makes a hell of a difference for consistently sharp pics.

Strange thing is tho, while the D800 has a higher Mp count than the D7100 does(as well as the D5200 and now D5300) .. you hardly hear of similar issues with those three cameras, even tho the pixel density is higher than it is on a D800.

I have read of a few people having issues with sharpness on D7100's with a need to rejig their technique, but more so from D800 owners.
    I would have thought that the problem would have been doubly manifest on a D7100/D5300/D5200 ... especially considering the narrower FOV for a given focal length.

All lines lead to Home ...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any pics of the not so sharp images?
    Regards,
    Phil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is that the res is so high, that small movements are more visible when you look closely at the images. Viewing the whole image, you probably won't notice it.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just returned from China, pleased with images and detail. Secret is shooting with shutter speed in mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast