User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: View NX2 (2)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

View NX2 (2)

Since downloading NX2 on this new computer and downloading photos from my D3100, all the photos have a small red square in the middle of it, and D...JPG underneath the photo. I have searched through the help section and have not been able to find anything about it. The red square disappears if the photo is downloaded to another source. Any help will be appreciated

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The red square is the focus point. If you look across the menu bar you'll see a symbol like square brackets with "Focus Point" written underneath it - just click it to toggle on or off. (It's just showing where the focus was - it's not actually on the image.)

The "D...JPG" is probably the file name but has been abbreviated ( "..." ) because of space. My version has thumbnail images across the bottom of other files in the same directory with things like "b...s.jpg" (abbreviated from "ball_in_grass.jpg") written underneath them.

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Phil said, the focus square has an on/off toggle button in the toolbar(should be the 5th icon from the far left in the upper toolbar).

Quote Originally Posted by tasherlock View Post
    ...... and D...JPG underneath the photo. I have searched through the help section and have not been able to find anything about it. The red square disappears if the photo is downloaded to another source. Any help will be appreciated
    If you're referring to the filmstrip in viewer mode .. this can be made large or small. Just (click and)drag the spacer bar higher up to make the thumbnails larger to see the entire filename.
    I leave them as small as possible, as the full file name is also displayed immediately above the image anyhow.

One small tip that may help a bit too.(assuming that you're shooting raw file type)
    Just to the left of the file name, just above the image preview area is a small box marked RAW. If this is highlighted in an orange/yellow box, it means you are viewing that actual raw file/data itself.
    Sometimes with many edits made to the image, this can slow down viewing of images in quick succession.
    If you click this RAW marker and hence change the colour of the box to grey, you are then viewing the jpg preview file instead.

viewing the raw data is slower, but (technically displays a more accurate rendering of the file)
    viewing the jpg preview file will make it quicker to flick through a vast amount of images, but is supposedly rendering an inferior jpg image on screen.

99.9% of the time, you will not notice this .. but you will notice the performance hit if you try to view hundreds of images quickly.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It suddenly hit me when I saw Focus Point on the program. Thanks for your interest in helping out.