Thread: Inserting music onto Youtube

All lines lead to Home ...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inserting music onto Youtube

Hi All,

If I was going to create a video, lets say something using GoPro. Once I have finished copying it over to the computer HDD and edited the colours and all. If I wanted to insert a music track onto the video and then want to upload it onto youtube, what type of music am I allowed to insert and upload? Im talking from a legal perspective.

The reason why I ask this is because I have seen many videos on YT that have the sound muted because the track used in the video was not licensed or something along those lines.

So I just want to know if I own a CD and then rip it into MP3 or whatever format, can I insert it into the video to upload?
    Regards,
    Phil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try this site http://dig.ccmixter.org

Nice range of stuff. Respect the conditions.
    Gear monkey and proud. Brisbane.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Basically all music is created (written, played, sung) by someone, and they own copyright, just the same as we own copyright to our photos. So using current (or past) chart toppers is probably the quickest way to get the sound or your video removed.

But as linked by strictfunctor, there are sites where people put music that you can use, with conditions.

So if you own a CD, you own a copy of the music for private domestic use, and you cannot rip the song and use it on youtube etc.
    Last edited by ricktas; 03-11-2013 at 8:00am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

All lines lead to Home ...
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies guys. That URL posted up has some pretty good tunes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Phil - now that our everlook section is getting a lot more views, I've also started looking at free share music
    There is a lot of great stuff out there - I just have to get home to send you the link to a great site I also found
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have placed a number of audio visual productions on YouTube, and I have found that their software for identifying copyright music is quite remarkable. With minutes of posting, the sound track has been identified, even to the point of identifying the owner of the copyright.

However, I believe YouTube has taken a more pragmatic, common sense approach to what they do about it. They realise that we are not making money, we are not using these sound tracks for commercial gain, and if required to pay copyright then we simply would not be using the tracks at all. There are millions of people using copyrighted music in what I would describe as an innocent way without exploiting the copyright holder.

So ..... what YouTube does, is to leave the clip on YouTube, but to add a link to the copyright holder and identify the music concerned. They also place adverts on your clip. This means that potentially, the copyright holder and YouTube can both collect from each of those millions of "illegal" videos in what is a win-win situation.

Rather than just deleting the videos, which benefits no-one, they at least stand a chance of both making a profit off the back of your A/V. This appears to be the common sense approach, and long may it continue in an increasingly litigious world.

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive been putting things on youtube for a while now and have had no dramas using any of the thousands of free music tracks youtube provide. If I decide I would like rock music to go with a 6.45 clip I look for rock music that length and have always been surprised what ive managed to find. If you use a mac you could always try making your own in garage band.
    Jon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll have to check out the link that Strictfunctor posted. I havent tried posting many of my GoPro creations on YouTube but when I have they havent even gone online before they're knocked back due to music copyright. Free open source music sounds cool to me :-)

- - - Updated - - -

Whooot Whooot, look at that, it actually works. I get really jack of going to sites that promise open source stuff only to find it hidden behind multiple downloads, add ons or just outright BS. I just popped over and bang, a couple of clicks and I've got a track on my PC to use as I please. Cheers Strictfunctor