Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Suggestions for Wide Angle for D90

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Suggestions for Wide Angle for D90

Hi all, am looking for a new lens for my D90 APS-C camera
    Would like some recommendations from you guys as I want to be able to photograph some landscape, large group/wedding situations.
    Do I need to worry about zoom ability?
    Budget is a consideration atm, unfortuantely...
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks in advance

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a budget, the Nikkor 18-55mm zoom is a good lens for what you will use it for. I know it's only a DX kit lens, but mine has been solid and reliable with pretty good IQ and you won't beat it at the price. After that you could look at the Sigma range. They have represent good quality for the price and are well supported. In generic terms, you'll need around 17-18mm at the wide end for landscapes and 35-50mm for portraits. I hope that helps.
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sigma 10-20 for the wide angle, then save up for the portrait lens. Different genre, different lenses.
    Last edited by ricktas; 02-11-2013 at 10:13am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be careful with what are called "ultrawide" lenses. These have focal lengths starting bout 8mm and up to about 12mm.
    If you use these for large group shots, be aware that they do distort to the extent where people near the edges will look a bit "stretched".
    I have the experience of using the Σ8-16. It's OK and not noticeable in landscapes, but edge-dwelling people start to look like those on
    un-adjusted wide-screen TVs in shops.

However, this effect can be adjusted in post-processing (that's PP from now on).

Sounds like the 18-50 cited above, or maybe a 17-70, is the go. It won't be the w-i-d-est, but still not bad.

Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just updated my lens listing... Oops, didn't realise I hadn't added my 90mm Macro ...

Was just reading about the
    Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X 116 Pro DX
    . Anyone had any experience with this lens?

Photo Bizarro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaibeau View Post
    Was just reading about the
    Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X 116 Pro DX
    . Anyone had any experience with this lens?
    I would highly recommend this lens. It is absolutely excellent for its price point, the IQ is top notch. I also use a D90 and the Tokina stays on almost permanently these days for landscapes/architectural type shots. I have the first version of this lens, rather than the new version that was released fairly recently. From what I understand, there is bugger-all difference in the new model, so I'd save a few bucks and go for the old one.

However, I would reiterate Am's comments regarding wide angle distortion. You need to be quite careful taking people shots with wide angle lenses, as it can easy to make peoples' faces look quite funny if they're near the edge of the frame. Perhaps this doesn't bother you, but it's just something to keep in mind.
    My name is John.
    www.jrfraser.com

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone.... think this is the one then
    Now I just need one in a hurry

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have the Tokina - excellent lens and like John have the older version which will AF on your D90. The bonus of the f2.8 makes it great for interior shots. I've never used it for groups of people, only landscapes and architecture, but imagine distortion of the people on the edges would be a problem.
    Glenda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sigma 10-20mm for me on a D7000. Fantastic lens for the price. I do sometimes find that its autofocus is a little inconsistent in dim light, but not worryingly so.

Andrew.
    https://forkandfoot.com

Nikon D7000
    Sigma 10-20mm ~ Nikon 18-55mm ~ Nikon 55-200mm ~ Manfrotto 190XProB ~ Manfrotto 488RC2
    ~ LowePro Top Load Zoom 1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    H Kaibeau.

I acquired the Tokina 11-16 a couple of years ago and use it on a D90. I like the lens and use it for landscapes. However, as mentioned in other replies, there is a degree of distortion which is very noticable at 11mm - especially if there are streight edges at the sides. At 16 it is ok. Also as mentioned, it can be corrected with PP. I use Photoshop. But getting photoshop or similar editing package is gonig to cost. The Tokina is also going to cost.

Reviews on the 18-55 VR DX are very good and you will find the online auction prices very attractive. I noticed in your profile you don't have anything wide in the DX range. On a budget I would go for this lens.

I recently off-loaded my DX lenes (except for the Tokina) and replaced with FX as my next camera upgrade will be to FX. I can also use them on the F80. If I find I am lacking in the general wide range I will probably look at getting the 18-55 DX. Hopefully taking a few steps back will resolve that problem.

Hope that helps.
    dm fotos
    My Flickr Link
    Nikon gear - the one with iconic branding