User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Opportunity to purchase New Gear

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Opportunity to purchase New Gear

The Last few months haven't allowed for much time to get out with the camera, due to my sisters illness and even less since her passing away a few weeks ago, but I hope that as things get sorted out I'll soon be able to start taking photos and also get to spend some time reading S/Kelbys' L/r 4 learning L/room.

Although this will now allow me the opportunity at purchasing some new gear, but now without the same excitement & enjoyment.
    EG. Flash, filters and the more difficult choice lenses.

Hence the post. I have the D5000 which I have been quite happy with and at this point I'm not sure I'll worry about upgrading to F/F or as nice as it might be the new D7100 does look tempting.

The big question is lenses. I use mainly the Sigma 120-400 (probably sell) and occasionally the 35mm 1.8 and have the 2 kit lenses which I hardly touch. I'm considering.

1. Portait Lens, Nikkor AF-S 85mm f/1.8G or 105mmf/ 2.8.

2. Wildlife lens, Sigma 150-500mm or Nikkor AF-S 200f/2, 70-200 f/2.8 + T/C

3. general purpose zoom eg f/2.8 ? for when just going out for the day still looking at options

4. thinking about wide angle lens might hold off for a bit ?????

Just starting to look at other brand options.

So these are my current thoughts and want to set up for the long term with out having to re-purchase others unless to move into a dedicated field but not looking to do so at this point, but if I did buy a F/F have I strictly speaking cut my self short or will they still perform well.

Thank you for your thoughts
    Last edited by ROA44; 31-10-2013 at 11:10am.
    Nikon, D750, D5000, 35mm f/1.8, 18-55mm & 55-200mm kit lens,
    Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, Sigma 120-400mm, Sigma 150-600S, SB-910, Metz mecablitz 58 AF-2
    Manfrotto 680B Mono + 234RC tilt, 055XPROB + 804RC2.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From scratch ?

24MP camera ... ( For me the K3 )
    Lenses - What do you shoot a lot ?
    If you buy a quality ? 18-70 or 18-105 or 18-135 , you could almost live with that one lens ?
    And if you top it of with a wildlife lens ( 150 - 500 ) you have almost everything covered ..

A good prime lens is hard to go past , I would not go over 100mm , 50mm may not be enough , perhaps split the difference ? 70 to 80mm Prime

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without being brand specific:

• Go full frame - you will not regret it.
    • Portrait - I love the 70-200 f2.8 for this
    • Wildlife - I have a Sigma 50 - 500 and a Canon 100 - 400. Both are good at what they do. The 70 - 200/2.8 + T/C is a good option and it covers the portrait option as well so saves you having to buy 2 lenses. Sure it is a compromise but work on your stalking skills and get closer - that always gets better pictures.
    • General purpose - 24 - 105 will fit the bill. Do you really need a 2.8 for a walk around? save some coin, get an f4 and put the savings to the FF body or better long glass.
    • Wide - depends if you go FF or not. Maybe hold off until you decide what will fill your main bucket list and then see if you feel there is a gap.

Of course brand is simply a preference thing so go hold them all, play with the knobs and dials and see which ones feel right. I honestly believe one feels the camera rather than the badge on the front. Hell, even do a blindfold test

My final point has nothing to do with camera gear. I am sorry to hear about your loss, I hope the pain is short lived and the memories fond. If you do decide to go ahead and purchase the new gear, get out there and enjoy it with all you have, I hope it brings hapiness to you and those around you.
    Last edited by fess67; 31-10-2013 at 11:00pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your condolences it did come on fairly quickly and has probably taken more out of me than I know at the moment as there are always things that need to be done that distract from it all really hitting home I think, but we'll get there.

If I get a zoom in the 18 - 150 range for general touristy type stuff on weekends @ 2.8 it may also come in handy indoors as well and something a little more compact but still thinking on that one. with regards the FF as I said not sure may have to look at hiring or borrowing one to get a feel I suppose may give me a better idea of what they are all about as I have never held or tried one to know.

I do a little indoor stuff now and then and was thinking between 85 and 105 f/2.8 might be handy on top of portrait so just trying to consolidate some ideas for when I might be able to finally make a start.

So thank you all for your input it will help

Photo Bizarro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose the real question is: what are you finding is the shortfall of your current setup? The gear you have already is quite good.

It might sound obvious, but until you find that your gear is limiting you, buying new gear is kind of counter productive. It can be easy to shift your focus from mastering your craft to having an impressive looking setup.

Aside from the above..
    1. For a portrait lens on a crop sensor I would probably recommend a 50mm, although it's debatable how useful you will find this lens given that you already have a 35mm which you say you only occasionally use? I think you'll find the 85 or 105 just a little bit too long in a lot of portrait situations.
    2. I'm slightly confused as to why you would sell the Sigma 120-400 and then go for a 150-500?
    3. If you're really deadset on having f/2.8, it's probably worth checking out the Sigma/Tamron lenses. They may not be quite on par with the Nikons, but they're still pretty darn good. If you can live without f/2.8, the 18-105 kit lens is actually really good, and dirt cheap.
    4. If you're not interested in landscapes or architecture, then don't bother with an UWA. If you are, I would recommend a Tokina 11-16 f/2.8.
    Last edited by nimrodisease; 02-11-2013 at 10:09pm.
    My name is John.
    www.jrfraser.com

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Nimrod for you thoughts.

The reason I was considering the 85 f/1.4 or 105mm was also for use indoors in lower light conditions where I can't get close enough with the 35mm and the other lenses are a little limiting without a decent flash at the moment.

The reason I haven't tried the 35mm as much is that when I do get to take the camera out I usually go down to the creek as a bit of stress relief trying for bird life but the idea of stalking for birds up large gum trees at my age to get that little bit closer well, it ain't goin' to happen and hence out comes the 120-400 and that is at it's limits when the birds are so high up.

Between 35mm and the 120 in a lighter weight lens apart from the 18-55 & 55-200 kit lens as a general purpose, I don't have anything and anything I do get from now on would be for the longer term.

I was speaking with a person today who did express similar thoughts as you have put forward and also suggested the new 58mm when more info comes out that, that one could be an option if it stacks up alright. So to have something else available in the slightly shorter focal length I thought could be a handy option but I still have some time yet so will be continuing to consider my options and which way I might go. I know the because I can position can be thwart with danger and so I am trying to consider what I do carefully and controlled as one of the big guns would be nice but on the D5000 Hmmm.

So in general am just looking at good sound viable options that still allow me to expand in other directions if I choose to later.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, sorry for your loss - I hope you and the rest of teh family can move on. Maybe your photos can keep happy memories more alive.
    I recently upgraded fromteh Nikon D40x to the 7100 and I am loving it. There's a lot to learn, and that's part of the joy. I felt I had outgrown teh D40X. I seriously considered a FF camera, but that would have meant more expense - the camera to start with, then all the lenses. I keep a 18-200 Nikon zoom on all the time, especially for ,as you say, "touristy things" and it is excellent: covers nearly everything and is not too heavy or bulky. Weight and bulk are other considerations for chasing birds or your "touristy things". I also have a f1.8 50mm prime for shooting indoor sports - another lovely lens and very quick, especially when the D7100 goes up to 6400+ ISO.
    Good luck with it all.