User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Views on using presets?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never use presets such as a, s or p mode.

Just manual...I like being in control of everything I do for my images.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that photography is one instance where the ends really do justify the means.

If you can produce arresting images using Auto settings, more power to you. If you can do it with a point and shoot, or a phone, again - well done! If you plan a shot to the nth degree and pull it off, great stuff.

In my opinion, great images are 90% inspiration and 10% technical. The technical aspects are learnable. The artistic aspects like composition, colour, etc are not easily learned.

That said, if you can combine natural artistic ability with a mastery of the camera you will create memorable images on a reliable basis.

Please note that I have mastered neither the technical aspects nor the artistic.
    Andrew

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a D700 but so if you mean presets = sports/landscape/portrait, then I don't use them because my camera body doesn't have them. I do use presets for my photos which are largely related to how it focuses, what the user customisable buttons do etc.

For example, if I am shooting portraits, I make one of the buttons used for switching off the flash so I don't have to manually switch off the external flash every time I want to take a photo without flash.

If I am shooting landscape, I generally don't need that often so I am happy to switch it off or use the button for something else.

If I am shooting sports, the method of focussing is entirely different to portraits, or even kids.

I agree with the sentiments about about shooting raw, but sometimes I will want to switch to JPG without post processing so the ability to use the right presets does help.

So yes, everyone (including pros although I am not one myself) use presets of some sort, even if it is just for camera function. Some of the most experienced professionals use presets and even share their presets for other newer users to benefit (Thom for example).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12