Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: First DSLR - D5300 or D7100

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First DSLR - D5300 or D7100

Hey guys,

I am new to these forums, and by initial looks, it seems very helpful. I am looking to get into some DSLR photography, but I'm deciding what camera to buy.

I currently own the Olympus PEN epl 3, but I'm looking to get to the next level, dslrs.

I wouldn't call myself a beginner as I have sufficient knowledge about how cameras work and how to get the maximum out of the camera, e.g. ISO, aperture, etc. It's not like I'll be using the Auto mode for all my shots. I like to shoot a variety of pictures, from wildlife to sports to landscapes when traveling.

Ive narrowed my options down to 3 cameras, the D5200, D5300 and the D7100. I know the d5300 comes out in a few weeks and I can wait for that but should I buy that, or go straight into the D7100?

My budget is roughly $1800 and I would like to buy the camera with a kit, I was thinking of getting the 18-55 and 55-300 kit. So what are your thoughts, will the D5300 be enough for me, or will I be overwhelmed with the D7100?

Thanks guys,

Mitchy8777

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I would go for as much camera as you can afford, the reason being is that if you decide to really get into photography then the D7100 is a better bet and will serve you better in the long run. Nothing worse than buying a camera only to find that you would like or require more features, the D7100 is a semi professional camera and better built as well. It has dual adjustment dials front and back which is an advantage IMO, as you can use the front dial for shutter speed and the rear dial to adjust aperture or visa versa, or you can use the rear dial as the aperture or shutter speed and the front dial set to adjust exposure compensation, which is how I have it set up. My brother just purchased the D7100 and the 16-85 lens, which is an excellent kit zoom.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO there are so many variables in this question that you need to consider better than we can. What I mean, as Lance mentioned, is what do you see yourself using it for now, and into the future? Certainly you want a camera you can 'grow' into (depending on how far that takes you) but at the same time I'd be comparing the specs of each against each other. I have the D5100 and, although it is an older model to the 5200 and 5300, when I really compare the differences I can't justify the extra $$ they attract for the features they offer over my version for what I use it for.

Also, if you have the $$ in your budget and are after a kit lens setup, consider a single kit lens and then having the opportunity to purchase a better spec'd lens with your $$ left over. Mine came with the 18-55mm and I've since purchased a couple of more lenses specific to the type of photography I'm finding myself drawn to. Recently it was the 10-20mm Sigma, before that an older but incredibly reliable 18-135mm lens which is great as an all-rounder.

But, if we need to consider those camera's you've listed: D7100. I've read in a recent Nikon magazine the increased specs in the 5200 and 5300 will only be apparent with decent quality lenses and skills. I don't think the D7100 has the vari-angle LCD view finder and I do find that very beneficial. Personally, with $1800 and just getting into DSLR photography I'd be partial to the D5100 body only and then two or even three decent lenses offering a variety of ranges (wide, prime, tele and macro); a flash and maybe even a semi-decent tripod and case. This offers so many options and opportunities to enjoy and develop your skills; and each step along the way you read more, learn more and become more comfortable and knowledgeable about this exciting hobby.

Whatever your choice, look for advice from here and other places on the web, do your research taking into consideration your wants and needs and in the end be sure to purchase what you want. Most of all...have fun!!
    Hi! I'm Bill.

Constructive critique on photos and suggestions and tips for editing is most welcome.
    Nikon D5100, D7000, Nikon 35mm, Nikon 50mm, Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 17-50mm, Nikon 18-135mm, Nikon 18-200mm, Nikon 55-300mm, Tamron 70-300mm
    SB-700 Speedlight, Manfrotto MKC3-H01

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you say you want to move to the next level in your photography, what can't you do with your existing setup?
    A list of your current limitation and a list of things you want your camera to help you achieve will let you arrive at a natural conclusion.
    Wildlife and sports photography will have me leaning towards a D7100.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should also have a look at the D7000, I know its an old model now but there are still specials to be found, for $1800 you should be able to pick up the body with the 16-85mm VR lens

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    & Welcome
    - lets see some photos in the main CC forums maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

As said above, the D7100 is much better than the D5300.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As with Swifty's reply.. what are you finding limiting with your current setup?

You may find an upgrade/update disappointing if you can't specifically work through this issue.

Of the two camera models listed tho .. Lance's reply makes the most sense.

No point in getting a D5300 which in some ways is more limited than what the D7100 can do for you ... down the track.
    That's not to say that a D5300 won't deliver good images.
    Some of the things that the D7100 can do that the D5300 can't.

better viewfinder
    better lens compatibility. That is full compatibility of features .. not just basic operation.(with the assumption that you have no interest in very old manual, non Ai lenses).
    better AF capability
    better flash support features.
    faster flash sync speed
    faster frame advance rates(although you won't notice this much)
    higher shutter speed(although the need or use of 1/8000s shutter speed is pretty rare)
    better bit depth on raw files(rarely needed, but handy to have for push processing)
    interval timer(if you ever want to do time lapse .. but this could easily be achieved with a remote control too on the 5300)

of course there are other reasons to go with a better body, these are just some.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started with a D3200 and found out soon enough I could do more with a better camera. I have since bought a D7100 and I can say it's great. Very happy with it and I bought it for $1038 Body only on eBay with free shipping. The price varies depending on the $AU. I have bought all my gear online and saved heaps. I would say go for the D7100 as you'll probably end up wishing you did if you buy one of the others. You can get a kit that your after (D7100 - 18-55 & 55-300) for $1439 on eBay. Most of these come from Hong Kong and you don't have the luxury of taking it back to the shop you bought it from, but you can save a lot doing that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just got a second hand d7k and 16-85 for $1000. really good price to performance ratio.
    Thanks,
    Nam

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are really hitting the wall with the epl3, then you'll soon find the d3xxx and d5xxx limiting. I'd suggest get a d7000 for a good price and spend the rest on good lenses.
    Just my opinion. Feel free to ignore

sent from a not-very-smart phone via tapatalk
    Matt
    CC always appreciated

My Website
    A Blog of sorts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought a "refurbished" Nikon D5100 including an 18mm to 55mm kit lens from an online auction site. The camera and lens appeared to be brand new when it showed up - apparently untouched. Being a naturally suspicious person, I checked the shutter count at the appropriately named www.myshuttercount.com and it came in at zero, discounting the shots that I had taken. I think it may have been display stock. Anyway, the camera and lens cost less than $450 postage included. Mate...the camera is brilliant.

I acknowledge the support of our sponsors and encourage you all to support them but if you can get a D5100 with lens for $450???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought my D7000 in June from eglobal for just over 700 bucks. It is a fantastic camera and I have no regrets dropping the extra money over the 5100, which I was also considering. For the money you get an AF motor, a much better and much more comfortable body, a 100% viewfinder, front and rear dials (a huge difference over the lower models) and a whole bunch of other stuff that I would never turn back from.

At that stage I had been using a D3100 for a couple of months and had already found it to be limiting, especially in terms of ISO performance. Image quality was also a huge step up. It sounds like you'll outgrow those two lower models pretty quickly.

Consider buying a grey import. 700 bucks for the D7000 gives you 1100 to play with for lenses and accessories. That could get you a Tamron 17-50 2.8 ($270), a 35 or 50mm 1.8 ($200 max), a sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 ($400) and a Nikkor 55-200 ($130). I just added it up and that kit comes in 20 above budget including shipping.

That will cover most types of photography to start with, or if you're into a specific genre you've got 1100 to drop on lenses you'll really enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'm Sam.

D810, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8, Nikon 16-35 f/4, Nikon 80-200 f/2.8. Sirui W-2204 Tripod w/ K-20x ballhead. Heliopan and Hoya filters.

My photos: Instagram | 500px | Flickr

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought the D7100 a few weeks ago, it is truly the best camera I have had so far, the previous one was a D7000, at the moment I take mainly birds so the extra crop 1.3x (normal is DX) factor in camera is great, I have taken a few macros, all were very sharp, the camera is easy to use and is much better than the D7000 and I didn't think I would say that. I can't show you any bird photos as after the rain they don't need the water at the little bush area I go to, I am going to buy the Nikkor 80-400 mm G lens but mostly use the Sigma 120-400 mm lens at the moment, it makes a great combination with the Sigma 180 macro too, so far I have only taken a couple of landscapes with the Nikon 18-70 lens and D7100, but they were sharp and the colour was excellent. I did post a macro today, I didn't do any sharpening to that image at all, it is basically as came out after stacking with Zerene Stacker, just b/w point adjustments.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by mcdesign; 06-12-2013 at 6:58pm.
    Margaret

Fuji XT2 Manfrotto MF 055XPROB Pro Tripod & gynbal head, Fuji 18-55 mm, Fuji 14 mm, Fuji 55-200 mm, Fuji 80 mm macro, Fuji 60mm macro, Fuji 100-400 mm, SB600 Speedlight, Photoshop, Lightroom on a Mac, Critiques welcomed