User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: New Nikon 80-400 mm AF-s FX VR G ED N Nikkor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Nikon 80-400 mm AF-s FX VR G ED N Nikkor

Has anyone used the new Nikon 80-400 mm that was released this year. Considering buying it for nature photography.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is already a quite long thread on this lens by Lance B

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...R-sample-shots

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Greybeard, Purchased the D7100 with 28-300mm Nikor lens 5 months back and was disappointed with how poor the lens handled over about 1oomm. As we were leaving on a WA trip to chase birds and tour the outback, I did a review of my lens options and despite the price opted to stay "pure" and get another Nikon lens being the 80-400 AF-S. Not at all disappointed, it stayed on my D7100 most of the 3 months and, apart from the weight, proved to be a fast focus, big clear zoom for all the wildlife we encountered. With any size lens, the closer you get to your subject the better the clarity but out to 30m with 400mm on 5.6/6.3/7.1 (depending on light) I could capture a small bird and use the image to ID the bird and crop the shot to get very useful mid sized images for my photobook. I look forward to comments from Lance or others on whether a TC1.4 will add any major benefit but for now it is a good lens/camera combo for a great trip full of amazing birds and animals. If nature is your thing and you are travelling thousands of KM's around our big OZ, it would be a pity not to have the gear to capture what you see and preserve those memories for years of enjoyment.