Thread: 6d shooters

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6d shooters

i know there are plenty of reviews out there on the 6d
    but i would like the opinion of forum members, now that they have used one for a while
    i am thinking of upgrading to full frame from 7d
    cheers macca

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I upgraded from 7D to 6D - worth it for image quality if you shoot people or landscapes - still use the 7D for sports and wildlife - and alternate between the two for Macro - overall prefer using the 6D - and if you keep the 7D it is worth getting it - if you intend selling the 7D, I would get a 5D mk III
    I have this silly idea, that I should actually go and take photos with all this photography gear I have already accumulated, before I collect any more!

See some of my photos here.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/David...5888662?ref=hl
    And my very randomly updated blog.
    http://davidarnold.wordpress.com/

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are like me and don't shoot action shots and don't need fast FPS. then the 6D is great value for its image quality and I have found it to be a solid performing camera.

Your choice of a 7D suggests you wanted an action shooting camera, in which case the 5DmkIII is your most direct FF substitute.
    If however it was more to do with the solid build of the 7d instead, then I am sure you would be happy with the 6D.

The 7D mkII might be worth the wait also, its a model I'm sure they will go to great lengths to not get wrong considering what a classic the 7D has become.
    No changes required for your lenses as well.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dave, dug and john
    thanks for the replies it all helps
    i am not sure if i will get rid of the 7d or just have the 6d
    been thinking of the 5d111, but a bit pricey at the moment
    i had a bit of a play the other day with 6d and liked the feel althgough i would grip it to suit my hand size
    the gps is not really a point for me, but the wifi is handy
    cheers macca

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had the 6D for a few months now, it suits me as i don't do action shots and i always stayed away from FF because of the weight, so the 6D has at least allowed me to own one, it is actually lighter than my 40D ...
    Julie

Canon 6D,Fuji X100
    l Canon 50mm f1.8 MK l l Canon 85mm f1.8 l Canon 100mm f2.8L Macro l Canon 24-70IS f4L l LR4/CS6

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks julie
    the first thing when i picked it up to try was thinking how light it was
    also very quiet when shooting
    cheers macca

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm interested to find out what you decide Macca, as I have a 7D and starting to think FF. Couldn't bring myself to part with it though.

Dave
    Dave.

5D Mk III & 7D

Ausphotography Regular basketballfreak6's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey Macca, i shoot with a 5d3 but have played with friend's 6d, if your focus is on landscape and portraiture 6d is a great choice, it performs slightly better noise wise at high iso (albeit it has a lower mpx count) and supposedly have less banding compared to the 5d3, and i am pretty sure you can swap out the focus screen without doing minor surgery like the 5d3 (which also voids warranty) which is great if you have fast lenses as you can change it to the high precision focus screen and i do believe the wifi is genuinely useful

but on the other hand the 5d3 is just lovely, it's just such an awesome "do-it-all" camera, so bloody versatile

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you for the reply bf6
    i am still thinking about it at this stage, i do not know if i would miss the speed of the 7d for car evw-ents etc and do not know if i really want two bodies
    cheers macca

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm very happy with my 6D, and being full frame means you can do a lot of cropping without losing quality. I also have a 40D which has always been fantastic as well, but I never use it now. The 6D really does everything I need and produces great images provided you use a decent lens. Given my time over again I'd still buy it.

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent camera IMO.

Was only let down by its max shutter speed of 1/4000th, as I shoot wide open at f1.2 or 1.4 to 1.8 quite a lot for work, it has overexposed naturally when I was using it as a back up camera.

Mind you I was able to recover blown areas quite well but I prefer to get the shots right instead of relying on post processing which doesnt work as well sometimes.

Anyway, would definitely buy one if it didnt have that problem. But for majority of the market its aimed at, they wouldnt be shooting wide open like I am 99% of the time
    Commercial/Editorial/Wedding work - www.jackietranphoto.com
    Travel Photography - www.wanderingasianguy.com

Broncolor lights up my world.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks jackie
    good recommendation from a pro
    cheers macca