Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5

Thread: Here's a thing... PayPal?

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a thing... PayPal?

The following email arrived the other day...

xxxxxxxx@yahoo.com.au

PayPal Balance Summary
    If this email doesn't look quite right, click here

PayPal Balance Summary

Your balance is $0

Your email

xxxxxx@yahoo.com.au

Date as of

6 October 2013

Hi Am Eerat42, (not my real name)

We couldn’t help but notice that it’s been some time since you used your PayPal account.

If it was something we said, or did, we’d love a chance to make things right. Please contact us, we’re ready to listen.

If you have forgotten your password, we can help. Click here and we’ll sort you out ASAP.

Plus check out these happy deals from some great brands.

Yours Sincerely,
    PayPal Australia
    So I thought, "Whot the hock! Such effrontery with their familiar approach!" AND "The LAST thing I need is to talk to 'them'".
    Then I thought, "If it really is PayPal, why should they worry if I use it or not? - Unless they charge an inactivity fee?"

Does anybody know? Does anybody care? Do I care?
    Am (or not).
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am, they only get paid on the percentage of money transacted through the account. No activity, no payment for them.
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    The following email arrived the other day...

So I thought, "Whot the hock! Such effrontery with their familiar approach!" AND "The LAST thing I need is to talk to 'them'".
    Then I thought, "If it really is PayPal, why should they worry if I use it or not? - Unless they charge an inactivity fee?"

Does anybody know? Does anybody care? Do I care?
    Am (or not).
    This look more like a scam than a PayPal message.

Did you check the mail headers to see if it actually originated from a PayPal mail server.
    Did you check if the embedded link actually went to a PayPal site and I don't mean clicking on it, just mousing over it should allow you to look at the URL the link points to, it should have a host name that ends in paypal.com (or maybe paypal.com.au) to have any hope of being valid.

If it did actually come from PayPal then you probably don't care, delete it. If you do want to do something about it go to the PayPal site independently in another browser window, don't follow the embedded link.

If it didn't (and it most likely didn't) then you do care, definitely don't follow the link and delete the mail straight away so you, or anyone else that might have access to your mail account, doesn't make a mistake and follow the link and possibly give these people your PayPal account information.

So, the point is, delete it, and don't follow the embedded link if you have any doubt whatsoever of the source of the message!

Ian

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't trust any emails that tell me to click anywhere for any reason. I received one too and deleted it immediately.

If I ever want to contact a company I will go to it's address directly, via a trusted url, and NOT follow any links supplied in an email. I think most reputable companies tell you to do exactly that.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta guys.
    Am(still wondering if I will click on a link and annoy them for their casualness).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldnt touch it with a 40 foot pole. Clicking on unrequested emails is bad.. Very bad.
    Cheers Gav

CC always welcome and encouraged
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/iscariotau/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As the others have said, ignore it, delete it, and live happy.
    I've had those emails as well plus, I think, eBay ones wanting me to update my details.
    I've even had some saying I've got messages on facebook. I don't do facebook.
    Canon 7D
    70-200 f4 L IS
    100mm f2.8 L IS Macro
    EF-S 15-85mm IS

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Delete it.
    This was the really message from PayPal (with now links);
    "Hi Mark L,
    Even though your current balance is zero, you can still shop with PayPal, instead we’ll draw on your selected funding source when you make a purchase.

Spring has sprung and before you know it, the silly season will be here. Take the chance to head off on a mini-break with a extra discount from Virgin Airlines. If you can't get away, enjoy a virtual shopping holiday with these other great deals below.

Yours Sincerely,
    PayPal Australia"
    Last edited by Mark L; 14-10-2013 at 8:27pm.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sick as, eh!!!

Ta to all for advice.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I had a dollar for every such email I've received in the past year .. I'd own ten Nikon 6mm f/2.8 ais lenses by now.(yeah! .. I'm greedy!! I want them all )

Little do this imbeciles realise that I actually do use my paypal account every so often .. well, ok, not by much, and my last purchase won't help the US debt impasse any($1.79) .. but it's not my fault that some things are so cheap
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *removed - read site rule 3*
    Last edited by ricktas; 15-10-2013 at 3:08pm.