Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5

Thread: View NX 2 - latest version 2.8.0

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

View NX 2 - latest version 2.8.0

Mongo still uses View NX 2 daily to view and sort out images. He finds it a very handy and easy software to use which can show virtually any image fro NEF, tiff, jpeg etc.
    the latest update free version of this software (version 2.8.0) was released today for any who are interested.
    Nikon and Pentax user

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw the pop up last night telling me there is an update, i basically haven't opened NX since getting photoshop.
    Is NX easy to use to sort and tag then PS bridge? (started tagging all photos since the thread about how to sort)
    Have an object that got click when i press a button!
    My Flickr

Psst... The name is "David"

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WarChild View Post
    I saw the pop up last night telling me there is an update, i basically haven't opened NX since getting photoshop.
    Is NX easy to use to sort and tag then PS bridge? (started tagging all photos since the thread about how to sort)

Not sure if NX2 is better than PS Bridge - MOngo has not used Bridge at all to view or tag. Certainly, NX2 is extremely easy to view and tag with and to change tags at any time.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    Mongo still uses View NX 2 daily to view and sort out images. He finds it a very handy and easy software to use which can show virtually any image fro NEF, tiff, jpeg etc.
    the latest update free version of this software (version 2.8.0) was released today for any who are interested.
    Oh! C'mon Mr M!! .. get with the program son! ..

2.8.0 is old news ... 2.8.1 is the 'appenin thing!

Seriously tho, no biggie if you're using 2.8.0 or 2.8.1 .. the only update is the added D610 and a new Coolpix camera.

The only reason I updated to 2.8.1 was that for some reason I was getting some shutdowns/crashes .. crashes as in shutdowns for no reason .. no other errors.
    But it had to do with an update to CNX2, as the crashes started immediately after an update to the latest CNX2 .. so some shared dll or file or driver or whatever caused some instability in VNX2(but not CNX2).

I should have updated earlier tho, as these crashes were using a 2.7.x version(can't remember exactly as I don't update regularly, if it's just a camera support update).

And what really bothers me about Nikon's software 'updates' is that they're not really updating much, as you'd expect at least something with a .X release at least.

I hate it when the version changes from 2.x.something(where .something is hardly ever a .9!) to 2.y.0 yet with no significant change to any feature, or performance increase or something significant ... it's just another camera update.
    ie. Nikon's version updates are a random mess! No rhyme or reason to them. That is, they'll update from 2.3.0 to 2.3.1, and then 2.3.2 .. but then the next update is to 2.5.0!

The only savings grace here is that we're surely at the limits of where v2 can go .. unless they get all steadfastly true to a coherent versioning/numbering system.

Once they hit v2.9.9, surely they have to go to a ViewNX3 at some point, which should mean at least a few feature/tool updates somewhere along the line.
    Something ... anything would be nice to see as a new feature or tool .. even if it's completely useless.

If they gave me some noise suppression control in View, the vast majority of my editing would be done there, and CNX2 would barely see the light of day.

Anyhow .. one can only dream.

- - - Updated - - -

OOh .. sorry forgot about the tagging line.

ViewNX2 is actually painful to tag with, unless you're 'organised' ... it's not very helpful for the process, unlike some other softeware.

BUT! if you want your tags to be viewed in other software(guaranteed!!) .. then ViewNX is usually better for tagging.

many times adding tags/metadata via Lightroom, where the info hasn't been recognised by some DAM software.

I can't remember them all, but the last one I trialled was called DBGallery. Quite a nice program, even if it was a bit rudimentary in some ways(ie. not a polished looking as some others) .. but in many ways DBGallery worked quickly and well .. but many images that I'd cataloged via LR3 or 4 failed to have any of that data recognised by DBGallery.
    I know it wasn't due to the trial nature of the software as the trial was a full working version, just time limited.

I still use IDImager4(and if you know about this then you'll understand why the trial of another software) . but also DBGallery is an exercise in learning more about databases too.

So far that I saw, all tagged info I ever entered via ViewNX2 was perfectly recognised in DBGallery .. no slight hiccups.

This is the only reason I go through the ordeal of repeatedly entering tagging info into my images via ViewNX2.
    (basically, I don't want to be held to ransom by Adobe over my information .. ie. I'm sure they'll break something in a few incarnations of their next software and you have to update to their latest if you want your data back in one piece .., etc, etc .....)
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    now NX-D - free as a beta at the moment
    http://beta.nikonimglib.com/

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaswebpics View Post
    now NX-D - free as a beta at the moment
    http://beta.nikonimglib.com/
    Already posted about here: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...his-one-coming
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography