Thread: D610 here...

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    David

Nikon D810
    Nikkor AF-S 24-120VR, Nikkor AF-S 16-35VR, Nikkor AF-S 70-300VR, Nikkor AF 50 f1.8
    Tamron 90mm Macro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was quick.

I guess that means we are unlikely to see any more firmware updates to the D600 or any possible fix to the shutter problem.

I wonder if they have an upgrade offer, or some program to get the new shutter installed in the D600.
    -- Mister Q

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You on the ball now do I buy one now or wait to see if any issues :/ ? looks like it might be a touch cheaper too. Come Aussie Dollar get back up their!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
    Last edited by glennb; 08-10-2013 at 6:52pm.
    Cheers Glenn
    NIKON D610
    FUJIFILM X-T20

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrQ View Post

I guess that means we are unlikely to see any more firmware updates to the D600
    Nikon have never shyed away from providing firmware updates for models that needed them even well into the model life or after a replacement body has been put on the shelves.
    What do you see as needing to be rectified in the D600 by a firmware update?

or any possible fix to the shutter problem.
    The affected shutter assemblies have been identified and those sent to Nikon for attention apparently have been successfully rectified.
    The one thing that does stand out is the number of "internet keyboard warriors" who continue to rant about it and in reality it would seem to be that either ---

A: They never actually owned the camera but were quick to post all over the net about it

or

B: They bought a grey market deal and have had no luck getting their camera serviced by anyone ---

I wonder if they have an upgrade offer, or some program to get the new shutter installed in the D600.
    Why would they?
    There is nothing wrong with the shutter in the bodies that have been either fixed or built after the problem was identified.

Oh, hang on, I get what you mean now. I would like the maker of my 3 year old car to upgrade the 5 speed gear box to the 6 speed that was released the model after mine.

Errrrrr, aint going to happen, guess I will have to stick with the "old" technology.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Err ... wishful thinking more than anything, but thanks for the massive reply.

Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    What do you see as needing to be rectified in the D600 by a firmware update?
    Nothing in particular, but there's no incentive for them to update anything other than critical issues now.

Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Oh, hang on, I get what you mean now. I would like the maker of my 3 year old car to upgrade the 5 speed gear box to the 6 speed that was released the model after mine.
    Actually, exactly like that. If you're happy to pay for the new 6 speed transmission and labour costs and assuming the part fits the car then you could get that done. A similar option from Nikon would be nice.
    Last edited by MrQ; 08-10-2013 at 10:18pm. Reason: Rethought the car analogy :)

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Err ... wishful thinking more than anything, but thanks for the massive reply.

Nothing in particular, but there's no incentive for them to update anything other than critical issues now..
    Ok, so there is nothing that really needs to be updated by firmware. There don't seem to be any critical issues that need a computer based revamp and you say that it is only wishful thinking on your behalf. What is it exactly that YOU want?

Actually, exactly like that. If you're happy to pay for the new 6 speed transmission and labour costs and assuming the part fits the car then you could get that done. A similar option from Nikon would be nice.
    Having seen your pre edit post about this situation ( email notifies the first response ) and considering all, are you saying that if an upgrade to the D600 shutter were made available to you at extra cost from Nikon that you would buy it? Or are you trying to say that you think Nikon should supply you with a newer part to fit your body at zero cost?

Cars and cameras are not radically different after all, new models are produced and in a large number of cases they are simply incremental improvements / modifications / feature additions on the existing model. They serve one purpose and one purpose alone and that is to make the manufacturer a profit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is still that gap that the D700 left behind.
    Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n | Nikon AF 35-70mm f/2.8D | Nikon AF 80-200 f/2.8D | Nikon AF 20-35mm f/2.8D | Contax Carl Zeiss 50mm f/1.7 | Leica Summicron-R 90mm f/2.0 | Metz 54 MZ-3

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You gotta wonder though, about 1 yr after the D600 launch with practically no difference in specs.
    Rightly or wrongly, this is viewed by some as Nikon distancing themselves from a (again rightly or wrongly) perceived potentially flawed product.
    So how does that make your suppliers and customers feel (those with D600s as well as potential new customers)?

I dunno. IMO a better strategy would have been to acknowledge and identify the affected batches as early as possible and send out the appropriate free service notice, including notifying owners directly if possible. Which would erase any lingering doubts there may be an issue for subsequent batches. Suppliers should be allowed to swap out any affected batches too.
    If the problematic cameras are very small in quantity, it's not a big loss to Nikon. They can fix the affected ones and resell them as refurbished units. If the problem is big, then they have only their QC/design to blame. But at least their public relations don't take a hit cos they're actively doing something about it.
    If you're a grey buyer, then that is a risk you take. But that's a separate issue altogether. Any disgruntled gray buyer or troll ranting online just needs to be pointed to the free service announcement page. At most people can complain about the inconvenience of a trip to Nikon service.

Doing a quick search it appears there's indeed a service announcement at least on the US and European Nikon pages published in Feb and updated September. Can't seem to find it on the Aus site. I can see the D70 BGLD and D2H hot mirror service announcement there though
    It describes the problem as 'natural accumulation of dust reflected noticeably in images in rare cases' (paraphrased) and doesn't identify the affected batches (maybe they never do it?). But by not identifying that it's an early batch problem does serve to propagate this lingering suspicion that you may/may not get an affected camera. By releasing a D610 in such a way further fuels the speculation that the D600 may be flawed.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    agree swifty...Nikon have made a pigs ear surrounding the D600 and its issues..and to release a new model to get some confidence back for new buyers is a right slap in the chops for D600 owners ...the D700 held its resale value and still does to some degree..the D600 has just had the legs cut of its resale value and owners can rightly be fed up with that .

Ive no idea about the amount of defective D600 in the wild....but any reasonable person can see why Nikon have made the D610...same as the SB900 Vs SB910 !
    Cheers and my name is Steve

OMD Em1...Now with two lenses !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_tompsett/
    http://tommo.smugmug.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *removed - read site rule 3*
    Last edited by ricktas; 20-10-2013 at 7:08pm.