Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  20
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is This Just Me...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is This Just Me...

Not too sure if this is the right place to post this, so someone correct me if I'm have this in the wrong location.

This is just me having a rant to get it off my chest and also wondering if it's happened to anyone else. I was in Canberra on the weekend at the Floriade. I was just about to take a photo, meaning camera was to my eye and I was in the process of focussing, when someone stepped in front of me, completely blocking my field of view, to take their own photo. I lowered my camera and said a rather polite "Excuse me", only to have the person look back over their shoulder at me and then turned back to take their photo. I thought their behaviour was quite rude.

Personally, if I see someone about to take a photo, I make a point of stopping and waiting for them to take the photo or I walk around behind them. I would never think to walk or stand in front of them. I think it's downright rude to do so. What does everyone else think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt it's unusual, and have had similar experiences; the attitude of some of these people seems to be that they see nothing wrong with their behaviour, and only care about getting their photo.
    Constructive critique of my photos is welcome and appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder what they would do if you immediately returned the favour and stepped in front of them.

Even better you could take their photo and if they ask 'what you are doing', reply " taking a photo of a buffoon".

Just a thought.
    Cheers
    Darey

Nikon user, Thick skinned and wanting to improve, genuine C & C welcomed.

Photographs don't lie ! - Anonymous Liar

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When you get these large events that attract crowds, it is bound to happen.

When I had this happen once, so I got in close and when their image came up on the LCD, I leaned in closer and told them they had composed it badly...hehe.
    Last edited by ricktas; 07-10-2013 at 8:52pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It happens a lot, mostly by people without cameras. I have been doing a lot of horse stuff lately. Taking the rather big and heavy 120-300 sigma lens. It's amazing how many turn around, see where your pointing the camera, then walk straight in front of it. For no other reason than being annoying.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Manners have not been taught in school, or at home for many years now.... We live in a world where being polite and respecting others are just outdated ideas pushed by old fuddy-duddies. Be thankful you didn't get glassed for your trouble.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a lot of people in this world who fail to recognise that anything exists out of their own little bubble. We see it all the time - working in retail was a great example. Road behaviour is a constant example of it. There are a lot of idiots in the world.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's why I love going bush...nobody gets in your way! Except your own annoying kids of course!
    Funnily enough I had the opposite experience recently shooting my daughter's netball final and my sons footy carnival. I am used to refs, coaches, and others walking in front frequently so am resigned to normally having several shots of blurry bums obscuring the play . But these occasions people either stopped or apologised or went behind.....very surprising.

sent from a not-very-smart phone via tapatalk
    Matt
    CC always appreciated

My Website
    A Blog of sorts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the opposite experience once as an assistant referee....idiot 'professional' (he was contracted paid, but his actions weren't professional) kept stepping onto the line at the other end of the field blocking my view. He was extremely close to being kicked off the park......

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks for all your replies. I'm glad it's not just me that thinks it's rude to walk in front of someone when they are taking a photo.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's one of the huge differences I found with having a DSLR. Prior to having it, if I was taking photos with my phone or P&S people would walk in front without a care no matter how obvious it was I was composing a photo to take, then just stand there chatting for a while not even looking at it. With the DSLR I've found people are MUCH more likely to pause, go around, or duck out of the way. Not entirely, but it's more likely to happen.

I'm yet to have anyone be so blatantly and almost purposefully rude as the OP describes, though. That's just horrible. In my examples it's more ignorance and lack of awareness so although I got annoyed I just accepted it as circumstance.

For myself personally I'm a huge fan of common courtesy and showing regard and awareness for those around you, but if someone shows a blatant disregard for even basic common courtesy I have no problems at all returning the (lack of) favour, on purpose, even if it puts me out. I am the person who changes my line to shoulder-charge or walk directly through someone trying to get onto a train/elevator before letting those trying to depart exit first (everyone else who is waiting I turn my shoulders for and make myself as small/fluid as possible), etc .
    Last edited by BastardSheep; 09-10-2013 at 12:01pm.

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happens to me regularly. As Bastard Sheep says above, some even stand there in front of you talking even though they know you are waiting to take a photo. People with DSLR's are generally more observant, polite and will walk around and patiently wait for you to finish before barging in front. What amazes me is that many see you taking a photo, but still barge in front, apologise and still continue to take their photo anyway as if apologising makes it all right! However, most people are polite, especially when they see that I have a "serious" camera, as they call it.

Depending on what I am photographing, one of my favourite tricks to to just barge in front of those who have just barged in front of me as I more often than not have a wider angle lens than they do so I still can get the scene. I know two wrongs don't make a right but they generally get the message that they were rude in the first place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Times like that, it is probably a good thing there is no such thing as a working light-sabre. I'd have charred bits of idiots all around me.
    D 5200

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnBloodbeard View Post
    There are a lot of people in this world who fail to recognise that anything exists out of their own little bubble. Road behaviour is a constant example of it. There are a lot of idiots in the world.
    Ain't that the truth. It never ceases to amaze me how insular some people can be. You are sitting at a set of lights known for short phasing of a green light and there is a lot of traffic so, I am always at the ready to get going knowing that the quicker I am to react, the more people will get through the lights and therefore clear the backlog. However, it amazes me how many people are half asleep, or are doing something else and leave a large gap before they end up moving off and this has the effect in that the sensors in the road think there is less traffic and therefore turn the lights red quicker. If these people had been paying attention and moved off quicker, many more cars would have been able to get through but no, they are more interested in their own little world to care about whether others get through the lights.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    However, it amazes me how many people are half asleep, or are doing something else and leave a large gap before they end up moving off and this has the effect in that the sensors in the road think there is less traffic and therefore turn the lights red quicker. If these people had been paying attention and moved off quicker, many more cars would have been able to get through but no, they are more interested in their own little world to care about whether others get through the lights.
    Or the ones who just pull on front of you and then do 10kph under the speed limit, until they get to an overtaking lane and then find another gear to exceed the speed limit by 10kph so you can't overtake. The first Holden that comes with a 50 calibre machine gun will be my next car.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I purposely get in front of as many photogs as I can. Can't have them taking better photos than me.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can give a prime example after an incident today.
    I do a lot of photos for work functions. Today I had an important opening of a new complex within our organization. The were dignitaries from State and Federal governments, authorities from various health organizations, and of course all of our board members. Plus a heap of locals.

I had a prominent position with all the important people just about to cut the ribbon. When these two inconsiderate stupid woman (I could say worse) jumped right in from with their friggen iPhones when the ribbon was cut.
    Therefore I missed the most important image for the day.

It's not as if I had a p&s. I had the D800 with a fairly decent lens, and I had been walking around taking photos for two hours prior. So they would have seen me, and knew what my job was. The guy from the local paper who was right next to me, just shook his head in disbelief. What made it worse was the two stupid woman were part of the federal member's travelling group.....

EDIT: I think I'll call them a pair of Mark L's (Is that rude enough)
    Last edited by geoffsta; 10-10-2013 at 9:53pm.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get used to it Geoff. Happens all the time. I did a job for a charity here and had their PR guy wandering around with his iphone taking photos at the same event. I see on their Facebook page all the crappy iPhone photos are there, and none of mine which were gar superior t6o anything he took. I got paid, but it just makes me shake my head and hope nobody thinks they are my photos. Best you develop a death stare Geoff. It usually works for me.

Ausphotography Regular Nick Cliff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geoff ,I had to laugh when some top flikr photographers were discussing the types of characters hogging the best spot then being deliberately being slow at iconic spots in US National Parks,one guy said he found if you look a little crazy ,have some torn trousers and a few days growth and just set up your gear in front of these characters after they have had a opportunity to photograph they didnt have the nerve to question him when he would briskly set up his professional equipment and fire away,a man with a mission,regards nick.

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only had it happen rarely. In fact when using an ultra wide I've had people stop to allow me to take the photo not realising they were actually in the frame.
    Glenda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast