User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: 2014: Competitions and Member Challenges

  1. #1
    Administrator ricktas's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Jun 2007
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    15,128
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    2014: Competitions and Member Challenges

    The moderators and I have been looking towards 2014 and our plans for the competitions on Ausphotography and the 2014 Members Challenge.

    We have come up with an idea, linking the two.

    For 2014 our plan for the Photo of the Week is to base the entire year on photography genre, interspersed with open (no theme) competitions and the occasional special theme. What we are thinking is we have something like the following:

    Jan week one : Open competition
    Jan week two : Candid Portaiture
    Jan week three : Open competition
    Jan week four : Pet Portraiture
    Jan week five : Open competition
    Feb week one : Sea/water scapes
    Feb week two : Open competition
    Feb week three : Bird photography
    etc

    Then our plan for the Member challengers would be to supplement the competitions with themes that give members a chance to 'practice' on genre they would not usually do, before the matching competition theme comes up. Something like this:

    Jan week one : Pet Portraiture
    Jan week two :
    Jan week three : Sea/Water scapes
    Jan week four :
    Jan week five : Bird Photography
    Feb week one :
    etc.

    We would then have to fill in the blanks with non genre based themes, but this gives you an idea of what we are planning. So we would have a member challenge based theme that a couple of week's later becomes the Photo of the Week competition theme.

    We would like your thoughts on all this.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

    Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

    RICK
    My Photography

  2. #2
    Member dutch2's Avatar
    Join Date
    18 Sep 2013
    Location
    Gawler
    Posts
    225
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the idea and mixing things up makes for interesting challenges.
    Thanks.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    17 May 2013
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    184
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like this idea. Having the chance to practice in the challenges, looking for feedback and advice would be hugely beneficial in building confidence to participate in more competitions.

    My only other contribution to this discussion is in the time frames surrounding these. Will you be able to find enough genres and themes to fill a year based on a weekly turnover? In saying this, has any thought been given to extending one or both of these to either fortnightly or monthly?
    Hi! I'm Bill.

    Constructive critique on photos and suggestions and tips for editing is most welcome.
    Nikon D5100, D7000, Nikon 35mm, Nikon 50mm, Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 17-50mm, Nikon 18-135mm, Nikon 18-200mm, Nikon 55-300mm, Tamron 70-300mm
    SB-700 Speedlight, Manfrotto MKC3-H01



  4. #4
    Administrator
    Threadstarter
    ricktas's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Jun 2007
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    15,128
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro View Post
    I like this idea. Having the chance to practice in the challenges, looking for feedback and advice would be hugely beneficial in building confidence to participate in more competitions.

    My only other contribution to this discussion is in the time frames surrounding these. Will you be able to find enough genres and themes to fill a year based on a weekly turnover? In saying this, has any thought been given to extending one or both of these to either fortnightly or monthly?
    Yes, we only need 26 different genre threads, cause every second one is going to be an Open/Special event competition, thus we would have 26 genre based challenges and in between each one a non-genre based challenge. In fact we already have a plan for the entire year, and the order they will occur (the above is just an example, not the real week/theme).

  5. #5
    Ausphotography Regular MissionMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    28 Feb 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,620
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't looked through all of them but how often do you expand the genre's to include additional topics like Mobile phone photography? these days, mobile phones are sometimes the only cameras we have with us
    Fuji XT-2, Fuji VPB-XT2, Fujinon 16-55 f/2.8, Fujinon 50-140 f/2.8, Fujinon 23 f/2, Fujinon 35 f2, Fujinon 90 f/2, Yongnuo YN560 IV, Yongnuo YN560 TX, Benro C3580T
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/atholhill
    https://www.instagram.com/themissionman/


  6. #6
    Administrator
    Threadstarter
    ricktas's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Jun 2007
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    15,128
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    I haven't looked through all of them but how often do you expand the genre's to include additional topics like Mobile phone photography? these days, mobile phones are sometimes the only cameras we have with us
    mobile phones are not a genre. Genre are based on subject matter, not what was used to take the photo. However some of the open comps/other challenges could be about differing aspects of photography.

  7. #7
    Ausphotography Regular
    Join Date
    09 Nov 2009
    Location
    Kalgoorlie
    Posts
    1,153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree the concept of having a member challenge preceeding the POTW theme could be good for people wanting to practice for the upcoming comp. My only concern would be around the anonymity of entries as the practice shoot is likely to be very similar to the competition entry.

    Is there a calendar of event themes? I cannot see one. It might be good to have that so people can plan ahead.

  8. #8
    Administrator
    Threadstarter
    ricktas's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Jun 2007
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    15,128
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fess67 View Post
    I agree the concept of having a member challenge preceeding the POTW theme could be good for people wanting to practice for the upcoming comp. My only concern would be around the anonymity of entries as the practice shoot is likely to be very similar to the competition entry.

    Is there a calendar of event themes? I cannot see one. It might be good to have that so people can plan ahead.
    We would make members very aware in the challenge threads that their competition entry cannot be anything like their challenge entry(s). If they were they would get disqualified from the competition(s).

    There is not a list of the themes at this time, as we are just getting member feedback on it all. Once it is finalised, I will publish the entire 2014 plan, with the proviso that we retain the right to amend it, in need.

    However to get an idea of the range of genre, just look at the member critique forums: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...Members-Photos

  9. #9
    Loves The Wildlife. Mary Anne's Avatar
    Join Date
    19 Dec 2009
    Location
    Brisbane Southside.
    Posts
    32,836
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Weekly Competitions genre every second week would be good for Members
    I do enjoy entering the Weekly Challenge Rick though doing it by genre every second week does not appeal to me at all, though could appeal to others.
    Of course it all depends which genres were selected.
    My 52/2011 Challenge

    I shoot with Canon And Olympus Cameras



  10. #10
    Administrator
    Threadstarter
    ricktas's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Jun 2007
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    15,128
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    The Weekly Competitions genre every second week would be good for Members
    I do enjoy entering the Weekly Challenge Rick though doing it by genre every second week does not appeal to me at all, though could appeal to others.
    Of course it all depends which genres were selected.
    hehehe. and that is the whole idea...getting you (as in members, not you in particular) out of your comfort zone.

  11. #11
    Ausphotography Regular JoPho's Avatar
    Join Date
    29 Jun 2012
    Location
    Mandurah
    Posts
    1,014
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    . However some of the open comps/other challenges could be about differing aspects of photography.

    This please!!!
    Been here, not done that.


  12. #12
    Ausphotography Veteran salnel's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Nov 2010
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    3,849
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the members challenge..it makes me think and I have certainly taken shots of things I would never have thought of even looking at!! Different genres would be good!
    D610 and D90 with a 16-35mm f/4,a 70-200mm f/4 ,a 300mm f/4 +TC11 convertor, 18-200mmDX and 85mm micro Dx.

    Sally...CC always appreciated

    My Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/salnel

  13. #13
    Ausphotography Regular Cargo's Avatar
    Join Date
    09 Aug 2011
    Location
    Cairns
    Posts
    1,705
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea I think .....
    I also love the weekly challenge, it is a challenge and I think it has taught me a lot over the past year, this years has been great not so oblique as the numbers one
    Any direction, which I have found the challenges gave me, is good particularly when you feel flat and uninspired (which seems to happen occasionally to everyone) so these challenges keep my hand in when nothing else does.
    So I'm looking forward to see what you come up with for next year.
    Thanks for putting the thought into it and asking for ours too
    Cargo

  14. #14
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    16 Jul 2010
    Location
    Frenchs Forest
    Posts
    2,171
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    hehehe. and that is the whole idea...getting you (as in members, not you in particular) out of your comfort zone.
    Getting out of a comfort zone is good - but not if the genre is too difficult to access for some members. I guess in that case they would just have to skip that week.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    17 May 2013
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    184
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had that happen; not where the theme was too difficult, but where I couldn't find the time to get a picture composed for the weekly challenge. I found the challenge still helpful in that I looked at what others contributed fort hat week and thought about how I might have done something similar or not.

    I'll also be the first (maybe) to admit when I do get a challenging theme I will use Google images and see what others have done in the area to get ideas, inspiration etc. That research, the new ideas and then use of the camera, flash, settings, composition, software editing all add up to I get from these challenges and POTW opportunities.

  16. #16
    Administrator
    Threadstarter
    ricktas's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Jun 2007
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    15,128
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rafikicat View Post
    Getting out of a comfort zone is good - but not if the genre is too difficult to access for some members. I guess in that case they would just have to skip that week.
    Sure and we do not expect all members to enter all comps. We thought Genre based comps with a member challenge a few weeks before using the same genre, might just encourage more to give it a go.

  17. #17
    Member Mistfox's Avatar
    Join Date
    18 Jun 2013
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I haven't entered a any of the comps yet but what are the member challenges and where do I find them?

    Thanks

  18. #18
    Moderately Underexposed I @ M's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 May 2007
    Location
    Marlo, Far East Gippsland
    Posts
    4,864
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistfox View Post
    Hi,
    where do I find them?
    At the link below.

    http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...BER-CHALLENGES
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.



  19. #19
    Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Join Date
    21 Nov 2010
    Location
    magical Mudgee
    Posts
    16,362
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistfox View Post
    Hi,
    I haven't entered a any of the comps yet but what are the member challenges and where do I find them?

    Thanks
    And if you want the specific one being refereed to in this thread ....... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...lenges-52-2013
    Not to late to get involved each week Mistfox.

  20. #20
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    06 Aug 2012
    Location
    Semaphore
    Posts
    530
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This sounds like a great idea! I'm assuming this would be a 52 week challenge? I love how this all knits together, well done , cheers Deb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •