User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ausphotography wants YOU!..well just one of your photos really.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ausphotography wants YOU!..well just one of your photos really.

I WANT TO DO AN EXPERIMENT

I would like some members to email me a photo. In particular a land/seascape photo. I also want you to tell me what camera it was taken with.

I want a photo that has NEVER been on Ausphotography. I do not mind if you are an absolute beginner or an advanced professional photographer. All I want is a land/seascape photo in Ausphotography size (1024 pixels max on the longest edge, and under 250kb). The less post processing the better! Conversion from RAW, white balance adjustments, levels adjustments, curves adjustments, sharpening allowed. Basically 'whole of image' editing, but you cannot selectively alter the photo. No cloning, no editing of particular colours. But the less editing the better!

I want photos from a range of camera brands so if you do not shoot with the 'big 2' then by all means offer me a photo.

WHY?

I am going to start a thread with a set of photos in it. Your role, as members, will be to 'vote' in the thread, on which photo was taken with which brand. Let's see if a particular brand is identifiable by the photos taken with it.

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO!

Firstly send me a personal message here on Ausphotography, letting me know you are happy to send me a photo, and what camera brand it will have been taken with. Once I get a good range of brand/photos, I will post to this thread again advising I have enough photos. I will then get those participating to email their photo to me.

I will then create the thread and you can all have a go at voting on which photo was taken with which brand.

LET THE FUN BEGIN...hehe

Please do not post in this thread that you want to send me a photo. Let's keep this anonymous as possible. But also feel free to commment in this thread in general on the whole idea.
    Last edited by ricktas; 05-10-2013 at 6:08am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice idea Rick... But I question "white balance adjustments, levels adjustments, curves adjustments, sharpening allowed."
    I think it should be only.. Convert to JPG and Resize. Virtually straight from camera. I think this will level the playing field for all. From beginner to advanced..
    Just a thought

EDIT: Also images should be taken in RAW where possible... Smart phone exempt...
    Last edited by geoffsta; 05-10-2013 at 8:04am.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffsta View Post
    Nice idea Rick... But I question "white balance adjustments, levels adjustments, curves adjustments, sharpening allowed."
    I think it should be only.. Convert to JPG and Resize. Virtually straight from camera. I think this will level the playing field for all. From beginner to advanced..
    Just a thought

EDIT: Also images should be taken in RAW where possible... Smart phone exempt...
    happy to discuss the editing I suggested, further. What does everyone else think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point re reducing number of variables re editing ,may be simpler.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I disagree. We all edit our photos to the way we want them to look. Having them come straight from the camera is therefore pointless and proves nothing.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    I disagree. We all edit our photos to the way we want them to look. Having them come straight from the camera is therefore pointless and proves nothing.
    Are you disagreeing with the idea behind this thread, or the edit/don't edit part?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice point Lance... But the idea behind Rick's suggestion is to guess which brand of camera. Not the skills of the photographer in editing.
    I believe without the normal editing it will level the images out for beginner through to advanced. It will also show the skills of each brand of camera. Which I think Rick is aiming at..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This will be interesting.....

I have noted that Nikon is better with colour than Canon .... well, thats what I have noticed, so this thread will show if it is true or not!!

I like the idea BUT don't have major edits as this will not show how the cameras truly perform (i.e. colour).
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone who has sent me a photo so far. I would still like a few more, so if you want to have one of your photos included, PM me.

The reason I am doing this via PM is so that other members cannot see who has offered up an 'entry' and thus have knowledge of members/brands etc

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Are you disagreeing with the idea behind this thread, or the edit/don't edit part?
    The editing part. I have no issue with the thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by geoffsta View Post
    Nice point Lance... But the idea behind Rick's suggestion is to guess which brand of camera. Not the skills of the photographer in editing.
    I believe without the normal editing it will level the images out for beginner through to advanced. It will also show the skills of each brand of camera. Which I think Rick is aiming at..
    The problem is not all cameras treat their RAW outputs the same. A case in point being that some cameras look sharper straight from the camera, ie those without AA filters which will give them an advantage over those without. So, I think you should be able to at least sharpen them up as this will make the playing field more level.

Also, I see nothing wrong with adjusting white balance as some scenes may have a trickier lighting than others and thus may disadvantage that camera simply because it may have not rendered it quite right. Nothing really to do with the camera per se, just that the lighting was difficult and any camera may have had an issue. Unless each camera has photographed the same scene, it will not be a level playing field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Easy fix Lance.... Choose an image that has good white balance!!!!!!! And that is reasonably sharp... Remember.. It's not the TOG that is being judged. It's trying to guess a brand of camera.
    Now if you have doubts about your D800's abilities, I'm worried. As I have one as well...

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, this is about whether your camera brand really matters, or if particular brands have a 'signature' that can be recognised.

The less PP the better. I just suggested 'whole of image' editing as a means for members to correct exposure/saturation issues only.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have

Canon
    Nikon
    Fuji
    Sony
    Olympus

If you shoot with another brand, please email me a photo: rick@ausphotography.net.au
    I would like to get some more brands before I get this up and running.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I now have Pentax as well.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh no...that sounds serious. Have you seen a doctor about it!?

.....sorry, couldn't resist that one.

sent from a not-very-smart phone via tapatalk
    Matt
    CC always appreciated

My Gallery
    Even More Pics

Ausphotography Regular Geoff Port's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick,
    I'm probably missing something here but if I send you a photo and its added to a group of others won't I immediately know what brand all the shots in that particular group are taken with?
    EOS 60D and a couple of lenses.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Port View Post
    Rick,
    I'm probably missing something here but if I send you a photo and its added to a group of others won't I immediately know what brand all the shots in that particular group are taken with?
    group?

What I am going to do is put the chosen photos randomly into a thread, numbering each one with an identifier. Then members get to post a reply saying which camera brand they thought took each photo. There will be no 'groups' ??

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattNQ View Post
    Oh no...that sounds serious. Have you seen a doctor about it!?
    Don't worry Matt, it is curable, all the inflicted person has to do is to be able to spell Hoya, Ricoh or Pentax and name the next owner of the company. Actually, one correct answer from four cures you.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Yes, this is about whether your camera brand really matters, or if particular brands have a 'signature' that can be recognised.

The less PP the better. I just suggested 'whole of image' editing as a means for members to correct exposure/saturation issues only.
    i dont think camera brand alone can be the only variable to consider, unless all brands use the same quality lens.
    cc and enjoy

Photography is painting with light

K7, Pentax 18-250mm zoom, Pentax 100mm macro, Sigma 50-500mm
    Velbon Sherpa tripod Photoshop CS6

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudman View Post
    i dont think camera brand alone can be the only variable to consider, unless all brands use the same quality lens.
    Muddy, I tend to disagree. For a long time I reckon I was able to pick images from one brand or another based on saturation and natural colour etc. These days I am not so sure.

Lenses really don't enter into the equation because I feel that the cameras "behave" differently enough even if they are fitted with identical 3rd party lenses, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina Zeiss etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast