User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Canon EOS M

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canon EOS M

Anyone using this camera? would be interested in your comments as I am thinking of ditching my 5D Mark 11 because I'm getting older and cant be bothered carrying it around ...
    Cheers,
    Trish
    Canon 5D11 - various lenses, mostly primes.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Trish,
    Do you intend to use your existing lenses via adapter or buying new native lenses. If via adapter, I would suggest that a 100D wouldn't be much bigger than an EOS-M with adapter attached and in both cases, your lens weight will still be the same. Both are APS-C sensor sizes so it might be useful comparing the two.

If you intend to buy new native lenses from scratch, I would suggest you reevaluate your shooting style and pick a system based on that.
    Going from a FF, mostly prime system I 'd suggest you look at either:
    Leica M digital or Fuji X system, depending on your budget.

The Leica M also uses FF sensors with lots of top quality primes but prices are very expensive and focusing is manual via rangefinder or digital aids.

The Fuji X uses APS-C sensors with either EVFs or hybrid finders with a partially fleshed out set of lenses consisting mostly of primes and 1 kit zoom (high quality I believe).

The only other suggestion would be Sony NEX which currently uses APS-C sensors but the mount is large enough to accommodate FF as demonstrated by one of their own video cameras using the same mount. Sony's heavily rumored to release a FF NEX soon but of course native lens release will take some time to catchup.

You could of course still consider EOS-M with their native lenses too but selection is currently very limited although Canon's also rumored to be relaunching their EOS-M range soon with likely both a high and low end model. I'd assume some lenses will be announced at the same time. There may be run out sales of current EOS-M so you might be able to pick one up really cheap.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Swifty, thanks for your advice, much appreciated - I too have read rumours about a new EOS M. B&H [USA] have really good discounts available on EOS M and their current lenses at the moment so will wait till the end of month before buying to see if any more info becomes available.

Am planning on buying the lens adaptor as I have several good prime lenses, however if the lenses for the EOS M are good will changeover as they are a lot smaller than, say, my 17-40.

Thanks again,
    Trish

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really keen on an EOS M as an everyday walk around camera. Played with one at the digital show last week. I'm going to wait for the upcoming announcement though, I'm hoping for built in Wi-Fi and the sensor/focus system from the 70D, if it has those, then I'm in!
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made a move from 5D mkII almost a year ago.
    Only for my personal photography, I will still use a big SLR to shoot a wedding, for example.
    For all other things, and especially for travel I switched to a mirror-less camera.

I miss the fast auto-focus of a big camera, but i never miss the weight.
    And the image quality is as good as before.

Unless you shoot professionally or shoot fast action photography you will certainly be happy with the switch.

I did not switch to canon eos-M, tho...
    I shoot with fuji x-e1 plus 35mm f1.5, 18-55 f2.8-4.0 and 1962 Super-Takumar 135mm f3.5

J
    “Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst" – Henri Cartier-Bresson
    **Commercial Link Removed by Admin**

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use EOS 5D Cameras and I also wanted a smaller camera ('as well as' not 'instead of').
    I looked at the Canon EOS-M - obviously because of the lenses that I already have.

However, IMO Fuji has a much MUCH more elegant solution.

For me the answer is the x100s - as I don't really want another interchangeable lens kit. And the all-up price is also a factor.
    But for you, I concur with CandidTown- and I think it would be a good idea for you to have a close look and the Fuji X-E1 and also the Fuji X-Pro.

I believe that an X-Pro2 is on the way.

WW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Trish,
    I am a eos m user and I use it to complement my 5dm 2 and 3.
    I chose the m over other brands knowing it was not best in its class however the interchangeability with the rest of my equipment made it my ultimate choice.
    I recently used the camera as part of my equipment on a month long tour of the south Island of new Zealand and proved it's worth throughout the trip.
    It has many handy attributes, one of the best is that I found that I had effectively doubled my lens bag because of the sensor crop.
    The movie mode was as easy as any I had used.
    The touch screen, while a taking a little while to become accustomed to is big and bright and easy to see for those who have less than perfect eye sight.

You will need to carry extra batteries as it is a power hungry unit to run mainly because you are continually using the the aforementioned screen to compose and shoot.

Overall I am very happy with the m and it will remain a valuable asset to my kit.
    N.A.C.S! (not another canon shooter!)
    Gripped 5D m3, Gripped 5D m2, Eos M body, Go pro Black, 17-40L, 24-70L, 50mm f/1.8 , 100mm f/2.8 macro, 24-135mm EFs, 70-200 f/2.8L, 580 exII, 530 ex
    www.f13magazine.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to buy an EOS-M for my wife, but was put off when I tried it in-store. As reported in various reviews and forums, the AF was woefully slow. The main reason I even looked at it was the fact that with an adapter she could use my existing lenses. Maybe the next version will be better.
    Mark

Canon 70D w/Grip l Canon 60D w/Grip l EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM l EF 70-200 f4L IS USM l EF-S 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM l EF 100 f2.8 USM Macro l EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS STM l EF 50 f1.8 II l Canon EF-S 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM l 430 EX II Flash l Rode Stereo VideoMic l Manfrotto 055XPROB + 498RC2 Tripod l Benro MP-96 M8 Monopod l Lowepro Vertex 200 AW Backpack l Lowepro Pro Runner 300 AW Backpack l PS CS5 Extended l Lightroom 4.3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can hold off for a while, I would wait for the new version of the M to come out with the dual-pixel sensor.
    It will be one of the fastest focussing ILC's. The current is woefully slow.

The Fuji's etc are also very good, but if you have to buy new lenses and accessories, it will be an expensive purchase for you.

Personally, I'd be looking at the Canon 100D. Not much bigger or heavier than CLC's, and it still gives you those things that only an SLR can give you like instant AF, manual controls etc.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Complaints about woefully slow AF seem to have been sorted with the firmware update a couple of months ago.