Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Hosting recommendations please?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hosting recommendations please?

Hi all,

Having some big problems with hostpapa again. My account was suspended for 3 days for this specific problem, including email access of course. Their customer support team just didn't provide any support...they didn't even email me telling me they were suspending the account or telling me what the problem was. Turns out the problem was a backup file of the blog, which they said was 'unnecessary for the operation of the website', and therefore a violation of terms. Anyhow, this just another of the problems i've had with them, and one too many,.

Anyone got any recommendations for hosting companies?

Thanks, Peter
    I welcome comments and critique. Say it like it is.. I'll appreciate your input. Suggestions on how to improve are always very welcome.

You are free to edit my images as long as the results are posted in the thread you took the image from and nowhere else.

www.facebook.com/teacophotography
    www.teacophotography.com.au

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Real support is a bit thin on the ground from my experience. I've just dumped three different hosts for similar reasons. If you are trying to get a god unlimited disc space host, stay away from Unlimited-Space.com whose accounts are not unlimited. They block your IP address when you're doing something as simple as using the FTP program they promote on their site. They also prevent you from running a full backup if you have a large account. So much for being unlimited. Dreamhost was another I used and had the same support problems where if the problem didn't fit their automated system, you were up the proverbial creek without a paddle. I was also with Netregistry before they stopped offering unlimited cPanel accounts. Now with Servage.net. Haven't been there long so can't give a recommendation. My website is around 80Gb at the moment.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    hostgator used to serve AP, and they offer a good deal for smaller sites. Once AP grew it became to big a site (several GB) and we were doing to much bandwidth for them. but for a smaller site, they offer a good reliable service
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
    My website is around 80Gb at the moment.
    Isn't that rather large - 80Gb? I'm not an expert but have a bit to do with Education Queensland site which is nowhere near that big.
    Photojournalist | Filmmaker | Writer | National Geographic | Royal Geographic

D3x and other gear.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redgum View Post
    Isn't that rather large - 80Gb? I'm not an expert but have a bit to do with Education Queensland site which is nowhere near that big.
    Couldn't care less what the education department site is like. I sell images on-line. Do they?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They probably couldn't care less about your photos either but my question was "isn't that rather large?" I've got no idea - I don't need a website to sell my photos.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The answer then is no, it's not. There are not many large jpg images in a Gb of data. I'm sure other photographers who photograph events and then sell on-line will have similarly large hosting requirements. The OP may not require large disc space either. Some do though.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you are going to host large files (1gb etc) then you also need to consider the bandwidth allocation that any hosting service offers. Some packages have limits of how much bandwidth you can use, and hosting companies quote bw as upload and download. Something else to consider.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry should have added more detail. I don't sell photos online and bandwidth requirement low.

Will have a good read of your answers when i get home and check various companies out.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    hostgeek who sponsor our photo of the month might also be worth checking out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive been with Digital Pacific for years and not 1 problem yet. Their plans a pretty good and its all hosted in AUS
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced