Regards
    Minya

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks.

I understand that this is the newer version of this lens - signified by "PZD". I understand that the lens has a good reputation although I have not used it. If this lens is being offered to you at no cost, then I suggest that you take it.

Of course if the lens is being offered to you for sale; then that is a different matter - it really depends how much the user wants to sell it for and how much you can do with that money if you otherwise put it towards a new lens - or eventually towards two news lenses.

One consideration that you should make is that this Tamron Lens is "Superzoom" lens - that is neither good nor bad: but, it does mean that there are compromises in the design and the functionality.

As a direct comparison - Canon make two very low cost zoom lenses EF-S 18 to 55F/3.5~5.6 IS and EF-S 55 to 250 F/4~5.6 IS. These lenses are often bought together as a kit with a new camera and many Photographers use none other than these two lenses: one of my Students has a kit which comprises an EOS 400D and these two lenses, with one prime added to it (EF35/2) - and that kit is very handy - she creamed the NSW HSC Art Exam with a Band 6 and her Major work was selected for Display - subsequently she has shot a few jobs for money and has entered several competitions with good to very good results.

The point I am making is - the Canon "EF-S Kit Lenses" present very good value for money and can produce very good quality work. The Tamron Lens is a good lens also, but if it is being offered to you second hand and at a price that is equivalent to or amore than the price of the EF-S 18 to 55 F/3.5~5.6 IS lens new - then, even though the Tamron has a greater zoom compass, I suggest that you think closely about how you want to spend your money.

The overall general advice I would give to you is to NOT spend a lot of money on this first lens - as already mentioned a new 18 to 55 can be got for just over $100 - and my advice is to get either it or the Tamron 18 to 270 but to spend only about $100 on which ever you choose and then take a lot of Photographs and learn a lot and ask a lot of questions and then you will better know where you should spend your money - and even IF you need to spend it on other lenses.

WW
    Last edited by William W; 16-10-2013 at 9:14am. Reason: corrected a typo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12