Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shutter & brew - camera / coffee

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser ShutterandBrew's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Shutter & brew - camera / coffee

Introducing Shutter & Brew, camera stuff, coffee and always a happy place to be

I wanted to start this thread to personally introduce our new business, Shutter & Brew. We are based in Brisbane and are in the process of creating a unique business that combines cameras and coffee. I have been working as a professional photographer for the last 6 years shooting residential properties, hotels and resorts etc. Over this time I have been asked numerous times if I could offer tuition so after much thought we decided to change the direction of the business, rent some space and start holding lessons. This idea grew into what will now be a coffee shop that also sells hand made camera related goods and also offers tuition, primarily to the complete novice or to anyone who wants to fine tune their fundamental knowledge.

This thread will also serve as a place to share ideas we are having and to gather feedback. Please feel free to offer your advise and ideas, this is the first venture like this we have undertaken so all and any help is appreciated.

Following are the key points / highlights of our business.

The Coffee side

• Great coffee locally roasted by Clean Skin Coffee.
    • Quality equipment from La Marzocco and Mazzer.
    • Home made sweets, including biscuits, slices and cakes.
    • A range of savory treats.
    • Locally sourced milk and where possible ingredients for baking.

The Camera side
    • A unique and eclectic range of hand-made camera related goods sourced from Makers local in international ( no mass produced items ).
    • Tuition, short 1-on-1 lessons dedicated to 1 subject ONLY per lesson.
    • Shop organised photo outings.
    • Shop organised photo tours ( coming 2014 ).
    • Gallery space - Monthly opportunities for photographers to show their work, for sale and for exposure.
    • A place for photo groups to meet and discuss, hold club meetings etc ( open at night by appointment ).
    • Drop off point for film processing.

In a nut shell, I want a fun business that doesn't take itself too seriously, I am not the greatest photographer and certainly not the greatest barista but we aren't trying to win awards, just offer a great place for like minded people to come and chill out, drink coffee and talk photos. The best part is you don't have to be into both, we won't be serving coffee in lens mugs etc, to the casual observer it is just another coffee shop but for us photographers, the hope is it will be something a little cooler

At this stage we are due to open at the beginning of November from Shop 2 - 65 Newman Rd, Wavell Heights.

Some BEFORE pics ( taken the day we got the keys ) In a previous life it had been a butcher, 2 hair dressers and a deli.

Exterior-A.jpg

Shop-Interior-C.jpg

Shop-Interior-G.jpg

If you would like to follow our progress please have a look at our Facebook page - SHUTTER & BREW
    Thanks for looking....Cam.

SHUTTER & BREW

- CANON - 5DII - 17-40L - 24-70L - 70-200L - 50MM - 580EXII X 4 - MANFROTTO 055XB / 410 GEARED HEAD - VARIOUS OTHER STUFF!
    - FUJIFILM - X100S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PLease take this comment with all sincerity... "I truly hope it works for you." It sounds like such a wonderful place.

Good Luck and thanks for the intro

danny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been following you on FB.....I can't wait to see your end result. I will def come in for a coffee or two (or three?? ) when visiting Brisbane. All the best...I think it is a fantastic idea.
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a great idea - hope it's a great success.
    Glenda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been following you on Facebook also. Good luck with your buisness. It is a great idea. Hope I can get to visit one day.
    Barbara

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wandapics_photography

K-x. Sigma 18-125mm 1:3.8 - 5.6 DC HSM, Sigma 28-80mm 1:3.5-5.6 Macro, Sigma 100-300mm 1:4.5-6.7 DL. Sigma EF-610 DG Super Flash,
    MZ-60. Adobe Photoshop CS2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks a great idea and good luck with it. Bit too far for some of us though...john

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your feedback.

IDEA #1
    Camera / Coffee Swap Meet

- I want to have an opening event within a month of opening etc and then run it yearly. My thought is to hold a swap meet and open it to people with both camera related OR coffee related goods.

We have a spare block of land next to the shop that I can use so it would be a perfect place to put up some 3 x 3 marques and let people swap away

Thoughts??

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a photog, I had a bit of fun on Saturday doing this ...... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...-Treasure-Hunt
    So you could have sold me a coffee as I pick up the form with the themes. Then a bite to eat when I bring back a USB with my photos. Then there's local publicity when you have an exhibition opening that night. Would take a bit of organizing though. Just a thought.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S, a speedlite, a tripod, a monopod, a remote release and a padded bag to carry things in.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for pointing that event out, I really like the idea, reminds me a little of old car nav rallies I did when I was younger This idea is a little simpler than one I was thinking about the other day so perhaps I may look more into this concept.

The biggest thing will always be filling spots and getting people there. I am trying to expand my social network ( as a photog ) but I'm so busy at the moment I haven't shot a single no iphone photo in nearly 2 months!!

Thanks again for your feedback.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just updated our Facebook page with a few of the products we will be selling

https://www.facebook.com/ShutterandBrew

Camera themed cushion covers

Up-cycled lens ring cuffs / bracelet

Straps from Holdfast

Straps from Tap & Dye

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should set up shop in Brunswick ;-)

When are you opening? Are you selling your products online, or just trying to use an online presence to get people in the door?

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone, just a quick update, been very busy setting up the shop. We are unofficially open this week from Wed - Sat 6.30 - 2.30ish. Still ironing out some wrinkles but the coffee is on and the doors are open so come and say Hi

@CapnBloodbeard. Nothing online at the moment. Everything we sell is already online with their various makers but I like to touch and feel so thought it might be nice to have some stuff in the shop.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks great. Looking forward to hearing you are packing them in!
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The place looks fabulous! Wish I lived in Brissy! Great idea for a business and wish you the very best of luck with your endeavour. Make sure you have a post option on some of those wonderful accessories !!
    D800 Nikon 70-200 VR II, Nikon 105 2.8, Nikon 24-120 f4,
    Sigma 85mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Sigma 35mm 1.4 DG HSM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was there this morning for a capachino great place
    Dwarak Calayampundi

Canon 5D Mark II, 7 D Lens Canon 24-105mm L Canon 16-35mm II L Canon 100mm Sigma 10-20mm Canon 50mm 1.8
    http://www.wix.com/dwarak/landscapes

Ausphotography Regular landyvlad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found out about this shop the other day and will have to pop over... assuming all is going well ?
    Panasonic Lumix FZ200 / Samsung Galaxy Note 5 / LR 5 & PSE 12

Constructive Critique of my work is highly valued so have at it !

"I may be crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong".
    There ought to be a recall on all photo editing software to remove the vignette function.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by landyvlad View Post
    I found out about this shop the other day and will have to pop over... assuming all is going well ?
    Their facebook page has what is happening, in the way of food, drinks and photographic discussions: https://www.facebook.com/ShutterandBrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A great combination - coffee and cameras - will make my way over there after Easter!
    Carole

Canon 550D|Canon 15-85mm|Canon 70-300mm|Canon 100mm f2.8 macro|50mm f1.8 II|
    Sony NEX 6|Sony 16-50mm| Sony 55-210mm|Sony RX100
    www.carolelloydphotography.com

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello everyone, just a quick update to let you know our website is now live, have a squizz http://www.shutterandbrew.com.au

For those of you who have popped in thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the website looks great!
    I'll be sure to pop by when I am next in Brisbane

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast