Introducing Shutter & Brew, camera stuff, coffee and always a happy place to be
I wanted to start this thread to personally introduce our new business, Shutter & Brew. We are based in Brisbane and are in the process of creating a unique business that combines cameras and coffee. I have been working as a professional photographer for the last 6 years shooting residential properties, hotels and resorts etc. Over this time I have been asked numerous times if I could offer tuition so after much thought we decided to change the direction of the business, rent some space and start holding lessons. This idea grew into what will now be a coffee shop that also sells hand made camera related goods and also offers tuition, primarily to the complete novice or to anyone who wants to fine tune their fundamental knowledge.
This thread will also serve as a place to share ideas we are having and to gather feedback. Please feel free to offer your advise and ideas, this is the first venture like this we have undertaken so all and any help is appreciated.
Following are the key points / highlights of our business.
The Coffee side
- Great coffee locally roasted by Clean Skin Coffee.
- Quality equipment from La Marzocco and Mazzer.
- Home made sweets, including biscuits, slices and cakes.
- A range of savory treats.
- Locally sourced milk and where possible ingredients for baking.
The Camera side
- A unique and eclectic range of hand-made camera related goods sourced from Makers local in international ( no mass produced items ).
- Tuition, short 1-on-1 lessons dedicated to 1 subject ONLY per lesson.
- Shop organised photo outings.
- Shop organised( coming 2014 ).
- Gallery space - Monthly opportunities for photographers to show their work, for sale and for exposure.
- A place for photo groups to meet and discuss, hold club meetings etc ( open at night by appointment ).
- Drop off point for film processing.
In a nut shell, I want a fun business that doesn't take itself too seriously, I am not the greatest photographer and certainly not the greatest barista but we aren't trying to win awards, just offer a great place for like minded people to come and chill out, drink coffee and talk photos. The best part is you don't have to be into both, we won't be serving coffee in lens mugs etc, to the casual observer it is just another coffee shop but for us photographers, the hope is it will be something a little cooler
At this stage we are due to open at the beginning of November from Shop 2 - 65 Newman Rd, Wavell Heights.
Some BEFORE pics ( taken the day we got the keys ) In a previous life it had been a butcher, 2 hair dressers and a deli.
If you would like to follow our progress please have a look at our Facebook page - SHUTTER & BREW